SCOTUS votes 8-0 to overturn Gorsuch Autistic student ruling

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:54 am

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-03-22/us-high-court-hands-disabled-students-win-on-education-standards

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected legal reasoning used by President Donald Trump's high court nominee Neil Gorsuch in his role as an appellate judge, ruling in favor of an autistic student who said he was denied an adequate education.

The 8-0 ruling, authored by conservative Chief Justice John Roberts, was issued at the same time Gorsuch was facing questions during his Senate confirmation hearing about a 2008 case in which he ruled against an autistic child who sought a public education more tailored to his needs.

The Supreme Court ruled that public schools must offer disabled students a special educational program sufficiently ambitious to ensure they make progress.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:01 am

what is the benefit in having our highest court politically colored....

Quote:
But Roberts wrote that under the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act special education must be "reasonably calculated to enable a child to make progress appropriate in light of the child's circumstances."

this is really, really flexible language.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:40 pm

Okay, one more reason to keep this dick off the Supreme court.