Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 11:32 am

My dad said to me last week "your a horrible little man"

Is he referring to my height by that comment? I am 5ft7.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:48 pm

Sounds like you have a less than ideal relationship with your dad.

The "little" part sounds like a physical description. He thinks that you're horrible in character, and that you just happened to be male, adult, and short. Though five foot seven (about my hieght) isnt THAT short (maybe the men in your family, including your dad, are all tall dudes so to them you seem "little").

Dont mean to pry, but why does he think that you're "horrible"?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:21 pm

What your dad said has nothing to do with your height.

I don't mean to pry, but how insecure is your dad? If he is, then he projected his own insecurities and personal flaws onto you. The way your dad insulted you is not your fault at all.

The concept in regards to your dad insulting you is called "psychological projection."

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:11 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

The "little" part sounds like a physical description. He thinks that you're horrible in character, and that you just happened to be male, adult, and short. Though five foot seven (about my hieght) isnt THAT short (maybe the men in your family, including your dad, are all tall dudes so to them you seem "little").

About half the men in my family are short and the other half average-tall

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:06 pm

Jamesy wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

About half the men in my family are short and the other half average-tall

I dunno. Maybe he meant "petty" in character.

But whatever he meant by it, what he meant by it is obviously the least of your problems with your dad.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 11:09 am

Actually, there is not enough information with just that phrase alone to take anything out of it. There is a wild array of meanings this could take on (and no, not all of them are negative) depending on the situation that triggered the comment in the first place. For example, I could be constantly teasing someone playfully, and they could playfully tease back saying "You're a horrible little man." In this manner, the "horrible" means that I'm terrible for teasing (and would be such if said person was a stranger), BUT because I know the person and they know I'm only joking (as long as I don't go too far), it more along the lines means "I should be annoyed, but because I know you I'm not." The "little" in this context is then a reference to maturity level, as excessive joking can be seen as a sign of immaturity, a trait of someone younger, hence the word.

But that's just an example, and unless we have the full story, anything we say it means is pure speculation.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 11:17 am

That may refer to doing or saying things that are socially inappropriate. The Sheldon character on Big Bang Theory often says things that are socially inappropriate. What is appropriate to say is a very difficult subject to learn. I'd say that normal people spend a large amount of time learning about proper social conduct.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 2:52 pm

More likely he is referring to flaws in your character and it has nothing to do with your height.
The "little" thrown in there is an attempt to make you feel small.
He wants you to feel remorse for your actions, which may have made him feel ashamed of you.