Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2017, 10:20 pm

I have a hypothesis that many mental health diagnoses, such as ADHD and Bipolar Disorder, arise from the maladaptive coping mechanisms of neurodiverse people.

I have a dx of ADHD, but yet I've perceived differences between adults and children with the disorder and myself. I've noticed individuals with ADHD present as more "manic" and "wired" than myself - in fact, I find them a bit exhausting after a while. I also noticed that some ADHD individuals have impaired to average intelligence while it seems Aspies here consistently have above average intelligence and creativity. I myself tend to more of the "spaciness" and inattentiveness consistent with an ADHD diagnoses. I can be restless at times and sometimes experience hyperactive bursts, but I think it arises from the need to "stim," rather than being constant. I return to baseline after getting the stim out of my system.

To fellow WPers who have cormorbid diagnoses: What do you think? Have you been misdiagnosed in the past? Do you compensate for your aspie traits with manic, depressive or obessessive behavior?

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 4:14 pm

bump

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 4:19 pm

Hello. Personally, because of how much research I do on other mental disorders (it's my obsession), I can say that I have not been misdiagnosed. The only thing that may not be true is that I have a LD, which isn't technically a mental disorder, but I think I have AD/HD - PI instead of this because my memory problems impact all my life instead of just school. But overall, no.

I have social and generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, and now depression. Social anxiety may be worse due to ASD, but I don't believe it's fully caused by it. The other disorders I have I believe stand on their own.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf