Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

laurasd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 10:12 am

The usual stereotype is that us Aspies are all athiests. I know that is, of course, just a stereotype; I myself, am Pagan. Are there any other Aspies out there who are of faith ? Not necessarily Pagan, just religious in any belief.

MadZat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2017, 11:58 am

I have offended many church goers over the years but I was really just curious about many things. I even offended a buddhist by asking “so I became a human because I was a righteous rat in my past life?“ (yes, buddhists get pissed too).
Today I understand that there are many different reasons why people are religious. I even let my daughter be baptised. Still I'm an atheist though.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm

Always had an uneasy relationship with religion. I respect my parent's decision to allow me and my siblings the freedom to choose or not choose anything, e.g. none of us were baptised, but I do find some redeeming qualities and (slight!) envy of the interconnectedness and community demonstrated by organised religion. One of my largest ever obsessions, a hobby that pretty much consumed my teenage years was spent utterly fascinated by alternative religion, philosophies, debates and the paranormal. It exposed me to so many paths of thought I realised I could never be comfortable identifying under a single faith. By my twenties my personal belief system continued to steadily lean towards atheism in no small part due to my strong background in science, but before that I actually considered myself Wiccan, and used to make a terrible nuisance of myself on an old forum being one. :D
I suppose, not to hijack political terminology, I consider myself today as centrally agnostic with strong atheist leanings.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 4:52 pm

I am a Roman Catholic, but attending Mass every Sunday is like being in high school all over again.

So many cliques! :x

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2017, 4:53 pm

I'm ethnically and religiously Jewish.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 5:54 pm

I believe my being an Aspie has helped me distinguish between spirituality and religion, and that includes distinguishing between spirituality and spiritualism.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 6:18 pm

I used to self-identify as atheist. Been a four-time-atheist this earth-life. I do not adhere to any named nor known nor traditional religions. Also, the reality is that there are NO «true» atheists, for everybody on earth essentially worships the the religious-order that pretends to be a secular-institution, that cult being known as government.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 9:29 pm

I used to be a Mormon until last August when I became an atheist.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 9:43 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
I used to self-identify as atheist. Been a four-time-atheist this earth-life. I do not adhere to any named nor known nor traditional religions. Also, the reality is that there are NO «true» atheists, for everybody on earth essentially worships the the religious-order that pretends to be a secular-institution, that cult being known as government.

Don't tell me you are one of those people who believes that laws and taxes are bad... Laws are what hold the carefully built structure of society together that allows intricate and complex things things like the economy and capitalism to exist, and taxes fund the whole operation because holding together a nation and keeping it working as a single entity isn't an easy task. Accepting that is not worship, and if you don't want that then feel free to go live on a desert island or something. Also, there isn't just a single generic "government", there are hundreds of independent governments around the world of various sizes from superpowers to small nations and I don't know if you have noticed but they regularly don't get along.

Deviant Art

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 9:50 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
Laws are what hold the carefully built structure of society together...

...if you don't want that then feel free to go live on a desert island or something.

That sounds to me just like religion: Believe what we believe and do what we do or leave!

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 10:44 pm

leejosepho wrote:
mikeman7918 wrote:

...if you don't want that then feel free to go live on a desert island or something.

That sounds to me just like religion: Believe what we believe and do what we do or leave!

Then please tell me how you think society should be run. Should we just let people do whatever they want including murder and theft? Also, I was saying that if he doesn't want to be surrounded by people who don't think that the rules that hold society together are not the root of all evil then he should live on a desert island because abolishing government is something that's probably never going to happen and if it does then I don't want to be around for it. On a desert island there are no laws and he wouldn't have to deal with government or people who want to live in an actual well organized society. That is very different then saying that he should "Believe what we believe and do what we do or leave!".

Also, religion is defined as "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods", so in what way am I worshiping a superhuman controlling power if all I'm doing is pointing out that governments provide a necessary service? I don't see them as inflatable or anything, in fact I'll be the first to admit that politics is a complete mess most of the time and that large media companies can't be trusted any further then they can be thrown. I also consider supermarkets a necessary service and think that those who don't want to deal with them can feel free to grow their own food instead, so does that mean I am a member of the church of Wall Mart now?

Deviant Art

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:09 am

I am just a Christian.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 2:54 am

leejosepho wrote:
I believe my being an Aspie has helped me distinguish between spirituality and religion, and that includes distinguishing between spirituality and spiritualism.

I relate to this. I'm still officially RC, I think it helped me to understand spirituality and recognise the common themes in most religions. The hypocrisy became too much for me though.

I prefer to think through moral/ethical scenarios and use my decisions as a guide.

Also mikeman... This isn't PPR, and your approach might put people off from posting in this thread.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 2:57 am

Amity wrote:
Also mikeman... This isn't PPR, and your approach might put people off from posting in this thread.

OK, sorry.

Deviant Art

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 6:35 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
mikeman7918 wrote:

Then please tell me how you think society should be run...

I was not getting into all of that, and I am not in any way suggesting you are wrong. My point is simply that everyone "worships" one or more things in one way or another...
Quote:
worship, verb transitive (Webster)
1. To adore; to pay divine honors to; to reverence with supreme respect and veneration.
2. To respect; to honor; to treat with civil reverence.
3. To honor with extravagant love and extreme submission; as a lover.

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2017, 8:51 am

Pretty checkered history. I was brought up a Pentecostal, rejected that on a naïve basis (I parroted what my friend said rather than thinking things through on my own), dabbled a little in more mainstream Protestantism and now I find myself sliding towards agnosticism. Theodicy is the unsurmountable hurdle, I simply can't reconcile - at a personal level, the cocktail of chronic illnesses I suffer from, and at the bigger level the existence of suffering - things within the framework or Christianity. But I may give "secular" theodicy a go.