Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:29 pm

She is an advocate for autism and is a transgender acceptance and safety on her website Proud Autistic Living, she also happens to identify with both.

Autism Awareness Week takes place from 27 March until 2 April in 2017. To help raise awareness for the condition and what it’s like for people who suffer from it, we chatted with Rochelle to find out more about what her life has been like.
What’s has it really been like growing up with autism?

I was diagnosed officially in 2013, though I had begun to suspect I was autistic earlier than this, around 2009 I think.

I had two Autistic daughters and went through that period of wondering about my own actions and thoughts through the filter. Much of what they did made perfect sense to me but was out of kilter with what the ‘norm’ is supposed to be.

My life has been impacted by autism in almost every way. It is the way I am wired, and so the way I think, feel, act, respond, write, everything is done through an autistic filter.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/28/world-aut ... z4cduPj2mL

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:49 pm

As someone who has Aspergic traits/may be on the spectrum and in the past was diagnosed with schizophrenia with disorder of gender identity the whole autism/schizophrenia/gender dysphoria thing is of interest.

I do wonder given how my transsexual desires have softened over the years whether it was (a)a delusional obsession that lessened as I became less acutely ill (b) an autistic 'interest' that has faded over time (c) a psychologically self protective mechanism and realistic appraisal that given my difficulties transition was something that was extremely unlikely to be given the go ahead.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 10:42 am

There is a proven link between being transgender and being on the spectrum.

I think gender dysphoria should be more commonly discussed in the context of autism- my mother just doesn't understand the deepseated gender issues I've had since childhood. She claims I'm just doing it to be edgy. I'm not. My body may be female, but my brain is male.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:07 pm

I don't understand the problem, with discussing it, biologically, and in respect to a certain scene or worldview. You know what you are made of, and how different cultures respond to that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:40 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
There is a proven link between being transgender and being on the spectrum.

According to whom?

Autism is a neurological disorder disability - transgenderism is not.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 1:58 pm

Possibly, like being ambidextrous.

Maybe, people are less limited in their self-expression, when there is no firm, emotional attachment, to one routine or another.

That being said, if it is an abstraction, it can be discussed, abstractly, in a free marketplace of ideas, imhblo.

Quote:
My body may be female, but my brain is male.

I find that gay people are not very good at imitating the opposite, biological sex. It usually comes across as stereotypical, over-the-top mannerisms, on either side.

Can you explain what male-ness means to you?