Is it normal for aspies to be unemployed so long?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Smart blondie28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2017, 5:10 am

It's really starting to get me down. I'm applying for retail jobs and cafes even though I don't believe it's a good fit.

All I want is a career in my field and now I'm starting to believe I'm never going to get one and never going to get the life I want. I'm 30 this year:(

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 5:15 am

I believe it is pretty normal. From my experiences (and stuff I've read and heard)- many aspies are at big disadvantages. Many areas don't have help centers for people like us unfortunately. Many employers are extremely picky as it is- and once they find out people have some flaw.. chances are lower that you get the job.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:05 am

It is if every firm that you applied for doesn't let you know or sends the 'sorry but unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful' letter then you'll be unemployed for a long time. :idea:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:12 am

They won't hire you just because you have been unemployed a long time.
I know someone who started off in a low paying entry level job and moved up to a high paying job in the same company rather quickly. She took time off to raise some kids.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 6:17 pm

It's normal. Read some of the threads on this forum on how to get a job, there have been plenty of discussions over the years.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 6:24 pm

What are some reasons for this?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2017, 7:00 pm

Any hope or solutions in this thread?

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 9:58 pm

I never thought this was related to me being unable to find a job but it makes sense. As others have mentioned, I know from experience that being unemployed for a while will deter people from hiring you. But sometimes people don't care about that - it just takes a while to find that employer.

Out of 7 years after finishing college, I was employed non-consecutively for a total of 2 1/2 years at 3 retail jobs. I had to leave every one of them due to stress. I never found a job in my field and I've kind of given up trying because at this point, I can't work at all. Unfortunately I lost interest in my degree (computer information systems/programming) since I wasn't using it.

I'm not trying to deter you, just sharing my experience. You should definitely try to figure out the amount of stress you can and can't handle. And if possible, try to find an unpaid internship if you need experience. Depending on your field, you may also be able to freelance. I designed websites and did computer repair off and on for those years.