How can I find something I don't suck at?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ObsessiveHF
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2017, 1:44 pm

I have been finding I am just bad and inefficient at everything it seems like. I'm now 27, when I was younger I was more eager to try things because I didn't realize it would end up the way other things did - mediocre performance after much effort. Is there anything I can do to go about trying to "find" myself like young people stereotypically do or should I just put everything I've got into becoming mediocre at a job so I can survive long term? There might be something out there I can become good at but I'm not really good at discovering new things. I know why I've failed, so it's easy to rule out things.

Currently my parents support me, so I don't have an immediate reason for panic of becoming homeless or hungry but I feel like I'm getting nowhere fast.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 1:59 pm

You might try to identify what is "easy" and "hard" for you.

Can you do repetitive tasks?

Do you like to solve puzzles.

Are you satisfied with doing something that just meets minimum standards or do you need something that allows you to put in a good effort? Or would you prefer that there are no standards at all?

Because Aspies are so different, it seems to me that a "good" job involves matching secondary issues.

Some companies don't actually want you to work hard, they just want to do your job without getting upset customers. They know they don't spend enough to make anyone happy, but know the customer will keep coming back because the prices are so low. 8O

RnzWithSizzors33
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Mar 2017, 7:01 pm

I have had that same issue all my life. I eventually found a job that allowed me to tap into my artistic side - cake decorator. :) I went from mediocre at every other job to exceptional at this one. It is quite a great feeling. So maybe focus on all the possible things you could do that relate to your hobbies and interests, and things you are good at. Best of luck to you!

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 7:06 pm

Thinking about the work environments you do or don't want can help narrow down the options. If you can handle something that changes pretty much yearly like IT, or if you want to avoid that. If hands-on work appeals to you or not. Etc.

Nav_Aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2017, 7:25 pm

I'd offer to you that you should look towards a job that you enjoy, even if you are horrifically bad at it.

If its a field that you're passionate about, the quality of performance will quickly follow.

I've found that having to a job that I hate generally results in a poor quality of life. Work quality soon begins to suffer. When I have a job that I love, work quality quickly excels.

If you're on this web page, probably starting with fields that Aspergers/Autistics excel at (Computer Programmer, etc) might be a good starting point to try your hand at.

Hope that helps.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:54 am

Try this job explorer: https://www.mynextmove.org/

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2017, 4:42 pm

If you don't mind filling out long forms/quizzes/tests, you could go on a site like assessment.com (an example, there are many others) that does testing to find out what careers suit people.

I found my report from such a site interesting reading, it certainly gave me some ideas when I was looking to change career path (pre my diagnosis). And advice on both what I would suck at, or find unrewarding, as well as what jobs I might not.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 5:20 am

It can be very hard to evaluate yourself objectively. You may ask for help from your parents to help identify a areas of potential.

JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2017, 1:51 pm

If you find out let me know.

I am still in the process of my diagnosis, but my psychologist said I likely have some form of processing disorder (dyspraxia) along with autism and my ADHD. Medication does not seem to help much so far, except for it being a bit easier to multitask without as much confusion. I served for over 20 years in the military but I had a different job at every duty station. It helped keep me from really sucking at a job. (Except recruiting) My Voc Rehab Counselor at the VA suggested a general degree such as Business Management because of my broad background and tendency to change jobs. Since retiring from the military less than 5 years ago I have already been through 6 jobs (Factory work, big box retailer floor associate, administrative assistant, investment accountant and now management analyst)while looking for #7 just in case. Blew through the Praxis Exams to be a Business Ed or Tech Ed teacher as well. I get to a certain level of complexity in a procedure or task easily and then it is like hitting a wall and my brain can't hold the steps and information together well enough to complete it.

Good luck

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 2:25 pm

Maybe you are putting too much pressure on yourself. I think this may stem from our school system. You get pushed to get a good grade, to go on into higher education, to get a good career. The set us up for a fall.

Most people just muddle along. I don't think you are that different to most people.

What were the pros and cons of your previous jobs?
What do you want out of a job? What is your main goal? Money? Satisfaction? Something easy and stress free, but dull?

I used to be so bored at work, so I went back to college. Now I'm in a more satisfying job, but I'm tired and stressed. There's 2 sides to every coin. I think I was happier with the boring job. I wish I'd known that back then.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 5:00 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I used to be so bored at work, so I went back to college. Now I'm in a more satisfying job, but I'm tired and stressed.
What did you study in college? What is your satisfying but stressful job?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 5:12 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I used to be so bored at work, so I went back to college. Now I'm in a more satisfying job, but I'm tired and stressed.

Web development. It's a field that is always changing, I'm always needing to learn new techniques and coding.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 11:19 am

Since I don't know you at all, I don't know if you're a fast typist, or have a clean criminal record, or are capable of walking, or are capable of giving scripted responses or commands to others, or are first aid certified, or are a good swimmer, or have your own vehicle, etc. Could you list basic skills/training?

Depending on your answers, you might make a good lifeguard, security guard, house sitter, Hello Alfred employee, court stenographer, church organist/accompaniest, etc.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 9:15 pm

hurtloam wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Web development. It's a field that is always changing, I'm always needing to learn new techniques and coding.
Neat! :)

What's it like?

One of my goals is to get promoted from testing to development since I find testing a little tedious. I did a small development side project in January and found it much more interesting.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 5:10 am

Retrogamer

There's some good advice in this thread on Quora
https://www.quora.com/If-programmers-are-in-such-demand-why-are-companies-not-hiring-people-with-skills-that-lack-on-the-job-experience

Basically you have to do projects in your own time and then when you can apply for a job you can show them examples of work you've done.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 3:17 pm

It's important to find out what you want to do. If you settle, you might get bored and your work performance might suffer, leading to higher demands and stress.