Page 1 of 15 [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:10 pm

Toronto Star: Trump communications wound up in surveillance intercepts, says top Republican

Quote:
House intelligence committee chair Devin Nunes said he had seen dozens of intercepted communications between the Trump transition team and foreign targets who were under U.S. surveillance.

So what does Nunes do? Instead of giving the information to the committee of which he is chair, he goes running to Trump.

So what information does he have?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:31 pm

Always good to hear things straight from the horse's mouth.

In the words of Devin Nunes himself, some quotes:

" […] I briefed the president on the concerns that I had about incidental collection and how it relates to President-Elect Trump and his transition team; and the concerns that I have. As I said earlier, there will be more information hopefully by Friday. The NSA is cooperating very very well; and lastly, I’ll say that the reports that I was able to see did not have anything to do with Russia or the Russian investigation or any tie to the Trump team."

Question: Why is it appropriate for you to brief President Trump?

“Because what I saw had nothing to do with Russia or the Russian investigation, it has everything to do with possible surveillance activities and the President needs to know these intelligence reports are out there and I have a duty to tell him that.”

Question: Was it political surveillance?

“What I have read – bothers me – and I think it should bother the president himself and his team, – because some of it seems to be inappropriate. but like I said until we get everything to the committee it’s hard to really say until we see everything in its totality.”

Question: Was the President [Trump] correct with what he tweeted?

“It is possible.”

Devin Nunes Press Conference on “Inappropriate surveillance” on President-Elect Ttump

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:41 pm

It's not up to Nunes to decide that. He should have presented the evidence to the committee first. And certainly before he held a press conference.
Nunes showed his cards.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:04 pm

the_phoenix wrote:

“It is possible.”

HA!! That would be soooooo excellent, if it turns-out to be true, that President Trump was correct----of course, I'm not gonna get my hopes up, that people will ease-up, bashing him, though.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:12 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:

“It is possible.”

HA!! That would be soooooo excellent, if it turns-out to be true, that President Trump was correct----of course, I'm not gonna get my hopes up, that people will ease-up, bashing him, though.

Good plan.
He still has not recanted his untrue claim that Obama wiretapped him.
His attempts to redefine the English language will not prove fruitful as even if he was "unmasked" as a third party to the surveillance, he was therefore not the target of anyone's wiretap, Obama's or otherwise.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:56 pm

The Atlantic: What Devin Nunes's Bombshell Does and Doesn't Say

Quote:
The House intelligence committee chair, a Trump ally, muddied waters and gave comfort to the White House, but he provided no evidence of wrongdoing or support for Trump’s “wiretap” claims.

Quote:
Moreover, Nunes repeatedly said he did not have all the information he needed, raising the question of why he felt it was worthwhile to go public immediately. As Republicans including Nunes complain about unauthorized leaks of classified information to the press, he has come forward to publicize anonymously obtained intelligence community materials.

His choice to take it to the White House is even more perplexing, especially without having discussed the matter with Schiff. Trump accused Obama of having surveilled him despite offering no evidence for the claim. No evidence has appeared since. Pressed to explain why it can’t simply provide the proof, the White House—rather than admit, as appears indisputable, that it has no evidence—has claimed that because of “separation of powers,” Congress should investigate without executive-branch interference. By taking his information to Trump on Wednesday, Nunes has driven a bulldozer through that wall of separation.
In both press conferences, reporters expressed puzzlement at what Nunes believed was wrong, since he indicated that the collection was lawful and incidental.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 7:20 pm

androbot01 wrote:
He still has not recanted his untrue claim that Obama wiretapped him.

I still haven't seen / heard anything that convinces me, that President Obama DIDN'T do it----'course, I haven't seen any proof that he DID, either. I've only heard a bunch of Muckety-Mucks saying that a president couldn't authorize something like that, which absolutely blows my mind that they think people are just gonna be, like: "That's good enough, for ME!!" (meaning, it's proof-enough for them, that he didn't do it)----because, IMO, it's quite obvious that if something like that were to be done, it would SPECIFICALLY be done so that it could NOT be traced back to the president!!

I'm thinking that everyone in the chain-of-command, from the president to whomever would actually run the surveillance, is there to serve "at the pleasure of the President"; so, IMO, it would take a really special person to be willing / brave-enough to go against the president (even though he's not president, anymore - because of the current political climate, in this country), and turn-him-in----and then, where would be the proof; there's NO WAY it would be written-down, anywhere: "The president said to...".

It's possible that he didn't do it (though, I doubt it----and, not because he's a Democrat, or anything like that; but because, things like that happen all-the-time)----BUT, even if he didn't, I can't see my believing that he didn't know, about it; but, again, I'm sure it would be nearly impossible to prove.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 7:44 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Nunes showed his cards.

Good for him.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Nunes showed his cards.

Good for him.

He can't lead the investigation, then.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:27 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Always good to hear things straight from the horse's mouth.

In the words of Devin Nunes himself, some quotes:

" […] I briefed the president on the concerns that I had about incidental collection and how it relates to President-Elect Trump and his transition team; and the concerns that I have. As I said earlier, there will be more information hopefully by Friday. The NSA is cooperating very very well; and lastly, I’ll say that the reports that I was able to see did not have anything to do with Russia or the Russian investigation or any tie to the Trump team."

Question: Why is it appropriate for you to brief President Trump?

“Because what I saw had nothing to do with Russia or the Russian investigation, it has everything to do with possible surveillance activities and the President needs to know these intelligence reports are out there and I have a duty to tell him that.”

Question: Was it political surveillance?

“What I have read – bothers me – and I think it should bother the president himself and his team, – because some of it seems to be inappropriate. but like I said until we get everything to the committee it’s hard to really say until we see everything in its totality.”

“It is possible.”

Devin Nunes Press Conference on “Inappropriate surveillance” on President-Elect Ttump

This is hilarious. It looks like the beginnings of the major backfire many have been expecting to happen.

Findings: Trump and team in collusion with Russia? No. Trump being spied on? Yes. The whole thing a McCathyesque witch hunt? Yep. (McCathyesque is an actual word for this sort of thing).

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:35 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Nunes showed his cards.

Good for him.

He can't lead the investigation, then.

I'd be fine with Peter King leading the investigation, then. 8)

Pertinent discussion segment at begins at 03:35.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:51 pm

It's looking like the only thing Trump got wrong was using the antiquated term "wiretap". I'm betting Obama is going to go off into the woods now and we're not going to be hearing much from him in the future (unless maybe at an indictment). Maybe he'll end up putting his compound down the street from the White House up for sale now.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:52 pm

EzraS wrote:
It's looking like the only thing Trump got wrong was using the antiquated term "wiretap". I'm betting Obama is going to go off into the woods now and we're not going to be hearing much from him in the future (unless maybe at an indictment). Maybe he'll end up putting his compound down the street from the White House up for sale now.

I thought I heard that Obama went to Tahiti,
which is a bit surprising during March Madness season.
Then again, maybe it's not surprising ...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:57 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I thought I heard that Obama went to Tahiti,
which is a bit surprising during March Madness season.
Then again, maybe it's not surprising ...

LOL

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:15 am

EzraS wrote:
(McCathyesque is an actual word for this sort of thing).

Then my word of the day is neophyte.

Does it not occur to you that Trump's having been caught in surveillance looks really bad for him, or are you still blinded by shiny objects?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:20 am

androbot01 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
(McCathyesque is an actual word for this sort of thing).

Then my word of the day is neophyte.

Does it not occur to you that Trump's having been caught in surveillance looks really bad for him, or are you still blinded by shiny objects?

Likewise my next word of the day is presumptuous.

Gee ugh, Trump being investigated for colluding with Russia looks bad for him? For reals Auntie Androbot? Picture me all wide eyed in awe at your astonishing levels of perception. The whole idea is for it to look bad for him. Since when did McCathyesque witch hunts ever look good for anyone?