Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:35 pm

Every time I think I've given up on this franchise, I get struck by the "I want to make my own video games" bug again. I've never bought any of these programs, but I've tried a couple free trials of them. Always gave up pretty early on because of how complicated everything looked. Does anybody have any experience with these games/programs? How hard are they to learn how to use effectively?

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:00 pm

I have RPG Maker VX Ace, which was the version before the most current. I have a little programming knowledge so it helps substantially (but I have no experience with the language used, Ruby). I think programming knowledge helps.

You have to have a level of dedication but it's a lot of fun to use, and fairly easy once you know how it works. Also there are a ton of free resources.

Lostinthesauce2
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2017, 3:44 am

I have no programming experience and have the same bug as you. I have MV and VX ace and me and my friend got pretty far into making a game, like two levels. It was a lot of fun and I guess all I can tell you is that it is complicated and you need a ton of time but your knowledge builds on itself. I was making "interactive cutscenes" after having it a few months but ultimately gave up. Definitely a hobby software but can be a good time. You will impress yourself. Just look at the components not the big picture of your game and things will happen.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 1:50 am

I own RPG Maker VX Ace and have made one full, if very small game with it. As far as usability goes, it's definitely from the easier end for the most part, but it does have features beyond the basic editing if you want to get advanced.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 7:51 am

I tinkered with RPG Maker 95 a bit in high school, and a tiny bit of 2000, they were both super simple to use. I don't know about the newer versions...I assume they're still fairly simple, but I think they have options to script stuff if you want more customization in your game.

The newer versions go on sale from time to time, they had a Humble Bundle for dirt cheap not long ago.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 8:41 am

It would be far more lucrative to design highly accurate rocket propelled grenades for the military. They would love a cheap and effective targeting and guidance system.

Moronerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2017, 7:02 am

I have the same thing where I get bitten by the "I'm going to make my own game!" bug occasionally.

These programs go on sale every once in a while on steam (Usually discounting them by thirty dollars or more.). That's when I grabbed my version of ace and later the latest version to come out. It's not that hard to learn basic stuff like making quests, adding classes, items and so forth. Watching tutorials or reading instructions helps. And if you enjoy writing, you'll have no trouble filling it in with that sort of content.

Art assets can be problematic since it shouldn't be too obvious that your game is an RPGmaker game. Unless you have artistic ability. Otherwise you'll find yourself shopping for new styles of graphics and potentially altering what's already there with image editing programs.

Serious projects take a lot of dedication (I've yet to finish.) but if you start small, like making a game that consists of one quest, you can polish that down until you've perfected what's there. Then you'll have a greater idea of how to organize bigger projects in compartments. Also, the latest version of RPGmaker has a lot of plugins that are free to use as long as you give credit (Many of these allow you to monetize your game as well). Ace does too, I think, although I've had less experience toying with that program.

In fact, I feel like I'm getting bitten by the bug just talking about making a game. Might make another attempt soon.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 7:55 am

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Every time I think I've given up on this franchise, I get struck by the "I want to make my own video games" bug again. I've never bought any of these programs, but I've tried a couple free trials of them. Always gave up pretty early on because of how complicated everything looked. Does anybody have any experience with these games/programs? How hard are they to learn how to use effectively?

It may be very confusing at first, but it is a good tool for a starter who wants to have some fun with a simple and engaging gaming development program.
When I was younger my brother gave to me a magazine with a mini tutorial and some old version of this and I remember having a very good time creating my stuff there.
You should try to find a tutorial that puts you in a good place to start, that talks about the basics and how the program works. After that, you probably will be good to start messing with it on your own until you feel more confident.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 8:33 am

If anyone is still thinking about picking one of these titles up, they are all on sale right now at the Humble Bundle Store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/degica-week/

They also have Code of Princess, I didn't even know that game got ported to the PC! (spiritual sequel to Guardian Heroes, originally on the 3DS)