Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 12:02 pm

This is a little embarrassing but I have a problem with water, particularly one that comes from the shower head. I don't like the feel of it on my skin at all and it just feels so wrong when my body is in contact with water. Also the steam in the bathroom makes me dizzy and nauseated. Once I even fainted thanks to it. So I don't have a shower routine at all... There have been times I didn't wash myself up to 3 weeks though generally I force myself to take it once a week.
It's been like this ever since. Is there anybody else who has this particular problem?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:45 pm

Is it better if you take a bath?

I, myself, if I didn't shower for a week, would stink to high heaven, have stingy eyes, and just wouldn't feel good.

I'm sorry you're going through these issues.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2017, 3:30 pm

I take a bath every 3 days. I know I should probably do so every day, but I don't feel it's necessary. I'm afraid that if I wash my hair every day that it will dry out. I put on deodorant and perfume every day so I won't stink. That's one trait of Asperger's is lack of a dirty feeling, so there you go.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:21 pm

idonthaveanickname wrote:
That's one trait of Asperger's is lack of a dirty feeling, so there you go.

I haven't heard of that trait. Could you explain it to me.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is it better if you take a bath?

I, myself, if I didn't shower for a week, would stink to high heaven, have stingy eyes, and just wouldn't feel good.

I'm sorry you're going through these issues.

Still water doesn't disturb me if I'm fully under it but the cleaning qualities of a bath is a lot poorer than a shower and I don't like the feeling of the material of which my bathtub is made. It's something between metal and plastic I have no idea what it is and it's pretty old with a rough and scratched feeling to it. I just can't sit in it and feel comfortable I want to immediately stand up.

I have a very dry skin so I don't easily look dirty. Also I almost never sweat. So after I shower I feel fresh up to at least 5 days. But even when I'm disturbed by my dirtiness, I can't choose which is more disturbing, taking a shower or feeling gross...

idonthaveanickname wrote:
I take a bath every 3 days. I know I should probably do so every day, but I don't feel it's necessary. I'm afraid that if I wash my hair every day that it will dry out. I put on deodorant and perfume every day so I won't stink. That's one trait of Asperger's is lack of a dirty feeling, so there you go.

I think taking a shower every 3 days is very standard. I wish I could do that.
I have another problem that i'm very VERY sensitive to smell... I can never wear regular perfumes or deodorants and I get pissed if somebody near me does. I found a cream deodorant without smell though so I use it every time I get out of shower (it's the recommended usage). But as I said I don't really stink easily as I don't sweat.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

Is it possible you could look into different shower heads and replace the one you have with a more tolerable one? Also you could try putting the water at a lower temperature for less steam. Or turn the bathroom fan on and/or leave the door cracked or window if it has one as that would dissipate some of the steam.

Or I don't know if this is a thing or how much it would be, but I wonder if they have any sort pad you could put in the bottom of the tub to make it more comfortable or some sort of cover for the whole inside of the tub...I just don't know what exists as far as that, but perhaps worth looking into.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:56 pm

I probably don't shower enough, I can't even say I do it a specific amount of times a week. Really it tends to be if I feel dirty or if someone like my boyfriend mentions I haven't had one in like a week. I take more in the summer to cool off. But yeah I don't even dislike showers really, and sometimes linger for a bit after I'm done washing. I guess its just something I have a hard time getting around to.

Also I have dreads, so I don't have to wash my hair all that often.... I can just put them in a shower cap for most showers.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:12 pm

I do like to shower but I maybe have this thing of not perceiving that I'm dirty. Where I live people take shower every day, sometimes more than one per day... (they also love to complain about foreigners personal hygiene) I don't understand it, and I can skip a day or two and still think I'm clear and I don't notice any weird smell (I always thought that I was just naturally very clean :D but maybe I just have a twisted perception)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:37 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I do like to shower but I maybe have this thing of not perceiving that I'm dirty. Where I live people take shower every day, sometimes more than one per day... (they also love to complain about foreigners personal hygiene) I don't understand it, and I can skip a day or two and still think I'm clear and I don't notice any weird smell (I always thought that I was just naturally very clean :D but maybe I just have a twisted perception)

Its mostly just my arm-pits that get smelly and my face gets a bit greasy, but I do have face wipes that I use in the morning and if I haven't showered and likely wont I use the face wipe on my arm-pits as well, I figure if its good enough for my face its good enough for my arm-pits also beats a wet paper towel lol.

and I've found some good deodorant I like as well.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Is it possible you could look into different shower heads and replace the one you have with a more tolerable one? Also you could try putting the water at a lower temperature for less steam. Or turn the bathroom fan on and/or leave the door cracked or window if it has one as that would dissipate some of the steam.

Or I don't know if this is a thing or how much it would be, but I wonder if they have any sort pad you could put in the bottom of the tub to make it more comfortable or some sort of cover for the whole inside of the tub...I just don't know what exists as far as that, but perhaps worth looking into.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've changed my shower head recently and this one is a lot better than the last one which made it a tiny bit easier. I do shower at a low temperature but I'm living in a crappy apartment (panelák) and the bathroom is so tiny, there is hardly any place left from the bathtub. There is also no window as the other side of the bathroom is kitchen and the rooms have just a fake wall holding them together -_- There is nearly no escape from the steam.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also I have dreads, so I don't have to wash my hair all that often.... I can just put them in a shower cap for most showers.

Always wanted to get them myself.

ltcvnzl wrote:

I shall never visit where you live!
I don't think you have a twisted perception I think your place does :O

Sweetleaf wrote:
Its mostly just my arm-pits that get smelly and my face gets a bit greasy, but I do have face wipes that I use in the morning and if I haven't showered and likely wont I use the face wipe on my arm-pits as well, I figure if its good enough for my face its good enough for my arm-pits also beats a wet paper towel lol.

I use baby wipe sometimes too for my arm pits, generally if it's been more than a week :oops: My face never gets greasy I have too dry skin for it and also I wash my face every morning with a moisturizing gel.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:25 pm

I was bothered by the water from the shower until I installed a shower-head-water-filter that cleanses out the impurities from the water such as both the impurity of chlorine and the impurity of fluoride.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:43 pm

I dislike taking a shower. It's the whole routine involved. I'd much rather just stay dry and in my clothes. I pretty much have to be forced into taking them.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:10 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
I was bothered by the water from the shower until I installed a shower-head-water-filter that cleanses out the impurities from the water such as both the impurity of chlorine and the impurity of fluoride.

That is kinda interesting, I have never thought about this.

EzraS wrote:
I dislike taking a shower. It's the whole routine involved. I'd much rather just stay dry and in my clothes. I pretty much have to be forced into taking them.

I agree with each of your words.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 9:13 pm

komamanga wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. I've changed my shower head recently and this one is a lot better than the last one which made it a tiny bit easier. I do shower at a low temperature but I'm living in a crappy apartment (panelák) and the bathroom is so tiny, there is hardly any place left from the bathtub. There is also no window as the other side of the bathroom is kitchen and the rooms have just a fake wall holding them together -_- There is nearly no escape from the steam.

Sweetleaf wrote:

Always wanted to get them myself.

Sweetleaf wrote:

I use baby wipe sometimes too for my arm pits, generally if it's been more than a week :oops: My face never gets greasy I have too dry skin for it and also I wash my face every morning with a moisturizing gel.

Yeah small bathrooms suck, my current bathroom is pretty big and I will likely miss it when the lease is up and me and my boyfriend get an apartment. Right now we live with 4 other room-mates in a 2 bedroom duplex, one other couple in the other bedroom, a person in a room that was meant as a dining room and my brother in the garage. But yeah me and my boyfriend are in the master bedroom with a large bathroom.

If I had your sort of bathroom I'd just leave the door wide open and just make sure my apartment door is closed and maybe locked.

As for dreads I waited for a bit till I could get my brother to do it...he has dreads to and somehow did his himself, I don't see how he could have gotten the ones in the back but whatever. I've had some difficulty like wondering if they are forming right. And a couple of days ago I tore apart what seemed to be two dreads forming into one ridiculously large one and was all worried I had horrible screwed up cause it kind of made my scalp hurt ...but then looked on a site that says that is actually the best way as you lose less hair than if you try cutting them apart but is more painful than cutting them. Still not recommended as it still thins them out a lot, but eventually the hair grows back and it gets thicker again.

I have thought of getting those for that lol, but I already always have face wipes so I just use those, I get pimples if I don't wash my face but I hate having to tie my hair back and slather my face with stuff and have to rinse it all off, so face wipes are always a necessity....I also don't wear make up because one, I don't really like it and think its a hassle plus it would likely only contribute to getting pimples. Sometimes I put a little eyeliner on but that's it.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:04 am

I have a problem too with taking showers, my legs get wobbly & I feel like I'm going fall, I did almost fall a few times.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:04 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah small bathrooms suck, my current bathroom is pretty big and I will likely miss it when the lease is up and me and my boyfriend get an apartment. Right now we live with 4 other room-mates in a 2 bedroom duplex, one other couple in the other bedroom, a person in a room that was meant as a dining room and my brother in the garage. But yeah me and my boyfriend are in the master bedroom with a large bathroom.

If I had your sort of bathroom I'd just leave the door wide open and just make sure my apartment door is closed and maybe locked.

As for dreads I waited for a bit till I could get my brother to do it...he has dreads to and somehow did his himself, I don't see how he could have gotten the ones in the back but whatever. I've had some difficulty like wondering if they are forming right. And a couple of days ago I tore apart what seemed to be two dreads forming into one ridiculously large one and was all worried I had horrible screwed up cause it kind of made my scalp hurt ...but then looked on a site that says that is actually the best way as you lose less hair than if you try cutting them apart but is more painful than cutting them. Still not recommended as it still thins them out a lot, but eventually the hair grows back and it gets thicker again.

I have thought of getting those for that lol, but I already always have face wipes so I just use those, I get pimples if I don't wash my face but I hate having to tie my hair back and slather my face with stuff and have to rinse it all off, so face wipes are always a necessity....I also don't wear make up because one, I don't really like it and think its a hassle plus it would likely only contribute to getting pimples. Sometimes I put a little eyeliner on but that's it.

Having your place will probably have its own advantages. Living with many people means a lot of suffering to me. I wish you both well. I'm also living with my boyfriend in one of those apartments called panelák built during the communist era. They are really not meant for living only for surviving. But my boyfriend has only got a low level disability wage and I'm dependent on my parents so there's no other choice.

I don't wanna sound like a total complainer but I have issues with cold too. My bf calls me nabalená which mean well-packed :D I tried leaving the door open a little bit, at first it was better but after just a few minutes beagle came and opened the door to its widest and I was freezing.

Wow, that's cool your brother can do such a thing. Your dreads looked amazing in the photo you shared in the photo thread. It reminded me that I knew somebody whose dreads started to fall off. The idea was kinda dreadful :P Anyway I was never able to grow my hair long enough to get them also people around me are kinda hateful about it too :(

I'm from a country of built-in bidets so I need my baby wipes in the toilet to clean my bum in a European country :D It must be a hassle to wash your face with dreads. I never wear wake up either. Especially around my eyes I'm very sensitive and it makes my skin literally crumble and it's painful. I have a skin color of a ghost so sometimes if I look too scary or sick I will wear a lipstick and wipe it off few times until I have barely any color left and I feel comfortable with the texture. Luckily I don't get any pimples or acne since I'm 16. I had a skin condition before that age where I had a lot of acne from a very young age. I used some f*cked up medication for it as a teenager and since then I have a really dry and acne free skin.

Kitty4670 wrote:
I have a problem too with taking showers, my legs get wobbly & I feel like I'm going fall, I did almost fall a few times.

I have this too...