If you could go back in time, what would you tell yourself?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 5:18 pm

There are some really good posts in the parents section. Some wise souls

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 5:22 pm

That there ARE other Aspies out there, contrary to popular belief. Theyr'e just a click away

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

That permanent feeling of despair? It's depression. Get to a doctor ASAP.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 7:17 pm

i'd tell myself to skip school cos it never did any good for me

StellaOzzy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2017, 7:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
I must have missed the parenting section on my first scan of the forums, but i'll look through there for any insights from parents of autistic children.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by using the words 'treatment for autism', I know my son is autistic, and its part of who he is, but as a parent I want to make sure he has every opportunity available to him.

Thanks again

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:23 pm

StellaOzzy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.
I must have missed the parenting section on my first scan of the forums, but i'll look through there for any insights from parents of autistic children.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by using the words 'treatment for autism', I know my son is autistic, and its part of who he is, but as a parent I want to make sure he has every opportunity available to him.

That's what my parents did for me and it had huge benefits for me.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 9:11 am

Learn to do normal, everyday things such as drive at the regular age.

Look for a Toastmasters group and join it.

Have a more balanced life, instead of having my nose in the books all day. Do something active.

I'm doing these things now, but I would have been so much farther along in life had I done certain things much earlier.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 3:09 pm

Fight back against schoolyard bullies, even if it means the risk of getting arrested. Bullies are relentlessly cruel and the years of therapy were far more expensive than a trip to youth court to explain yourself.

Going to University is a huge waste of time and money. College is a better cheaper option than your $20,000 piece of toilet paper known as a Commerce Degree.

Join an organization such as Saint John Ambulance, Toastmasters and/or Habitat for Humanity during your early 20s.

Don't sacrifice your younger years in hopes of "saving" for the future. It's important to not work 6 days a week as a 20 year old because nobody appreciates it and you will burn out.

You have anxiety and depression. It runs in both sides of the family and is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Stop obsessing over being single, a virgin, how to propose, get married, etc. It might take a while but the woman of your dreams will find you and getting married will be the most natural thing in the world. All your married friends will get divorced one by one and you will have the last laugh.

On that note, that girl you are dating that seems a little off? She is crazy and so is her family. RUN LIKE THE WIND!! !! !! ! I know you are desperate for a relationship but your time will come.

Just because your brother looks to be far more successful and well liked than you doesn't make it true.

Relax.