Do you dread getting old?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2017, 3:23 am

MSBKyle, I totally understand the worrying about the future because I do it all the time. I have a phrase that I try to live by, I don't always succeed but I try. "Worry never makes the future easier, it only makes the present harder." I am 64 and there are a lot of things I don't do now that I did when I was younger but I have also found new things to do. Two years ago, I bought a jet ski and it is my favorite thing to do now. Picture a grey haired old lady speeding around a lake on a jet ski. :D. I am sure as you get older, you will find new things to enjoy too. Just take it a day at a time, easier said than done, I know. Enjoy what you can today and when you get older there will still be things to enjoy. Don't let tomorrow's worries rob you of today's joys. I am very much looking forward to retirement and not having the stresses and responsibilities of a job.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 3:31 am

There's nothing in life for me. I can't grow old and die fast enough.

InNomineLux
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2017, 10:19 pm

I've resisted getting older every step of the way. I didn't want to potty train (and I still have a fixation with diapers), I snuck my pacifier until I was past four years old, puberty sounded like a death sentence, and I seriously considered suicide at 17 so I would never be an adult. I'm 25 now, so obviously I reconsidered. I don't know if it's an autism I-don't-like-change thing or what. I still feel like a child, inside. I'm asexual; the only interest I have in sex is the fact that it gives me anxiety because I feel like I'm not living up to society's expectations, as an adult and a male besides. But really, I could never have it and be totally fine.

"But every time I look up, I see them: glowing arrows in the sky, dotted lines and circles, a great chart that explains it all; and I ask you, how can I know all of this? How can I understand, and not try to explain? How can I see the dotted lines so bright and tangible, and deny them?"
-Welcome to Night Vale

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 11:50 pm

I don't give a crap anymore...

One of my favorite friends died, he was 25 I am almost 28 f**k it someday I will get old and die if not before. What is old age when anyone can die at any freaking time no matter what. OMG might get old and wrinkly well at least you didn't die in a f**king coal train trying to get out to California..not like you personally that is just how I feel now.

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2017, 1:13 am

So sorry to hear about your friend.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2017, 3:50 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

One of my favorite friends died, he was 25 I am almost 28 f**k it someday I will get old and die if not before. What is old age when anyone can die at any freaking time no matter what. OMG might get old and wrinkly well at least you didn't die in a f**king coal train trying to get out to California..not like you personally that is just how I feel now.

Commiserations Sweetleaf on the passing of your friend.
Try and find some reasoning at this point in time.

I personally believe,everything happens for a reason and we die at any age,for a reason,we have no say.
When it's time,it's time.

My mother died a few years ago,in her sleep,she had emphysema.
On the day,she had a fall and refused to go to hospital.

I didn't cry at her funeral,because i knew she endured daily suffering and was now in a better place.
The suffering was over and she was now back with her loved ones.

Perhaps your friend was suffering in this life too?

Life ain't fair,nor meant to be easy,it's about experiences,good and bad.
It's what we take from those experiences and moving on to the next one.

Life,there's no rule book on what it's about,but reasoning in some way,is some cold comfort.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2017, 3:54 am

I don't dread getting old,i dread death itself.

A very long anguishing painful death,the physical pain of dying.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 3:59 am

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Commiserations Sweetleaf on the passing of your friend.
Try and find some reasoning at this point in time.

I personally believe,everything happens for a reason and we die at any age,for a reason,we have no say.
When it's time,it's time.

My mother died a few years ago,in her sleep,she had emphysema.
On the day,she had a fall and refused to go to hospital.

I didn't cry at her funeral,because i knew she endured daily suffering and was now in a better place.
The suffering was over and she was now back with her loved ones.

Perhaps your friend was suffering in this life too?

Life ain't fair,nor meant to be easy,it's about experiences,good and bad.
It's what we take from those experiences and moving on to the next one.

Life,there's no rule book on what it's about,but reasoning in some way,is some cold comfort.

how patronizing of you.

there are no details about how he died as far as i have read.
it may have been an accident or it may have been misadventure or it may have been suicide.
i don't know.

one thing i wonder is who is in the sadder position. sweetleaf or her friend?

her friend, if he died for a reason he did not approve of, was robbed of all the experience of the rest of his life.

that is extremely sad if you are atheistic and believe this is your one and only chance at experiencing in the whole time of the universe.
i mean every second of consciousness is inconceivably precious.

but on the other hand, if one is an atheist and believes that when he died he just popped out of existence, then he would never have even known he died.
he would be totally gone from any subjective experience of his loss.

but those that are left behind and still alive are the ones that still have consciousness to lament the passing of someone they truly knew and connected with.

it is a brutal realization that every life you love will come to an end.

there is no explanation or soothing remedial advice that can be given.

so maybe you should not try to showcase yourself in this situation.

don't reply because you know i am unlikely to answer you.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 9:17 pm

i just turned 27, and the hair on my head is slowly, year by year, going away.

you'll find those things actually don't matter. i used to dread it, but now i just accept it. i'm not less of a person for it. i'll just shave my head or wear hats when the day comes.

Deathbox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2017, 10:07 pm

Nah. I've been balding since I was like 19 and I've always felt like an old soul, so it doesn't bother me.

I still get carded like I'm 17 though, so whatever. I can't tell if it's because I look 14 or act 14.

886 wrote:
i'm not less of a person for it. i'll just shave my head or wear hats when the day comes.

Take it from me, you get used to shaving your head, or at least trimming it military style. Your hopes and dreams of having long, flowing hair again (if you ever had) get flushed down the toilet, but it's alright. Just don't ever convince yourself that a comb-over is cool, because it's not.

Sweetleaf wrote:
What is old age when anyone can die at any freaking time no matter what. OMG might get old and wrinkly well at least you didn't die in a f**king coal train trying to get out to California..not like you personally that is just how I feel now.

If NDE's mean anything at all, it actually seems like a pretty euphoric experience from some of the studies that exist.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 8:59 pm

The other night I typed a long message about my fears of aging and my problems being middle-aged now, but when I tried to submit it I GOT THE FREAKING ERROR MESSAGE! AGAIN!! ! So whatever WP I'll just go and kill myself now.

flownawy

08 May 2017, 12:08 pm

I already felt with 14 old and now, double the age, i am feeling like a grandpa.

I also was scared to "getting old", but that is youth BS, gettin old is very good for a aspie, it is a great excuse!

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2017, 12:51 pm

No, not at all. I just hope I won't have to live with constant pain or early onset dementia.

I look at oldies around me and I see people living life slowly, liking their little routines, tea in the garden, bingo, good book, pocket full of some random hard candy, people telling me all sorts of stories, able to savour little precious moments in their lives.
I wouldn't mind losing all my mid-30s stress, work work work, "will I be able to provide for my child" anxiety... I don't care much about my looks or losing them, oldies around me are often unattractive but they are among other unattractive oldies so who cares :D I wouldn't.

I'd like to stay healthy as long as possible though, and independent. Not a burden to anyone. That's about it, apart from that - vision of old age seems rather nice. I used to be a volunteer at old people's charity and they sure had fun in their lunch clubs, at day trips, they had free lessons (language, computers, Tai Chi and more). I myself had fun hanging out with them actually :) more than with folks of my age.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 2:33 am

if one dreads an inevitability, then one will live all their life in fear.
it is inevitable that you will get old and die.
only humans know this. they are the only animals on earth who know they will die with certainty, and so that is one of the drawbacks of intelligence.
most animals just follow their noses in ignorant bliss until they drop and die.
but you know you are going to get old and unattractive (if that matters) and it is only a matter of time.
i am now getting old and i never thought life would go by in such a short amount of subjective time when i was young.

but now i am faced with the onset of senility (although not quite yet but not far away), and during that time, you either are happy in your being or lament your loss of youth.

it a fate we all go through.

AusWolf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2017, 1:38 pm

No, I don't.

But... I dread getting old without having achieved anything. With a crappy job, with no one to love, with no meaningful experiences whatsoever. I dread wasting my life.