Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 4:27 pm

iliketrees wrote:
komamanga wrote:
This is the list in Rudy Simone's Aspergirls:

Quote:
SUMMARY OF SOME MAIN FEMALE/MALE DIFFERENCES

* Usually a little more expressive in face and gesture than male counterparts.
* Better at mirroring than males and so may mirror many different types of personalities.Hence females may not have a strong sense of identity, can be very chameleon-like, especially before diagnosis.
* Will have obsessions but they are not as abstruse or unusual as her male counterpart's and tend to be more practical (less likely to be a 'trainspotter')
* More open to talking about feelings and emotional issues than males wit AS.
* Less likely to receive early, correct diagnosis because the criteria are based on male behaviors/traits. (Hans Asperger studied males only.) More likely to be diagnosed as bipolar or manic depressive (common comorbids of autism/AS.)
* Physical gestures/behaviors when happy more expressive than males: hand flapping, clapping, singing, jumping up and down, running around, dancing, bouncing - this pertains to adult women as well as girls.
* Adult females are prone to both temper and crying meltdowns, even in public, sometimes over seemingly small things due to sensory or emotional overload. Hunger/ food issues seem to be a common trigger. Adult males not prone to crying.
* Tends to receive less tolerance and more expectation from others, because she appears more adept.
* Like males, she will dress comfortably, but may be thought androgynous, as she may have an aversion to makeup and complicated hair and clothing styles.
* Less likely to stutter than male counterparts when stressed or upset; although both may have a raspy, choked or monotone voice, or suffer mutism at those times.
* Females are generally better at socializing in small doses. May even give the appearance of skilled, but it is a 'performance'. Like her male counterpart, will shut down in social situations once overloaded.
* More likely to keep pets for emotional support but not always, due to sensory issues.

brb getting a sex change

She self diagnosed and then self un-diagnosed, saying she cured herself with diet, I don't trust that woman one bit.

Yeah I remember lot of autistic people were upset with her about it. She made these lists and wrote several books about autism and females and people on the spectrum could relate to it and then she decides she didn't have it so that leaves them confusion like did she make this all up. Does that mean they are not autistic either after all. Also the fact she was against the self diagnosed but yet wouldn't get herself diagnosed and claimed to be aspie so she was a big hypocrite. She decided autism was a gut issue. Okay either she never had it or she treated her symptoms with a diet which works for some people on the spectrum. I have heard of autism and gluten free diets and it helps with their symptoms so why not make them disappear too because they were that mild while for others it makes theirs less severe because their autism is that bad.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 4:44 pm

Rudy Simone's talent is sales, not counselling. She sold a worthless course to my local healthcare providers so they could spend lots of money and pretend to be doing their jobs.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

That's kinda sad thing to learn. I liked her books...

Queeringcal
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Mar 2017, 8:45 pm

Not to go off topic... :D
I have spent the better part of two years trying to answer a very similar question. Are female Aspies different than male Aspies and are they treated differently? As far as traits? No. Are the same traits treated differently according to who (whom?) displays them in light of their attractiveness (not only physical)? Yes. I'm not sure it matters as much for either sex if you're attractive. I read numerous Asperger blogs and the traits (male/female) seemed all quite similar as did their experience with lack of acceptance of their autism (i.e. ranging from: You don't have autism to You don't look/seem like someone who has autism). I've concluded that attractiveness seems to be a factor when accessing traits, anecdotally.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 11:49 pm

Queeringcal wrote:
Not to go off topic... :D
I have spent the better part of two years trying to answer a very similar question. Are female Aspies different than male Aspies and are they treated differently? As far as traits? No. Are the same traits treated differently according to who (whom?) displays them in light of their attractiveness (not only physical)? Yes. I'm not sure it matters as much for either sex if you're attractive. I read numerous Asperger blogs and the traits (male/female) seemed all quite similar as did their experience with lack of acceptance of their autism (i.e. ranging from: You don't have autism to You don't look/seem like someone who has autism). I've concluded that attractiveness seems to be a factor when accessing traits, anecdotally.

Explains why nobody doubts my autism, I'm ugly as f**k :lol:

Queeringcal
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Mar 2017, 2:34 am

Quote:

[quote="iliketrees"] :P

Sense of humor is, for instance, a trait which I found to be rather similar among male/female Aspies while reading the blogs.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:16 am

Let me toss this idea out.

In the general population men and women differ by gender from each other in thinking, and behavior etc.
So "neurotypicalness" "presents" differently by gender.

Is it possible that aspie females tend to be more "male" in their thought processes than NT females. Thus making them more like males (both NT males, and aspie males) than females in general?

Just a thought.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:20 am

Queeringcal wrote:
Quote:

iliketrees wrote:
:P

Sense of humor is, for instance, a trait which I found to be rather similar among male/female Aspies while reading the blogs.

And IMO is a very attractive quality

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 12:31 pm

I didn't think there was any difference between male and female aspie traits.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 5:44 pm

I too don't notice much of a difference between male and female aspie traits.

I've seen it suggested that female aspies have masculine brains, which probably explains the high rate of FTM transgenderism amongst people on the spectrum. However, most of the female aspies I know have very typically female interests. I don't know if it's them trying to overcompensate for having a male brain though. I know it was the case with me for some of my childhood.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~