What kind of Visual Art do you make?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

marika.ashley
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2017, 12:36 am

Hi everybody!
I just graduated University with a Studio Art degree and an emphasis in oil painting. I learned to love oil paint as a medium, but my first and true loves are drawing and inking. I'm curious what mediums other visual art aspies prefer, and also the sort of imagery/subject matter you're drawn to! Please tell me about your artistic practice. ^^

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 4:18 am

Filmography, and I have not even started on making a film.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:33 pm

I've always wanted to get into oil painting. :) I mostly create animal realism portraits using dry media like charcoal, my favourite tool. Over time I've started to feel slightly restricted by my realism work however, and now frequently explore beyond exactly replicating a reference by eye - there's a real joy to be found when creating from the mind alone. I've grown to appreciate markers and ink for their boldness alongside the beautiful effects generated by watercolours: those three seem to have become the hallmark for my more spontaneous fantasy works.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm

I do celanimation and hand-drawn computer animation, illustration, character design. My favorite traditional art tools are markers and water color. I also like digital painting :)

marika.ashley
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Mar 2017, 1:58 am

crystaltermination wrote:
I've always wanted to get into oil painting. :) I mostly create animal realism portraits using dry media like charcoal, my favourite tool. Over time I've started to feel slightly restricted by my realism work however, and now frequently explore beyond exactly replicating a reference by eye - there's a real joy to be found when creating from the mind alone. I've grown to appreciate markers and ink for their boldness alongside the beautiful effects generated by watercolours: those three seem to have become the hallmark for my more spontaneous fantasy works.

Awesome! Is your profile picture one of your art pieces?
Imaginative realism is my interest, as well. It really is the best of both worlds; analytical replication and imaginative expression coming together. :) Oil paint is second to none when it comes to nuance of light and color, I highly recommend it for realism especially.
I am just beginning to grow accustomed to ink pens and markers and feel the need to branch out. I loved charcoal as a sketching medium, but I've always wanted to learn how to use it in developed pieces, as well.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:00 pm

marika.ashley wrote:
crystaltermination wrote:

Awesome! Is your profile picture one of your art pieces?
Imaginative realism is my interest, as well. It really is the best of both worlds; analytical replication and imaginative expression coming together. :) Oil paint is second to none when it comes to nuance of light and color, I highly recommend it for realism especially.
I am just beginning to grow accustomed to ink pens and markers and feel the need to branch out. I loved charcoal as a sketching medium, but I've always wanted to learn how to use it in developed pieces, as well.

No, my avatar here is a pic I took at the British Natural History museum of a stegosaurus! I have recently been pondering drawing something reminiscent of a dinosaur or incorporating 'prehistoric' overtones into a piece though, but just don't have the time right now.
Interesting, I like the terminology there (as an amateur I often don't know the correct terms to describe my own art by!) Visited the Tate Modern in London last year and despite the vast majority of the galleries being dedicated to abstract and conceptual works there were a few traditional oil portraits included - they were almost uncannily realistic. :) Charcoal is a fun if frustrating medium a lot of the time - blending stubs and malleable rubbers are an absolute must!