Terrorist attack outside UK Parliament in London

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

At least two people are dead in a terrorist attack outside the UK Parliament buildings in London. The attacker plowed his vehicle through a crowd of pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, and then tried to smash through the gates onto the parliament grounds. He stabbed a police officer and was shot. Parliament sessions suspended, and buildings on lockdown. More details coming out through the day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 ... ly-shoots/

There Are Four Lights!

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm

I've been watching this unfold since it happened as I was already watching the news. It was just one idiot guy but he managed to kill a couple of people.

Also there's like an entire schools worth of kids inside the parliament while this happened, cause they usually do school trips there.

I hope those people on the London eye don't need to do a wee. They've been on there for 3+ hours lol. At least they got their £30's worth. xD

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Mar 2017, 1:10 pm

anniversary of the attack in Brussels last year

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2017, 2:46 pm

Lunella wrote:
I've been watching this unfold since it happened as I was already watching the news. It was just one idiot guy but he managed to kill a couple of people.

It may be "one idiot guy", but his MO matches jihadist tactics. Add in the description of the perp as "Asian" (that's a euphemism in the UK), and I think we all know where this is heading. I don't know if it was ISIS-planned or ISIS-inspired, because frankly I don't think it matters anymore (except for part of knowing where to target. That still matters).

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:01 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
Lunella wrote:

It may be "one idiot guy", but his MO matches jihadist tactics. Add in the description of the perp as "Asian" (that's a euphemism in the UK), and I think we all know where this is heading. I don't know if it was ISIS-planned or ISIS-inspired, because frankly I don't think it matters anymore (except for part of knowing where to target. That still matters).

These vehicle+knife attacks are now a standard ISIS technique in western countries. They have been happening in many places -- one on an Ohio university campus just a few months ago. If you search for five minutes you can find many more examples, and statements from ISIS encouraging followers to use this very technique -- just buy a long kitchen knife, load up your truck with gas, and kill as many people as you can. 42 virgins in paradise will be your reward.

There Are Four Lights!

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2017, 3:25 pm

Darmok wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:
Lunella wrote:

These vehicle+knife attacks are now a standard ISIS technique in western countries. They have been happening in many places -- one on an Ohio university campus just a few months ago. If you search for five minutes you can find many more examples, and statements from ISIS encouraging followers to use this very technique -- just buy a long kitchen knife, load up your truck with gas, and kill as many people as you can. 42 virgins in paradise will be your reward.

42? I guess martyrdom doesn't carry the same virgin value as it did a year ago.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 4:14 pm

If you keep arming terrorists in the Middle East and keep on blowing up the Middle East and Africa, while pouring people into your country from those areas, this is bound to happen. Making out this is just down to religion is beyond ignorance. Other attackers like this have just been druggy or drunken losers, one had a copy of "Islam For Dummies". This will be used a pretext to censor the internet.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:30 pm

Lunella wrote:
I hope those people on the London eye don't need to do a wee. They've been on there for 3+ hours lol. At least they got their £30's worth. xD

OMG, it costs almost 40 dollars to ride a Ferris Wheel----that's WILD!!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:35 pm

I've heard it was 72 virgins, or 64 virgins. Never merely 42 virgins.

All kidding aside---this was an attack which should make people think.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 7:35 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Lunella wrote:

In the UK, especially London, everything is expensive.

At least the attacker didn't get more people than he did.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:10 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Lunella wrote:

It's not just a ferris wheel. It is a London landmark.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:12 am

It was awful when it happened. I have friends and family who live and work in London (one is a met po) and I was so worried about them I was hoping it wasnt them. I literally was praying it was someone else and that makes me feel sick.

I'm going to say something very cynical here but I'm so glad it wasn't worse.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:53 am

Thousands may not have died but it's been huge news over here and it's been appalling. Two civilians died, the assailant killed a police officer defending our Parliament's safety, and some twenty were injured, several of whom have been described as having "catastrophic" injuries.

Several arrests have now been made presumably of associates of the assailant.

We have our flags flying at half-mast as a mark of respect for the dead and injured.

London is now under increased police presence in most busy areas. One of the people who died was a woman walking across the bridge on here way to pick up her kids from school. This has been a very grim time here in the capital.

It's not the number of casualties of the preventing of it being worse that causes the damage. It's the attack on the public psyche also, the attack on our very seat of government that is also symbolic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:03 am

As it should be....

I am troubled by what happened.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:48 am

Truly horrible stuff, RIP the victims.

For some reason it doesn't make me more worried about future attacks. Maybe because of the nature of the attack, it doesn't feel like some mastermind who evaded authorities, feels a bit 4 Lions like, if you understand that reference.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Mar 2017, 8:56 am

I would think the fact that the guy wasn't a mastermind makes it even more scarier since how can prevent an attack like this?