Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 4:26 pm

So for about a month or so, I've gone into depression. I'm exhausted, have sleep problems, low mood, eating problems, the whole thing. But this was brought up by someone, and they think that I may be obsessing over my depression. I know, as my username states, my obsession is mental illnesses, and depression is a mental illness, so it could be possible. They stated that it wasn't healthy or a good idea for me to keep researching into depression because then that's all my mind can think about and then I can't get anything else done. Though I do have OCD, this is different, as it doesn't cause anxiety to read about it. So is it a problem for me to keep researching about depression now that I am suffering from it? I did this with every other diagnosis I have gotten, just researching about it. Is there a point where it's too much? Is my obsession causing a problem in my treatment for depression? I am just trying to learn about it and how to treat it, but I keep reading the symptoms over and over again because every website wants to explain it, and then I look at myself to see what symptoms I'm presenting. Thanks for any responses.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 5:03 pm

It is normal for those on the autism spectrum to be obsessed about something, mental illness just seems to be your special interest/obsession. If you weren't obsessed about that you would likely be obsessed about something else.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 5:29 pm

I thought OCD meant that you do something to relieve anxiety, a compulsion, from a thought or whatever. Like just because you obsess about something doesn't mean you have OCD. I also have depression and I obsess about mental illness, particularly my AS all the time. It stems from insecurity and fear and emptiness and incompleteness and confusion and a whole bunch of feelings. I'm not satisfied or I'll obsess over obsession. I guess I just like knowing how I'm feeling or how my mind works.