Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

GreenGloves.26
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2017, 7:03 am

Yesterday I finally went to the psychiatrist.
The main reason I did was because there's a new person living in my house, and since she's my father's girlfriend somehow she feels she can move things from one place to another and that's driving me crazy. I've had several meltdowns over the past weeks and I can't stand her sight, so I avoid her by staying in my room and simply ignoring her.

Then he asked me about social situations and when I told him I felt uncomfortable in most social situations, didnt go to clubs or bars as people my age, and that I really don't feel the need to have friends unless they have a purpose (i.e. they're intelligent so I can talk to them about astrophysics/medicine or sex). Also, my commitment to socializing greatly depends on the amount of stress I've had to deal with earlier that day, because it kinda builds up and on some stressful days it becomes unbearable keep making the effort. I can't still talk to people but I'm just awkward.

He now suspects I suffer from Social Phobia with mood swings, but from what I keep reading over and over again I'm quite over my social phobia. I barely talked to my parents as a child and nobody else, really. But now I've learned how to do that, I even know how to do small talk and actually enjoy it to some extent.

Do you think it is consistent?

Edit: I forgot to mention he is my father's psychiatrist and I feel he is biased since my father suffers from bipolar/borderline. I know there is a hereditary quality to it, but he should be looking at the patient before him and consider all possibilities.