Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:29 am

I'm having anxiety about stuff that I always do. I can't always help it. People just joke about it and shrug it off. I'm worried about the attacks in London yesterday and what if something came here to the US. Another one will be all the recent news on North Korea and Kim Jun Un boasting that the US will be "blown to ashes". I'm 25 and I don't want to die. It gives me really bad anxiety the thought of dying without a life, no partner, etc. People in the 1980s were lucky, they came close to mutually assured destruction, but they didn't.
I don't think the US will be so lucky anymore.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2017, 1:03 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I'm having anxiety about stuff that I always do. I can't always help it. People just joke about it and shrug it off. I'm worried about the attacks in London yesterday and what if something came here to the US. Another one will be all the recent news on North Korea and Kim Jun Un boasting that the US will be "blown to ashes". I'm 25 and I don't want to die. It gives me really bad anxiety the thought of dying without a life, no partner, etc. People in the 1980s were lucky, they came close to mutually assured destruction, but they didn't.

Is fear of dying always the reason you have anxienty or are there also other reasons like social anxiety and insecurity?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:53 pm

I have a small degree of social anxiety and insecurity. Even though I'm an adult now, I have a lack of independence and I don't go out too much besides occasional family functions or weekly Asperger's social group.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:33 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I have a small degree of social anxiety and insecurity. Even though I'm an adult now, I have a lack of independence and I don't go out too much besides occasional family functions or weekly Asperger's social group.

Well, if you want to meet a girl, it sounds like you're going to have to expand your horizons.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:05 pm

You gotta find a way to stop dwelling on death....'don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyways' that's from a song my brother likes. It's true no one does get out alive but if you're worrying about it all the time then it'll just make you miserable. Maybe something like that will happen here...but why let that stop you living now? It's better to live a shorter more fulfilling life, than to spend a long life living in constant fear.

Also you can't enjoy the more fulfilling moments if you're full of dread during all of them.

I'd say watch some Game of Thrones or the show Vikings, something with plenty of death but also complex story lines and characters to put it in perspective how it can be seen. dealt with and things characters are willing to risk their lives for. But it might not be helpful if it would just cause you to get anxious about your death.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:21 pm

I lived in the UK in the 80s and we had terrorists back then too. We survived, you can too.

Quote:
1983 17 December: Harrods was bombed by the IRA. Six were killed (including three police officers) and 90 wounded during Christmas shopping at the West London department store. (See Harrods bombing)
1984 12 October: Brighton hotel bombing, 5 killed and several injured in an attempt by the IRA to kill Margaret Thatcher.
1988 21 December: Pan Am Flight 103 (Lockerbie) blown up by a bomb in a suitcase while in flight over Scotland after taking off from Heathrow. 270 were killed.
1989 3 August: A man using the alias Mustafa Mahmoud Mazeh accidentally blew himself up along with two floors of a central London hotel while preparing a bomb intended to kill Salman Rushdie.[18]
1989 22 September: Deal barracks bombing: Eleven Royal Marines bandsmen killed and 22 injured when base in Deal, Kent, was bombed by the IRA.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 9:55 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

The thing is with a country as big as the US, it's pretty hard for a single lone wolf to do much in the way of shock value. People in places like the UK where the whole country is about 450 miles from north to south don't realize how huge the US really is. Besides, we've already had a number of lone wolf attacks in the US. As for Li'l Kim, China and/or his own generals will get rid of him if they think he'll do something extremely stupid. Part of the reason he's so panicky is that in Korea, as in the rest of eastern Asia, old people are revered for their wisdom, and leaders have usually been old people or seasoned warriors such as Kim Il Sung. Li'l Kim is about 35 and his only real talent is shoving bootleg American steaks down his bottomless pie hole. Nobody likes him, so he's been killing off his own military in order to head off a coup. Stalin tried that, and nearly got overrun by the Nazis, since he'd killed off all his military talent. The only reason Stalin survived is because he basically drafted every single person in the country and dumped them on the front lines, basically a human wave attack. The North Koreans are too emaciated to fight, all we'd have to do is airdrop Big Macs on them and they'd immediately surrender.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 8:16 am

I know. I'm just so triggered by tensions in the world today. Also the Christians like to talk about the end of the world. It's a paradox for them I guess, but the thought of Jesus taking me to Heaven without me getting the chance to "live life" hurts. I don't mean to offend any Christians here, I want to be honest though.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2017, 8:53 am

K_Kelly wrote:
I know. I'm just so triggered by tensions in the world today. Also the Christians like to talk about the end of the world. It's a paradox for them I guess, but the thought of Jesus taking me to Heaven without me getting the chance to "live life" hurts. I don't mean to offend any Christians here, I want to be honest though.

Well the new Kingdom will be the best thing that ever happened to you so it's worth waiting for. What do you mean by 'living life'? Is it living a sinful life? Because sin is only fun for a short moment after that you will become miserable. So I don't think that is what you should wish for, unless ofcourse you meant something else.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 3:45 pm

@Yo El: Do you believe that earthly male-female relationships are only exclusive to this Earth too? I lost my faith for a reason. The almost "magical" goodness of his kingdom doesn't phase me a bit.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 9:42 pm

I'm still afraid of N. Korea and their missile firings. I hope if we intervene it won't end in us being blasted. What do you think?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 9:50 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I'm still afraid of N. Korea and their missile firings. I hope if we intervene it won't end in us being blasted. What do you think?

When people stop fearing God, they start fearing each other.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 2:36 pm

I pray this all ends well. Words don't even describe the terror I'm feeling inside my head today. I am usually hiding it pretty well, but I can't shake it. Today on another forum I found an article link titled "Can North Korea fire a nuclear missile at US? Probably" and it was one of those "expert analysis" things.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 4:39 pm

Two things:

Point one: get medication. Talk therapy wont work on you. And us here on WP talking to you will do nothing. you're basically incurable via listening to or reading words. This exaggerated anxiety of yours has to be the result of some kind of chemical imbalance. Talk to a shrink, and you will probably get some kind of head pill.Something like valium. Sorry to be so blunt. But if your "head is filled with terror" about normal daily crap in the news then medication is what you need.

The news wont get any better. If Kim Un, and ISIS went away today, something else would replace them. If you cant handle the news now you will never be able to handle it.

The other thing.

All of the terrorist attacks in the US in 2016 put together claimed...how many? Maybe a hundred lives.

In that same year 30 thousand Americans died on the highways.

you're 300 times more likely to be killed by a drunk driver, or by a texting driver, than by a Jihadi terrorist.

And if terrorism magically vanished this minute...what then? Thirty thousand Americans will still being dying at the hands texters and drinkers every year.Our normal peacetime lifestyle of driving is 300 times more likely to kill you than terrorism, and banishing terrorism would do virtually nothing to insure you a long life if cars were still allowed on the road. But do you lie awake at night worrying about that greater likelyhood of you dying in a boring mundane car accident? Apparently not!

In the 1990's prior to terrorism life was statistically just as dangerous as it is now, and it will continue to be just as dangerous in the near future if terrorism disappeared because statistically terrorism adds little to the danger.

If you're waste your whole life away worrying at least worry about stuff thats likely to actually kill you for once (like smoking, not buckling your seat belt, and lack of excercise) than about exotic stuff thats statistically unlikely to get you.