Do you think high functioning autistics/Aspies have ....

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do HAs/Aspies have privilege?
Yes 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 29 ]
I don't know 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Maybe 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 48

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:53 pm

It's a society obsessed with being "offended."

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2017, 9:16 pm

Those of us who are high functioning have no privileges because we often have to work much harder to get things like a stable job as on the outside, we pass as NT.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 9:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
FreakyZettairyouiki wrote:
Do you think high functioning autistics/Aspies have privilege? Why or why not? I've been thinking about this later. My aunt said I was lucky that people can't tell that I have a disability (even though I don't consider it that personally) right away and my doctor was shocked when I told her I had AS. She said she honestly had no idea. It got me thinking of how I pass to NTs. It's only when you get to know me more that you'll notice something a little different.

What does any of this have to do with "privilege"?

Nothing you stated here is an example of any kind of "privilege".
Why?

Why what?

A "privilege" is a benifit given to you because you belong to some special class of people.

You have disability, but it is invisible. Thats all she said. Where is the "privilege"?

I dont see the connection.

If anything its the opposite of privilege. If you have a visible disability (like a leg in a cast) folks make allowances for you. If you have an invisible disablity folks dont make allowances for you. So you're screwed. Which is the opposite of "privilege".

Privilege just doesn't involve classes of people. And in this case the class of people is NTs. You are able to pass as one or you are not able to pass as one and those that do may get treated differently, as in privilege.
docfox wrote:
I sometimes wonder what society we live in where we are seriously discussing if any disability gives you 'privilege'.

There was this Aspie fighting with someone on Tumblr because apparently she wasn't supposed to speak for low functioning people because of her privilege. This is where my question came from. I wasn't really stating my opinion on this. Just wanted to ask around.

Exuvian wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Do you think high functioning autistics/Aspies have privilege? Why or why not? I've been thinking about this later. My aunt said I was lucky that people can't tell that I have a disability (even though I don't consider it that personally) right away and my doctor was shocked when I told her I had AS. She said she honestly had no idea. It got me thinking of how I pass to NTs. It's only when you get to know me more that you'll notice something a little different.

What does any of this have to do with "privilege"?

Nothing you stated here is an example of any kind of "privilege".

Privilege: "a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most"
The assumed benefit being the ability to pass... or immunity from some of the issues that others have to deal with who don't have that option.

Exactly!

By the way if anyone is wondering why I'm asking this:
http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/post/106953276216/as-a-high-functioning-medically-accepted-term
http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/post/139741109656/im-just-saying-autistics-experience-their
http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/post/137988646316/7-everyday-ways-neurotypical-people-are-privileged

Her name is neurowonderful. I'm sure you've heard of her. Kinda got me thinking.

Last edited by FreakyZettairyouiki on 27 Mar 2017, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 9:51 pm

It's not a "privilege" to be treated with respect.

It is a basic human right.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 9:57 pm

docfox wrote:
I sometimes wonder what society we live in where we are seriously discussing if any disability gives you 'privilege'.

I thought the question was whether "HF" persons have 'privilege' vs. "LF". Overall, it's an easy "yes" for me.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm

In response to Shahunsha's example:

Maybe she's just a genius and not autistic at all. I've been doing a lot of research on overdiagnosis as well. Gifted people naturally feel out of touch with a majority of the population because they can't relate to a majority of people. I'm sure someone who's Harvard-bound has very little "impairments." She'll be living a charmed life instead of living in the trenches with the rest of us, whose potential was genuinely limited because of impairments.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 10:18 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
It varies on a case by case thing I have two examples to testify to this.

Their is a girl in my class who is "Autistic." She is 15, has an IQ in the top 1% and is two years above her year level, has many friends and in the future wants to go to Harvard. To me that seems like privilege because of her autism she was able to climb greatly. She scores near perfect results in Maths, is a genius and widely seen as the smartest person in the room.

Then their is another girl who also had high IQ. Unlike her she was thrown two years below her year level. She loved science and was incredibly smart. The thing is she couldn't articulate herself. People just labelled her as ret*d over and over again. She didn't have any friends hardly anyone anyone to talk to. And recently she admitted she knew what it is like to depressed. Every measure we give in our society to being intelligent she had it yet all that happened was that she was dismissed.

To me I think it is complicated, one person with High functioning autism can be hampered the other utilizes it to climb.

Of course this may just be a superficial outlook.

The second example is me. I also have depression as well. I know I'm not just a gifted person because 1) that means the psychologist that labeled me was wrong? and 2) I guess when my mom said I limped as a child, smiled at the sky when I was by myself as kid, talked to myself, was uncoordinated, or hyperlexic was just a coincidence?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:29 pm

antnego wrote:
In response to Shahunsha's example:

Maybe she's just a genius and not autistic at all. I've been doing a lot of research on overdiagnosis as well. Gifted people naturally feel out of touch with a majority of the population because they can't relate to a majority of people. I'm sure someone who's Harvard-bound has very little "impairments." She'll be living a charmed life instead of living in the trenches with the rest of us, whose potential was genuinely limited because of impairments.
She's autistic, she may not have it all easy but it certainly seems that way now. She said she couldn't speak till later and the way she sometimes talks does occasionally indicate it.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:33 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
It varies on a case by case thing I have two examples to testify to this.

Their is a girl in my class who is "Autistic." She is 15, has an IQ in the top 1% and is two years above her year level, has many friends and in the future wants to go to Harvard. To me that seems like privilege because of her autism she was able to climb greatly. She scores near perfect results in Maths, is a genius and widely seen as the smartest person in the room.

Then their is another girl who also had high IQ. Unlike her she was thrown two years below her year level. She loved science and was incredibly smart. The thing is she couldn't articulate herself. People just labelled her as ret*d over and over again. She didn't have any friends hardly anyone anyone to talk to. And recently she admitted she knew what it is like to depressed. Every measure we give in our society to being intelligent she had it yet all that happened was that she was dismissed.

To me I think it is complicated, one person with High functioning autism can be hampered the other utilizes it to climb.

Of course this may just be a superficial outlook.

The second example is me. I also have depression as well. I know I'm not just a gifted person because 1) that means the psychologist that labeled me was wrong? and 2) I guess when my mom said I limped as a child, smiled at the sky when I was by myself as kid, talked to myself, was uncoordinated, or hyperlexic was just a coincidence?
You sound like you have been through quite a few struggles yourself. Must have taken allot to get where you are now.

I think it is somewhat hard to be like the person I just mentioned. She had tutors and quite literally struggled to put a sentence together. hyperlexic may be a good word for her, she read allot of national geographic books and knew just tones.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 10:49 pm

Quote:

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but isn't it difficult to identify so much with someone with such limited information about them? For example, nothing was mentioned about your characteristics of depression, hyperlexia, lack of motor coordination and self-talk in the example given.

I think it's constructive to be curious of people's diagnostic labels. While I doubt a majority of people are trying to hide behind a label, there are those out there who would simply use a label to gain some sort of abstract social advantage or recognition. Some who are more socially attuned may use a label to infiltrate and feel part of specialized social group.

I openly investigate and question whatever labels are applied to myself as well. The DSM diagnostic labels directly serve to profit the Psychiatric and pharmaceutical industries. I don't want to run the risk of living a self-fulfilling prophecy. Confirmation bias is real.

My intent isn't to minimize yours or anybody's pain, but to apply critical thinking. Autism usually isn't some "gift" or gateway to a better future. It's more less something to be overcome in order to live a more functional life.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:59 pm

antnego wrote:
Autism usually isn't some "gift" or gateway to a better future. It's more less something to be overcome in order to live a more functional life.

It isn't particularly a gift...but it is a life long condition. One wont get very far if they put everything else on hold until they 'overcome' their autism.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 11:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
antnego wrote:
Autism usually isn't some "gift" or gateway to a better future. It's more less something to be overcome in order to live a more functional life.

It isn't particularly a gift...but it is a life long condition. One wont get very far if they put everything else on hold until they 'overcome' their autism.

True, life happens regardless. It's more or less an experiment where you learn by trial-and-error over time. I've been "overcoming" for a very long time now, but life has been okay in the past few years :D Even the rough times had plenty of good moments.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 11:24 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
antnego wrote:

I don't know, sometimes people make a career out of their autism.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 11:29 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
antnego wrote:

I don't know, sometimes people make a career out of their autism.

You've got me there :)

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:18 am

Are you asking if those with HFASD have "privilege", or if those who "pass" do? Those are very different questions.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:51 am

Amongst people without disabilities : no, HFA people are STILL disabled regardless on how "normal" they look.

Amongst other people who have disabilities: yeah we do. We can speak and adapt a lot better than other. But actually now that i think Of it disabilites come in all shapes and sizes, like Dislexia is conidered a disability and deafness.

I beleive we have privledge in the autism comunity because we can speak and preform at least a little better than our non verbal counterparts even though we are still disabled. But amogst people outside the autism community we are not privledged.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com