Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 1:41 pm

Awkward wrote:
I open these threads because I'm wondering how you guys fit in social life. I am socially awkward :(

I am almost 27 and find myself in the very same situation. My advice would be to act before it's too late; the older you become the more challenging it will be. Trust me, I know!

MadZat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

You should search for people with the same interests like you. Since small talk is a challenge for aspies you can talk about things you are passionate about like books, music or whatever.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:11 pm

Quote:
I've never started a conversation with a stranger.

With this, you have just started a conversation. It's that easy.

But, what would you like a stranger to do, for you.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 4:42 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Quote:
I've never started a conversation with a stranger.

With this, you have just started a conversation. It's that easy.

But, what would you like a stranger to do, for you.

I just want to meet new people

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:55 pm

:D Hello. Nice to meet you.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Mar 2017, 4:03 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
:D Hello. Nice to meet you.

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2017, 6:29 am

All I can say is to try & keep to yourself & learn to think before you act, if you show some signs of weirdness that you didn't mean to do on purpose then surely someone has to be understanding. Like I said before you could try going off space & not intend groups & if someone seems interested in you then maybe you won't be lonely.....just be careful what you say to someone in person, but if someone blackmails you, doesn't show empathy & someone just pitys you, treats you with disrespect, etc. then don't talk to someone who does that to you (especially if you have had trust issues in the past/present).

Another thing I would recommend is to watch Chris Chan videos on youtube. Chris Chan is the person that is inspiring me to not be very autistic like as an adult, Chris Chan is a high-functioning autistic & he messed up his life badly without thinking (I'll put a link to a documentary in this comment if you never heard of him).

I'm sorry if my comment wasn't helpful but I can be here to try & give advice anytime you like, good luck dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXjnakAlF-s

https://socialanxietyinstitute.org/soci ... ifferences

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:31 pm

I met most of my friends through school, either high school or college. My best friend, however, I met via the internet (Tumblr, to be specific). We bonded over our common interests. I would recommend looking for friends with common interests, whether it be online or in-person. For example, if you like tabletop gaming, try visiting a local comic book store's game night. If you use Facebook, you can also find local groups of people who like certain things (like my local Whovians group, I have met up with people from there for dinner and movies and it has been helpful).

I personally find it hard to make small talk, but could go on and on for hours about my special interests. Once you find people who are like you, it gets easier to interact with people, at least from my experience.

Good luck! :D

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm

If you're in classes, those are one of the best ways to meet and practice talking to new people. You're both there regularly so there are opportunities to visit when you don't know each other yet.

Classes, workplace, social groups for interests, and groups of friends are the most common places to meet people. People spend time around each other to begin with, and often have some shared interests that brought them there. But, actually making friends is easier said than done.

No matter where you go, people might think you're weird. There's really no way around that except to practice, and try to learn more about people. Can't please everyone, but can try to please a few.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 7:00 pm

Meeting people who come from similar backgrounds as you, Aspie and NT alike, is a good way to meet people.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2017, 8:39 am

I currently have no friends. I'm looking forward to pass the exam in June and start studying at university this year. Can I socialize in university?

MarkJ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2017, 7:24 pm

Awkward wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Joining a (small) local club can be good.

I'm part of a model railway club here that has a small member base, while there are also others with much larger membership. The good thing about being a small club is it feels more likely a family, with just a small number of people to acquaint and interact with. I often feel more uncomfortable with larger groups.

Hmmmmm....

Where can I find such clubs

I guess there's no easy answer to this one. Try looking online for local clubs with interests of yours I guess. Perhaps hobby shows may help you find something. What clubs are available to you will certainly differ based on your interests and location.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 8:15 pm

Awkward wrote:
How do you meet new people?
What happens when looking at it from the angle of, How do new people meet you?
I wonder if that approach might be a thing to think about.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 12:16 pm

I sign up for activities related to my interests.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

imho, have a purpose, for talking to someone. Being goal-oriented is one way of not being awkward.