Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 1:25 pm

There was a time we ate at a table in Denny's and my sister brought up how she thought Donald Trump was an idiot and also brought up Bernie Sanders. My dad's responses shocked me. It's not really the first time he made a shocking statement. I would've been less shocked about it if he didn't say it out of anger. I'm glad I didn't have a meltdown in there, I tried to raise my opinion, but I got shut down. My sister and dad are still decent in their interactions day-to-day, but it's still a concern. I should mention that my sister is in college, where students tend to be pretty liberal/progressive.

And yes, I don't think Trump's an idiot either, but I found that I needed to "defend" her opinion even if I didn't think she was right. I don't know if I'm the only person with this experience.

What do I do? Should I just sit back?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 1:28 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
There was a time we ate at a table in Denny's and my sister brought up how she thought Donald Trump was an idiot and also brought up Bernie Sanders. My dad's responses shocked me. It's not really the first time he made a shocking statement. I would've been less shocked about it if he didn't say it out of anger. I'm glad I didn't have a meltdown in there, I tried to raise my opinion, but I got shut down. My sister and dad are still decent in their interactions day-to-day, but it's still a concern. I should mention that my sister is in college, where students tend to be pretty liberal/progressive.

And yes, I don't think Trump's an idiot either, but I found that I needed to "defend" her opinion even if I didn't think she was right. I don't know if I'm the only person with this experience.

What do I do? Should I just sit back?
you could start by providing what they actually said if you want non-rhetorical/non-sarcastic advice

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 2:44 pm

Well, my dad actually said to her "I'm sorry, I thought I raised my daughter to be a decent human being. "

Mom tends to be a little more "gentle". But I wonder, is this type of conflict normal?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 2:57 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Well, my dad actually said to her "I'm sorry, I thought I raised my daughter to be a decent human being. "

Mom tends to be a little more "gentle". But I wonder, is this type of conflict normal?

Harsh thing to say to your kid!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 3:11 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

My Dad and my sister have had issues too. But they've got through it. It's painful to watch when 2 people you care about fall out, but they can work through it. They have differing ideological opinions too. She'd be upset with me if I discuss it further.

Try not to worry too much. They still care about each other. There comes a point when kids leave the nest and become who they are. Often they become different to the way their parents expected, but both sides slowly learn to adapt and can grow closer in the process.

At least he said sorry. To my knowledge my Dad hasn't apologised for what he said. It was similar and he just saw it as a statement of fact. He may have apologised, I don't know.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 9:36 pm

He implied she wasn't a decent human being, but he did not say she was not his daughter or that he was cutting her out of his Will, which is usually what "disowned" means.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 4:53 pm

Well anyone that puts 100% faith in a candidate they don't know that well is probably is not being all that smart. This is the level of politics today.

To a certain extent both your sister an your dad probably aren't very independent minded.

The US electorate had a s**t sandwich no mater which candidate they chose. Both Hilary Clinton and Trump illustrated different facets the problem with US politics, and why you don't get the best candidates as it it massively expensive to run for office. Mainly they are either easily bought or they need to be massively rich. This doesn't lend itself to the best candidates.