Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AmryAnn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2017, 7:46 am

So I just started back to school this year. Im earning my Master's in chemistry.

Typically when I get stressed out, I stim. The problem is, I pick my skin. Before school, my skin was perfectly clear and now im struggling to keep my hands off of any bump. Im extra sensitive to itchy feelings and the mild pain you get in your skin when a pimple is forming.

Has anyone had success in finding a more productive but equally satisfying stim than picking at your skin?

So far, the best thing ive found is to wear yoga gloves and rub the bumpy side on my face in place of face picking. It works well, but I only have one pair. And I dont want to be rubbing super dirty things on my face. Is it too crazy to go out and buy 7 pairs of yoga gloves to solve this problem?
Thanks.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Mar 2017, 1:10 pm

I too pick my skin a bit.

I've mostly converted the huge array of other stims into just an unstoppable fury of leg shaking, and it seems to blend in, I mean one physics lesson at least four other people we're engaged in the act of leg shaking, one taking it to the next level by using both legs!

It can be quite nice too alleviate stress, but one word of warning - Never rest your arm on your leg while doing so, some people suspect you of doing other things then.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

AmryAnn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2017, 7:08 am

Haha. Warning noted :)

Farunel
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2017, 9:40 pm

Oh god, I never really thought of it as a stimming thing. I thought I might have dermatillomania, considering I have always had an obsession with picking and biting at my skin if there are any ridges, bumps, or anything other than smooth. It's probably just the autism though. As far as things to do in school for stimming, I've started sketching. I let all my instructors know exactly why I sketch during lectures, and it has been the very best way for me to keep my hands busy and avoid eye-contact while still paying attention, and not being a nuisance.

I am a Graphic Design major, but I would still suggest sketching, even if you aren't drawing anything resembling... anything. It keeps the hands busy, and if it happens to improve your drawing skills over time, I'd say that is just another perk. I would suggest a pen/pencil and a small sketchbook. Doesn't really need to be more than a 3.5x5inch booklet.

AmryAnn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2017, 11:11 am

That is a very good idea. I do sketch sometimes, when note taking isnt really useful. I usually do it during study and driving, but I hardly did it at all before school.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2017, 4:29 pm

AmryAnn wrote:
That is a very good idea. I do sketch sometimes, when note taking isnt really useful. I usually do it during study and driving, but I hardly did it at all before school.

Sketching while driving, that sounds like some rather impressive multitasking!

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php