Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Autisticbebop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2017, 2:00 am

I have some things that I'm wondering if other autistic people experience:

-Do you enjoy making lists? (much like I'm doing right now)
-Do you find it difficult to sleep when you haven't completed your plans for that day?
-Do you scream really really loud when you have meltdowns?
-Do you have meltdowns over very small things that don't seem to be that important to others? ( for example I threw away my bread the other day because it wasn't in perfect triangles.)
-Does your skin ever hurt for no reason? like a very light sunburn all over?

sorry Idk how to end this. so uhhhhhhh bye

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:22 am

The list making is common on the spectrum and is true for me. I'm so slow at things I had to learn a long time ago to forgive myself and assume I would never get things done like I wish I could, though. I think people who are more schedule or routine-bound might have more trouble with this, or people with OCD behaviors. As far as meltdowns, different ones of us have them with different levels of frequency and to different degrees. Some people never melt down but "shut down" instead, and some people don't do either.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:30 am

I like lists. I never scream (more shutdowns than meltdowns). I can sometimes get upset about small things. I can't say my skin has ever hurt all over for no reason.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:54 am

I make them if they're useful but it's not something I just do for the fun of it.

No, I have no sleep issues.

No, I don't think I could scream even if I wanted to, and I can't think of why I'd want to.

No. I'm the opposite, I just can't stand wasting food, I eat out of date food all the time. I would never do something like that.

Not that I notice, no.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:00 am

I sometimes make them

I find it hard to sleep every night because my brain is always on the go and I never want to stop what I am doing to go to bed

No I do not scream when I have meltdowns but I feel that way sometimes

I can have meltdowns when I am overwhelmed or stressed out and most people don't find what I am stressed about a big deal

No but my skin starts itching for no reason or my clothes all of a sudden feel uncomfortable on me like they are poking at my skin

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:51 am

experience the list thing and sleep thing. not so much the others.

i MUST get everything i have planned for the day, done, and i will go to great lengths to make sure that is achieved. in that pursuit, i have stayed up so late that i was still attempting to doze off when my father woke up and started his next day.

that bugged me very, very much. maybe i'm not alone.

iliketrees wrote:
No. I'm the opposite, I just can't stand wasting food, I eat out of date food all the time. I would never do something like that.

lol, are you ashens? :mrgreen:

but no, i empathize there. in fact, with the food too! that might be an explanation...as in, it is a pity the food does not realize it's life purpose (to be eaten) and i must help it fulfill its destiny.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 10:56 am

Nothing on your list fits me exactly, but I have similar issues to most of it.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 11:48 am

I enjoy making lists.
I easily sleep unless i'm in a panicky period. (yay)
I do sometimes scream during meltdowns.
I had meltdowns as a kid over small things like that. Now my meltdowns are more sensory related.
My skin occasionally hurts for no reason at all just as you described.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2017, 12:01 pm

I do end up screaming often.

I make lists but I don't find it to be different. I thought everyone did, to a point.

My son is almost 7 and he will get upset if his food isn't just so, like you described, and he will refuse to eat it. This is very frustrating to a parent because it takes time and money to make that food. However, I was the same way as a child, so I understand. Sometimes I still do these things.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:36 pm

Quote:

Sometimes, but not really.

Quote:
-Do you find it difficult to sleep when you haven't completed your plans for that day?

Not really, but I do procrastinate a lot so most nights I go to sleep knowing I haven't done everything I should have done that day.

-
Quote:
Do you scream really really loud when you have meltdowns?

Well, I shout.

Quote:
-Do you have meltdowns over very small things that don't seem to be that important to others? ( for example I threw away my bread the other day because it wasn't in perfect triangles.)

Hmm, I don't go to that extent, but I do get stressed over things others might not. Or say if something is averagely 40% stressful for most people, for me the same thing is 85% stressful.
Quote:
-Does your skin ever hurt for no reason
like a very light sunburn all over??

No. Only if I have a virus.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:05 pm

I kind of cry/scream during meltdowns. I just feel like I hurt so much inside that it can only be expressed in a scream. It's times when I can't understand how I feel, but I feel bad, so I have to express it as best I can, so I scream whilst I'm crying. It seems the most expressive, real way to convey how I'm feeling.

I find that doing this in the car is best because I don't bother the neighbours that way.

The medication I'm on seems to have eased that off a bit. I haven't had any meltdowns since I started taking it. It's like my trigger level isn't so low anymore.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2017, 10:18 am

I do like making lists. I tend to shut down and withdraw, rather than meltdown. But if I do meltdown, which is rarely, I scream, cry and punch objects around me. My tactile sensory processing usually doesn't cause me issues, but I am sensitive to tactile stimulation. There are certain textures I don't like (dry and abrasive or sticky). I'm more or less sensitive to certain sounds or visual stimuli. I'm weirded out by the way certain digits or letters appear in a sequence.

+1 to meltdowns in the car. My most recent meltdown was in my car. I punched the top liner and steering wheel.

Melting down around other people sucks. If someone says something a certain way, I can easily misinterpret it; if I feel like I'm being mocked I shut down. In the past, this was just interpreted as me being "oversensitive."

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:29 am

Autisticbebop wrote:
I have some things that I'm wondering if other autistic people experience:

sorry Idk how to end this. so uhhhhhhh bye

1. Yes. Love lists! :)
2. Depends on how important the plans are.
3. Have had more than one bad experience with roller coasters.
4. Used to be fussier about this when I was younger. (and someone else was paying for the bread) :wink:
5. To my mind, there's gotta be a reason, either physical or psychological.

Joseph.storer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2017, 10:42 am

I'm new to this sight. I do like lists because I can then get those things out of my head. I really have problems shutting my brain down at the end of the day. I use tones to drive me to mindfulness.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Mar 2017, 11:36 am

1. I like the productive feeling that comes with making a list but it's not something I do every day.
2. No, only if there's a pressing deadline which I'd say is 'normal'. I can have issues getting to sleep though.
3. I don't think I have meltdowns and anything that could be a meltdown is rare.
4. ^
5. No. That could be a skin condition? sunburn normally results in your skin feeling tight, tender, and often dry?
If I have a virus then I can get very sensitive skin (apparently it's a thing), and I seem to have some tactile sensitivity where certain touch is uncomfortable and clothes tags can be irritating.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Autisticbebop wrote:
Yes

Autisticbebop wrote:
Most of the time, I find it difficult to sleep regardless of the circumstance.

Autisticbebop wrote:
No, I just don't breathe.

Autisticbebop wrote:
Yes

Autisticbebop wrote:
No, but my skin often itches for no reason.