Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 4:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I predict in the future, the masses will eat artificially grown meat, while the only the rich will eat the meat of actual animals, which will be an expensive luxury,

Road kill will still be free and plentiful if you really crave real meat.

If I'm genuinely facing starvation, then that roadkill is going to be looking pretty good!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Drake wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I personally have no problem with eating animals, as we are just one of many species that eat other creatures. If lions and wolves aren't going to stop eating other animals, I don't think I should have to, either.

That's not a fair comparison because those animals are carnivores, while we are not.

Wolves, humans and bears are all examples of omnivores that are also apex predators. ;)

We're not predators, we're farmers. We get our meet husbanding animals, not by preying on them.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:11 pm

One does not exclude the other. A species that takes prey is a predator. Humans take prey. Humans are predators.

Image+

or maybe these guys are just some really hardcore dog walkers?

Also, in humans, hunting predates animal husbandry by quite a bit.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:13 pm

Fair point but very few of us eat prey.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:17 pm

I saw a fresh young rabbit and a fox squirrel on the road today.Mmmm good.Dumplings.
On another note you can use road kill to feed fish.Scoop it up,hang above pond,lets the maggots feed the fish.Better than chemical food,it's what a fish wants.A nice fat maggot.

Kraichgauer wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I predict in the future, the masses will eat artificially grown meat, while the only the rich will eat the meat of actual animals, which will be an expensive luxury,

Road kill will still be free and plentiful if you really crave real meat.

If I'm genuinely facing starvation, then that roadkill is going to be looking pretty good!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:24 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Drake wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I personally have no problem with eating animals, as we are just one of many species that eat other creatures. If lions and wolves aren't going to stop eating other animals, I don't think I should have to, either.

That's not a fair comparison because those animals are carnivores, while we are not.

Wolves, humans and bears are all examples of omnivores that are also apex predators. ;)

We're not predators, we're farmers. We get our meet husbanding animals, not by preying on them.

No,the Native Americans on the plains did not practice animal husbandry.The ones on the east coast had started domesticating birds,turkeys.We were first predators,then husbandry.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I saw a fresh young rabbit and a fox squirrel on the road today.Mmmm good.Dumplings.
On another note you can use road kill to feed fish.Scoop it up,hang above pond,lets the maggots feed the fish.Better than chemical food,it's what a fish wants.A nice fat maggot.

Those aren't the real Beverly Hillbillies! They're imposters!

Where's Buddy Ebsen? Where's Irene Ryan, Donna Douglas and Max Baer Jr?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 6:15 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Those aren't the real Beverly Hillbillies! They're imposters!

Where's Buddy Ebsen? Where's Irene Ryan, Donna Douglas and Max Baer Jr?

I have no idea why there is a double post. :?
The remake is really good,worth watching for a laugh.Jim Varney is gone now,the only person that could do a Jed Clampet besides Buddy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 6:27 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Actually most of us still do eat "prey". In fact in some countries (like Japan) they get virtually all of their protein from "game", or "prey". But its not usually called "game", or "prey". Its usually called "seafood". The fishing industry is the last remnant of the cave man days because virtually all of the fish, crustaceans, and mollusks, that we get from the sea are wild animals that we have to go out into nature and capture like were stone age hunters. Even the small amount of seafood that is "farmed" on "fish farms" relies on wild caught sea organisms to feed the farmed fish.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 3:49 am

naturalplastic wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Actually most of us still do eat "prey". In fact in some countries (like Japan) they get virtually all of their protein from "game", or "prey". But its not usually called "game", or "prey". Its usually called "seafood". The fishing industry is the last remnant of the cave man days because virtually all of the fish, crustaceans, and mollusks, that we get from the sea are wild animals that we have to go out into nature and capture like were stone age hunters. Even the small amount of seafood that is "farmed" on "fish farms" relies on wild caught sea organisms to feed the farmed fish.

Fair point.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 12:23 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Utterly beside the point. ;)
I was describing the niche we evolved to fit, not where our food comes from. Without agriculture or in places where it's not possible we resort to hunting and are very effective at it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 3:41 pm

Misslizard wrote:
No,the Native Americans on the plains did not practice animal husbandry.The ones on the east coast had started domesticating birds,turkeys.We were first predators,then husbandry.

Off topic, but the story of the plains Indians involves displacement. The Comanche originally lived near the Great Lakes, and got pushed out to the plains as a result of other tribes being pushed West. Various tribes adapted to life on the plains, but circumstances necessitated the more primitive lifestyle.

On topic, I like the idea and I would try it. Maybe we can grow whale meat, manatee meat, and other endangered meats.