Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 9:19 am

Hi again.

I have aspergers and social anxiety. I've never started a conversation with a stranger. And I can't start a conversation easily with a classmate or someone like that, only when necessary. I can only do this easily with my family.

Its hard for me to meet new people. I am living with my family and i barely go out. Usually i go out for a walk in the mornings in seaside. I finished high school so i am not going to school now. I am studying for university exam so i will start going to university this year. But i doubt i can socialize in university.

For example where can i go to meet new people? How can i get his/her phone number if we become friends? And since i have autism, my behaviors and talking may be weird. Does it prevent making friends?

I cant start chatting with random people in the streets. But how do these people make a lot of friends, where?

I know internet friendships are like real friendships but i need to socialize in real life. So pls dont suggest me meet up or tinder thanks.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 9:35 am

What are your interests?

If you enjoy reading, join a book club.

If you enjoy physical activities, join a gym and/or a local sports club.

If you are good at making things, join an arts and crafts class.

And so forth.

And if you have any spare time during the day, you could also consider volunteering.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 10:11 am

JakeASD wrote:
What are your interests?

If you enjoy reading, join a book club.

If you enjoy physical activities, join a gym and/or a local sports club.

If you are good at making things, join an arts and crafts class.

And so forth.

And if you have any spare time during the day, you could also consider volunteering.

Hmmmmmm.....

My only special interest at the moment is computer programming. I started game programming when i was 11 or 12 years old for hobby. But i rarely do that now.

In the past i was reading books regularly and i liked reading but now i rarely read books.

And in high school i was good at painting my teacher selected my painting for exhibition but now i dont paint or do other arts.

I like listening to music but i dont like playing instruments.

I spend my time on mobile phone on facebook and instagram and i'm playing 8 ball pool, and i study, watch tv, go out for a walk etc.

And my mother and father are forcing me to study most of the time and stop playing with my phone but i hate my anti social life and i am sad most of the time. So i give up on everything and i do nothing. I care my loneliness too much and i think i will be forever alone :cry:

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 10:12 am

Meetup.com all the way. That way, you can lock into groups of people that share your passions and interests. I also like places where "brainy" people hang out, like in libraries, bookstores, etc.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 11:11 am

antnego wrote:
Meetup.com all the way. That way, you can lock into groups of people that share your passions and interests. I also like places where "brainy" people hang out, like in libraries, bookstores, etc.

But im autistic and my behaviors may be weird. I think if i make an appointment with someone on that site, they will regret and choose another peer.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 11:52 am

No help? :(

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 12:48 pm

Up

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 3:42 pm

Awkward wrote:
But im autistic and my behaviors may be weird. I think if i make an appointment with someone on that site, they will regret and choose another peer.

Your behaviors may be "weird," but the fact that you're pointing that out means you're conscious of it. And you're usually around groups, not just one person. If you search for already-established groups, then you'll be encountering multiple people. Plus, you don't make "appointments." You just meet up at prescheduled events. Hence the name, Meetup.

If you can't suppress the "weirdness," just explain to them you have a form of autism, and I'm sure most will understand. You can meet a lot of nice, interest-driven folks on Meetup.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

MarkJ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2017, 3:06 am

Joining a (small) local club can be good.

I'm part of a model railway club here that has a small member base, while there are also others with much larger membership. The good thing about being a small club is it feels more likely a family, with just a small number of people to acquaint and interact with. I often feel more uncomfortable with larger groups.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 8:01 am

MarkJ wrote:
Joining a (small) local club can be good.

I'm part of a model railway club here that has a small member base, while there are also others with much larger membership. The good thing about being a small club is it feels more likely a family, with just a small number of people to acquaint and interact with. I often feel more uncomfortable with larger groups.

Hmmmmm....

Where can I find such clubs

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 8:06 am

antnego wrote:
Awkward wrote:

Your behaviors may be "weird," but the fact that you're pointing that out means you're conscious of it. And you're usually around groups, not just one person. If you search for already-established groups, then you'll be encountering multiple people. Plus, you don't make "appointments." You just meet up at prescheduled events. Hence the name, Meetup.

If you can't suppress the "weirdness," just explain to them you have a form of autism, and I'm sure most will understand. You can meet a lot of nice, interest-driven folks on Meetup.

I'm too shy to reveal my autism :cry:
It's better not to tell them. :P

And i am an unconfident person. I am anxious of meeting up with strangers because i have social anxiety.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 8:46 am

Awkward,

You open threads ask almost the same questions, repeatedly.

Have you considered journaling to help record your thoughts and actions?

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 9:00 am

Keigan wrote:
Awkward,

You open threads ask almost the same questions, repeatedly.

Have you considered journaling to help record your thoughts and actions?

Haha :P

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 9:03 am

I open these threads because I'm wondering how you guys fit in social life. I am socially awkward :(

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 1:27 pm

How do you guys fit in social life as autistic

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 1:41 pm

Awkward wrote:
I open these threads because I'm wondering how you guys fit in social life. I am socially awkward :(

I am almost 27 and find myself in the very same situation. My advice would be to act before it's too late; the older you become the more challenging it will be. Trust me, I know!