Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:13 pm

pezar wrote:
Pittsburgh? The city that's so bad off that a movie set in a post-apocalyptic world that occurs after a meteor smashes into the planet was almost entirely filmed there? (The Road, the adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's novel.) THAT Pittsburgh? Uh, whatever. I personally think that ANYWHERE in the Rust Belt is a bad choice. The places that are actually worth living in have sky high cost of living and very low wages. Even some of, say, the lesser known places in the Western US like Medford or Redding have pretty much a zero apartment vacancy rate coupled with a mostly minimum wage job market. And as a bonus there's all the pill and meth addicts. Redding has as an additional bonus summer heat that rivals Phoenix-seriously, 118 degrees F for days on end happens quite a bit.

Yeah sure, filming part of The Road there has sowed the soil with salt and doomed the city for life.
:roll: :roll:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Pittsburgh is a nice, decent-sized city with distinct neighborhoods and nice architecture. The view from PNC Park, where the Pirates play, is really nice.

It has outgrown its "Steel City" persona. And it has Carnegie-Mellon, a great institute of learning.

The Steel City persona will live on for a long time even though the city has become better known for robotics, biomedical science, and education. The air is damn sure cleaner without all the steel mills. I remember hearing old folks tell of how sometimes at peak production the air would be like a heavy fog and very hard on the lungs.

Pittsburgh will continue to improve and do just fine.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:29 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I hate the rust belt. Unfortunately, I'm dead set on wanting Erie to have a future. I just can't accept the fact that it will die someday. At least Pittsburgh is still a top 100 US city and in the top 100 nielsen broadcast markets. Hey, even the Scranton-Wilkes Barre broadcast market is bigger than Erie's.

The countryside of the rust belt is still quite picturesque, though...

Anne_Fetamine
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2017, 10:44 pm

I feel ya, OP. Just moved "back home" to a rural craphole--population 1,000ish. It's the most backward place imaginable. I've got nothing in common with the people here, most of whom are meth addicts or Jesus freaks (or both). No friends, no place to hang out or enjoy a movie. Not even a fast food joint. :roll:

I guess the only solution is to plan to move when you can. I've lived in other states and loved it...just fell on some hard times recently. Living somewhere you like really does make life more livable.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:20 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/opini ... istof.html

^ Read this and be glad you're not living there.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:42 pm

One thing I actually am really greatful for is that we are probably one of the few areas for our size to have a high-functioning Autism/Asperger's support organization. In fact, we also have a statewide program for autism support. I think it's one of the only states.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:54 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
These are the days where I really hate my hometown and current city where I live by. It's Erie, PA. In 2010 the county's population was 281,000, in 2016 today it estimated 276,000. I feel embarrassed to say I was born in an area with such massive population exodus. This has been going on in the proper city for decades, too. And Trump says he wants to try to bring these jobs back, but haters are gonna hate and at every turn, they refuse to let off. I wish I was alive in Erie during it's peak in the 1950s or even through the 1980s. I wish Erie would undergo a great economic and population miracle, soon. I hate what my city has become:

1) Lower 110 television market with all local television anchors and reporters being interns

2) High crime and poverty rate

3) Lack of jobs or opportunities for young people

We were within the top 100 US cities until 1970, but now we are out of the top 200 or 210 or whatever. I don't want to move though, how can I deal with my community being such a bad area? I want the OLD days of Erie back. I don't want to miss a miracle for the world. Everyone, even people who are on the same page as me politically, told me that I should just accept what's happening.

Gee, maybe I do wish Erie would just just turn into a real ghost town already.

The city I grew up in went the opposite way. It had a huge population boom of about 12,000 people, and that drove up housing prices and forced a lot of people who grew up there out. So population growth isn't always a good thing for everyone.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Mar 2017, 7:24 am

I am a rustbelter myself and I was forced to 'migrate', it's a chip that I will carry on my shoulder for a long time

This is why it always infuriated me the people who would quip that 'America has always been great' or that 'Make America Great Again' is a inherently racist slogan because they didn't grow up somewhere where it was better 10 years before and 10 years before that and 10 years before that and so on & so on. My dad grew up not having a sliver of hope at getting job like his father had and I didn't even have a sliver of hope at his, this part of the country has been left to rot and I have nothing but contempt for coastal elitists who have stolen our wealth.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 3:09 pm

Sorry I want to bump this thread. But I'm going to reiterate. My location (I live near Erie, PA) kind of sucks today. We will probably be another ghost town in a few years. It's actually the demographic decline that I think sucks more than the jobs part, Erie was a top 100 US census city until 1970. True story. People especially in my group, are leaving the area and never come back. And there are even other areas of similar size that are growing faster than us.

Erie is forever doomed. I inherited a dump that I can say that I was born and raised in. We can either change course or die, but there will always be other areas in the US growing faster than us either way.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 3:28 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
how can I deal with my community being such a bad area?
Are some potential ideas in here, and how to contact the relevant organizations or individuals.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2017, 7:37 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/opinion/15kristof.html

^ Read this and be glad you're not living there.

This article presents an interesting and unusual perspective on this issue. Good reading.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 9:58 pm

You still ought to look at Pittsburgh.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 11:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
You still ought to look at Pittsburgh.

Nice video. I can't handle living in a city but Pittsburgh is good for 2 things I'm interested in, trolleys and towboats :)
For example http://www.railpictures.net/photo/553958/
There once was a towboat named City of Pittsburgh http://www.towboatgallery.com/City_of_Pittsburgh.php
I wonder if Pittsburgh is an area where you can hear a bobcat screaming like a few minutes ago here in our midwestern farm burg.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:21 am

Today's creativity project - using thread title "I hate my city"
Write a song to tune of Starship's "We built this city"
For example,
I hate my city
I hate my city I want to go
I hate my city

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:35 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Today's creativity project - using thread title "I hate my city"
Write a song to tune of Starship's "We built this city"
For example,
I hate my city
I hate my city

I love it!! :thumright:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 3:07 am

I hate the RTD in my city sometimes...that is the bus and light-rail train organization.

but yeah today I had to get home from somewhere and they literally pulled behind a building and dropped us off....not even a bus stop. Just a sketchy behind the building area where you had to walk at least 2 blocks to actually get to the bus stop it said would be the last one. So people probably missed their bus, it was close enough to my house I could just walk the rest of the way but not so sure about the other people on board.

But like what kind or a crackhead public transit planner organizes a bus to stop behind a random building before even reaching the street the schedule says it will take you to? i mean sure you can figure it out and get where you need to go but wtf?