Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Bridge84
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2017, 12:37 pm

I'm trying to work out if I might be on the spectrum. Does anyone experience things like this/ have experienced :

As a child totally terrified of loud noises, screaming and crying at balloons, fireworks, cap guns, hand dryers, motorbikes, loud 'banging' engines. It was so embarrassing when I was young, I couldnt control my reactions and so many times all the balloons had to b removed from parties as I was so distressed. I hated being like that. I used to worry that in science there might be experiments with loud noises and read through the whole text book to try to work out when those lessons would be and avoid going.

As an adult still all of the above but just have to experience a kind of extreme internal anxiety and stress around those things but just hide it. If I'm with my friends though I will just put my hands over my ears, they know my quirk lol or I can cope with balloons and fireworks if I've had a few drinks and feel relaxed, or it helps if there is loud background noise and not too sharp accoustics.

Things like the above cause what feels like actual pain in the head and face.

I have strange visual stuff that I don't really tell anyone. I can't look at escelator patterns, it makes me feel dizzy and sick and sone lined patterns kind of go hazy/wobbly and I can't look at them. Also sometimes (this is weird) peoples faces are a bit distorted, like offset eyes, one lower than the other on peoples faces.

I have a super strong sense of smell, get really queezy, and can smell even the tiniest bad smell particle lol

So my questions are, does anyone get the above?
Does this sound like someone on the spectrum?
Could I be NT but with sensory issues?

I've had extreme anxiety my whole life, with most likely depression, and just recently started wondering if maybe I am on the spectrum and that's why I seem to find regular things really hard to manage.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:19 am

First of all, getbrid of the idea of " NT with sensory issues" because that contradicts itself. If you have sensory issues, you are not NT.

What you kight be looking for is Sensory Processing Disorder which many many many MANY people on the spectrum aphave and is usually included in the diagnoses process anyways.

Its improtant though to focous in your issues first before worrying about a diagnoses.

Dont worry about what others think if you need to plug your ears or cover your eyes or take a moment when you become overstimulated. Its OK to be sensitive. I cover my ears in movie theaters and it makes the experience enjoyable again. I remember being in school and teachers told me to stop covering my ears during a fire drill which looking back was very very cruel. It would ruin my whole day because it would cause me to overstimulate.

Do what you need to do man!

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

svaughan
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2017, 5:40 am

I would say having sensory issues would put you on the spectrum, though I'm not an expert. Mine are certain noises and certain foods mostly. I'm a lot lot better with food now, though Broccoli and other Veg still tastes a bit bitter to me.