Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:23 am

I am trying to discern if anyone on WP has ever had an MRI scan. And if so, were you referred by your GP or did you pay for a private scan?

My doctor has rejected my requests in the past, but my executive functioning difficulties are having a profound effect on my life.

Ever since sustaining a head injury as a child, I have been extremely forgetful, confused, absent-minded and I can't solve even the simplest of problems. I believe there is severe damage to my frontal lobe, which has been affecting my capacity to learn since the age of four. Prior to the injury I was considered to be a quiet yet bright child.

I am desperate to see if my frontal lobe is damaged, but private scans cost between £500-£1000.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:36 am

I've had a few MRIs, one for seeming decline in executive function, but mind you, this was in the US.

The scan showed a normal brain as far as the doctors were concerned.

When I had neuropsych testing, however, it showed significant impairments, and the doctors can identify which parts of the brain are involved with each part of the testing. If that is available to you, it is a good way to know how each part of the brain is functioning without the scan.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:01 am

Redxk wrote:
I've had a few MRIs, one for seeming decline in executive function, but mind you, this was in the US.

The scan showed a normal brain as far as the doctors were concerned.

When I had neuropsych testing, however, it showed significant impairments, and the doctors can identify which parts of the brain are involved with each part of the testing. If that is available to you, it is a good way to know how each part of the brain is functioning without the scan.

Thank you.

It's my understanding that to undergo neuropsychology testing I would first need to pay quite a sum of money to see a neurologist.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:16 am

Yeah my MRI's were ordered by my neurologist. I'd say to keep trying doctors until you find one who will give you what you need.

I know someone who wanted a particular procedure and kept getting shot down. But finally he found a doctor who was like, yeah sure I'll do it no problem. And it worked out great, even if it took a while and was a hassle getting there. Best of luck to you.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:37 am

The MRI scans I've had were referred by A&E after an accident. My GF needed a scan but the GP's were not helpful so we had a private consultation for approx £150 , the consultant suggested scans and when we told him we couldn't afford it he put her on the NHS waiting list for a scan. MRI Scans have come down in price over the years and I think the national average is around £300.

If your suspicions are correct about your frontal lobe would you get different treatment for your problems?

Didn't you say you are working for the NHS ? Is there anyone at work who can give you the exact information you need or even pull some strings as you are staff?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 1:53 am

I finally underwent an MRI scan earlier this month. Even though an arachnoid cyst was found, the radiologist concluded that my results were normal. I don't know whether I should be relieved or angry as I am still to identify the cause of my brain fog and poor learning capacity. Whilst it may be an oversimplification, I could ascribe my problems to depression, anxiety and autistic 'burnout'. But a period of over four years is a disconcertingly long time to feel this slow and disconnected.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 3:19 am

JakeASD wrote:
I don't know whether I should be relieved or angry as I am still to identify the cause of my brain fog and poor learning capacity. Whilst it may be an oversimplification, I could ascribe my problems to depression, anxiety and autistic 'burnout'. But a period of over four years is a disconcertingly long time to feel this slow and disconnected.

I think you should be relieved and just see it as crossing something off your list towards finding your Dx. :)

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:35 am

JakeASD wrote:
I finally underwent an MRI scan earlier this month. Even though an arachnoid cyst was found, the radiologist concluded that my results were normal. I don't know whether I should be relieved or angry as I am still to identify the cause of my brain fog and poor learning capacity. Whilst it may be an oversimplification, I could ascribe my problems to depression, anxiety and autistic 'burnout'. But a period of over four years is a disconcertingly long time to feel this slow and disconnected.

I think you're going to have to do your own research. I would ask for copies of the MRI scan and maybe look up different forums (for instance, Reddit) on brain damage and maybe even ask surgeons. Maybe show them the images of your brain scan if you feel comfortable.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:12 am

I too had a somewhat severe head injury as a kid/teen, but unsure whether it made a difference in intellect or mental state, only thing I had was an x-ray and several stitches.

Also been host to things like severe headaches, anxiety and depression, aswell as showing bipolar tendencies / split personality (one day im super optimistic, few or most other days are filled with some sort of background depression/denial about my health and wellbeing). None have been severe enough like suicidal or self-harm to warrant a doctor's intervention so my life would have to be hanging on by a thread to give reason to get a MRI scan, if i'm lucky even that.

I would conclude that if I were to get a brain scan, it would look more consistent with someone whos got early onset alzheimers because my short term memory is insanely bad.