Do you think high functioning autistics/Aspies have ....

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do HAs/Aspies have privilege?
Yes 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 29 ]
I don't know 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Maybe 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 48

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:18 am

Are you asking if those with HFASD have "privilege", or if those who "pass" do? Those are very different questions.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:51 am

Amongst people without disabilities : no, HFA people are STILL disabled regardless on how "normal" they look.

Amongst other people who have disabilities: yeah we do. We can speak and adapt a lot better than other. But actually now that i think Of it disabilites come in all shapes and sizes, like Dislexia is conidered a disability and deafness.

I beleive we have privledge in the autism comunity because we can speak and preform at least a little better than our non verbal counterparts even though we are still disabled. But amogst people outside the autism community we are not privledged.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 2:34 am

People are confusing privileges, supports and rewards. Privileges are advantages given for reasons that have nothing to do with merit. Rewards are things given for merit. Supports are given with the intent of making up for disadvantage.

Although it is a bad idea because it is divisive one could argue about which group of Autistics are more disadvantaged. That is very different from bieng privilaged.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 3:16 am

If the OP is asking "are HFA and aspies privileged as compared to most people in general?"

I dont see it.

If the OP means "are HFAs and aspie privileged compared to other people on the autism spectrum?" thats different.

Obviously if you are higher functioning you would tend to act more like an NT so you would tend to "pass" as NT (like a light skinned Black would be better able to pass as White in the Jim Crow South of the Thirties).

Blacks who could pass in the segregated old south did have privileges over other Blacks. But the OP did not give a single example of how the fact that she can pass as NT makes her "privileged" over other autistics by being able to "pass" as NT. So she hasnt shown how being HFA is analogous to being a light skinned Black in Jim Crow days.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 3:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
People are confusing privileges, supports and rewards. Privileges are advantages given for reasons that have nothing to do with merit. Rewards are things given for merit. Supports are given with the intent of making up for disadvantage.

Although it is a bad idea because it is divisive one could argue about which group of Autistics are more disadvantaged. That is very different from bieng privilaged.

The OP is certainly confused.

From 1960 to 1994 the label "autistic" only applied to Kanner type classic LFA's. So folks today (like the OP) (who are HFA, or Type I) would not even have been classified as "autistic" by therapists (much less the by the public) then.

So by the OP's logic because she would not have been recognized as "autistic" if she had been alive prior to the 21st century she would have been "privileged" back then. That is of course utter nonsense. Folks like her would not have had the label of high functioning autistic, but they would still have the behavior of high functioning autism, and they would still get s**t dumped on them by society for having that behavior. You wouldnt get s**t for being "autistic", but you would get the same amount of s**t for being "some kind of sick wierdo". Same s**t,but different labels. In fact thats still pretty much still the case today. Most NTs dont have autism on their radar screen anyway (the way they tend to have race or sexual orientation on their radar screen as things). So even if you pass as not autistic folks still think that you're a wierdo.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 3:54 am

I would think most of those who consider it an advantage are the Asperger/HFA extremists.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:22 am

Privileged in comparison to who?

People who get taken care of and don't have to work a single day in their life and deal with office politics and that kind of crap some NTs throw at us every day so we have to take anxiety meds to make it through the working week constantly having to worry about if we're getting fired for violating some BS social rule and could end up losing the place we live in?

Privileged against autistics who instead of having to deal with all the crap above can spend their lives geeking out 24/7 on every special interest that pop into their brains?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:26 am

248RPA wrote:
I would think most of those who consider it an advantage are the Asperger/HFA extremists.

Well, that or LFA and low empathy and knowing nothing about the world outside the pink fantasy bubble they spend their lives in. It's not exactly zippey-di-do-da world on the outside.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 6:45 am

This topic reminds me of those news stations that say, "person in bus crash survives with minor injuries"... how fortunate!" Well, they weren't so fortunate compared to people who didn't get in a wreck at all that day. They probably were fortunate compared to the outcome of others who've been in that situation.

The comparison was never HFA being fortunate/privileged over NT, but HFA being fortunate/privileged over LFA, and whether it's better to be able to mostly blend in, or be always apparent in diagnosis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 9:09 am

There's always some "privilege" granted to some individual person for any reason under the sun. Whether through birth or through earning it.

I have earned some "privilege." Other "privileges" were granted to me at birth.

I don't begrudge anybody having "privilege"--unless the person lords the "privilege" over me.

I am "privileged" in some respects, and "disabled" in others.

What's the big deal about somebody having "privilege," anyway? As long as their "privilege" doesn't interfere with my "privilege."

I'm not "checking any privilege at the door."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 6:26 pm

Exuvian wrote:

The comparison was never HFA being fortunate/privileged over NT, but HFA being fortunate/privileged over LFA, and whether it's better to be able to mostly blend in, or be always apparent in diagnosis.

If thats the case: that the OP was saying that HFA/aspies are "priviledged" compared to LFAs (and was not talking about NTs), and her basis for thinking that is solely based up HFA/aspies ability to "blend in" then what does that mean?

It means that "the subset of people on the autism spectrum who are by definition closest to NTs, tend to be more often mistaken by nts for being nts". In other words "people who resemble NTs, tend to... resemble NTs" which is a tautology. Like saying "bachelors tend to be single, and male", or saying that "Roman Catholics tend to believe in Roman Catholicism".

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 10:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Exuvian wrote:

If thats the case: that the OP was saying that HFA/aspies are "priviledged" compared to LFAs (and was not talking about NTs), and her basis for thinking that is solely based up HFA/aspies ability to "blend in" then what does that mean?

It means that "the subset of people on the autism spectrum who are by definition closest to NTs, tend to be more often mistaken by nts for being nts". In other words "people who resemble NTs, tend to... resemble NTs" which is a tautology. Like saying "bachelors tend to be single, and male", or saying that "Roman Catholics tend to believe in Roman Catholicism".

Yes, that's correct. The question was whether this should be thought of as a "privilege" vs. being more "obvious" on the spectrum.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 12:18 am

From my experience, it has been much easier for me to receive help or aid than it is for the Aspies I know. So in some ways, I am more privileged than them.
However, behaviour almost always gives every high functioning I know away, including myself. It seems so easy for the Aspies I know to appear normal. Literally every autistic I know who doesn't have Aspergers has T-Rex or meerkat arms; I can't help it, I just do it. Usually something in speech tips of people too.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:54 am

BegginTurtle wrote:
From my experience, it has been much easier for me to receive help or aid than it is for the Aspies I know.
This is true, in my experience.

For example, once I was in a class that had a classic HFA kid in it (she told us). I found that the teacher was more tolerant of her while I (the undiagnosed Asperger's kid) got yelled at more often for messing up. Well, I did mess up more often anyway. I was the one with WORSE executive function, but she got help while I got none.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 9:26 am

They're merging (and have already merged in the US and a few other countries) HFA and AS into one diagnosis, just how long are people on this site going to cling to this idea that they're separate things? f*****g hell.

Quote:
For example, once I was in a class that had a classic HFA kid in it (she told us). I found that the teacher was more tolerant of her while I (the undiagnosed Asperger's kid) got yelled at more often for messing up. Well, I did mess up more often anyway. I was the one with WORSE executive function, but she got help while I got none.

That's diagnosed vs undiagnosed.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 11:45 am

iliketrees wrote:
They're merging (and have already merged in the US and a few other countries) HFA and AS into one diagnosis, just how long are people on this site going to cling to this idea that they're separate things? f*****g hell.

Quote:

That's diagnosed vs undiagnosed.

Point is, HFA is/was more likely to be diagnosed, and therefore HFAs are more likely to get help than Asperger's.

I was rather rushed when I wrote that post, so sorry for not being clear.