Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MadZat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2017, 7:53 am

Hello everyone,
my name is Matt and I'm from Germany. Please excuse my english but I learned it mostly by watching The Wire over and over again. I'm an aspergian which I didn't realize until I was 28 years old. My fiancee which knows a lot about autism more or less diagnosed me (She loves me anyways). And suddenly many things made sense to me. I always was kind of a weird kid, but I was successful in sports and in school, so it was never a problem. Also my parents gave me everything I needed. I only had two real friends during my childhood and adolescence, and both were extremely intelligent (but not autistic btw). They are PhDs now.
I started struggling with my asperger after I finished university as a Diploma-Engineer in Material Science. I had good grades but I failed completely at my first two jobs. I had to do Saleswork for a few weeks and I was probably the worst salesman in history. Now I do kind of boring office work by checking official documents for errors. My parents always tell me that I'm too gifted for these kind of work, but I have no idea how to use my skills better.

But I registered at wrongplanet for a different reason. I am the father of a beautiful girl of 15 months. And it is very obvious that she is autistic too. The signs are very clear and I read that my autism could likely be inherited. Now I feel guilty. I always wanted to have a lot of children but now I really think I shouldn't reproduce any further. Having an autistic child is difficult but having two of them would be impossible for my fiancee and me to manage.

So! Now you know me. Best regards from Germany.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2017, 10:05 am

Hi, welcome. :) Don't feel guilty - your wee girl has exactly the parent she needs.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:00 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:24 am

I have two sons--one is AS (though apparently to a lesser degree than I was as a kid) and the other is completely NT. They're only a year apart and have a great relationship. Honestly, though I love both my sons, our shared mentality means I relate to my AS son much more easily.

I don't think this really answers your concerns--just my experience.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:57 am

your english is just fine, i think. watching shows or movies is seemingly a very good learning resource for languages...i ought to try more of that for hebrew!

i hope this site can be a good enough resource to helping you navigate your issues. welcome to the club. 8)

what are the "signs" you see in your daughter? maybe, just maybe...it may be manageable after all and you will not have to permanently shelf our dream of having many kids. it's a very early age.

just a thought. :idea:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.