Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2017, 3:46 pm

I came out as bi just last year to some of my trusted friends at school. Their responses were caring and supporting and they were all happy for me.

Just a couple months ago, one of my close male friends invited me and my best female friend out to eat with a group of our other friends. It was just a casual pub dinner with a group of friends and of course we said yes. Everything seemed to go well that night, no conflict.

A few weeks later during class I overheard the same male friend talking to my female friend about another male friend that was there that night. I overheard my male friend saying that he (the other guy) didn't know that we were invited and objected to it. Then my friend had asked him why is it a big deal. The other guy went on to say something along the lines of "well with one of them being bisexual and all, it might be a bit weird". Um well excuse me. What on earth does my sexuality have to do with this? My friend noticed I was listening and he told me about how everyone else in the group thought he was being a jerk, its her choice, don't discriminate etc etc. My female friend was in shock and she wasn't happy to hear that either.

I know that there are LGBTQ+ people in worse situations than these but it just bothers me how the guy who said this thinks he can talk like that and STILL text me, call me his friend, and act like none of this ever happened. Has anyone in school experienced this, or worse?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 4:21 pm

I was never out during highschool but I have had homophobic close friends before and I was shamefully homophobic myself as a child raised in a homophobic family. If your friend is decent human being you could try simply have an open discussion with him to address any ignorance he may have regarding LGBT people. Not all people who are homophobic, especially young people, are horrible people. Sometimes they just don't know any better and you can always take the opportunity to educate them otherwise in a calm, open, non-judgemental way.