Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2017, 6:36 pm

How was your high school experience? Did you survive public high school? Or did you drop out, found an alternative or were home schooled?

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 7:41 pm

Loved it. I went from a public middle school to a private high school because my dad teaches there, and almost everybody was so friendly. I had a group of friends for the only time in my life. College is crap compared to high school.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 1:24 pm

I'm currently in high school. And it's ok I guess. But when I hear that kids go get drunk or go partying. I think that's stupid and never understood why it's so fun to them. Too me it's more fun having friends together and watching movies or playing games. At least to me it is. But that's the negative thing I have about school.

gilagiraffe
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2017, 6:17 pm

Currently in highschool. Not the greatest but it's okay. Either way I'm excited to get out, but I'm still enjoying what freedom I still have before I have to go to work.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 8:03 pm

I am in highschool and it's okay.

thegirlnextdoor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2017, 1:32 pm

I am currently a freshman in high school. I have mild autism and pass as neurotypical to most. I am in General Ed classes Making new friends has been somewhat hard, but I am trying hard. However, I have had issues with one teacher. She treats all students with accommodations unfairly and makes it harder on them. Other than that, high school is going well for me.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 2:06 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
Loved it. I went from a public middle school to a private high school because my dad teaches there, and almost everybody was so friendly. I had a group of friends for the only time in my life. College is crap compared to high school.

maybe it was the fact your dad was there and the school was private, but it's curious to read a viewpoint like this, because from what i have read in similar topics in the past...the consensus seems to be the total opposite. many view college as better due to more individual freedom and options, and i'm one of those.

maybe it's because it was free? :skull:

i went into my graduation in june 2015, embittered and hoping i never had to see any one of those pathetic bastard's faces again...the truth is that while my senior year ended up being rather okay in the end, my resentment left over from the awful junior year still lurked. in that time i began to see duinkerken and i didn't like it, was brought into the light (relatively) kicking and screaming, as i lost the last vestiges of that which made my freshman and sophomore years so euphoric, the trance i was in back then was revealed to be a toxic one and i begged to go back.

(yeah....i am a lot less bitter about all that now, lol. back then i was blind to the fact that mostly everyone else was just as anxious, as scared and often, as lonely as i was. had i realized that then, and had i not compared myself to others as much and attempted to "compete" with them out of envy, perhaps i would not have been the metaphorical powder keg, ready to blow at any second. )

i never did go back, fortunately. in my final months of HS i met two people who are still very dear to me. i am dating one of them, two years this month. the other one...she knows who she is. i like to separate my life into major "phases" and i am currently in the phase that began in those twilight HS months.

got mediocre grades. didn't care about the subject matter, but they got better as i neared the end.

she was a freshman when i started dating her as a senior. when she graduates in 2018, i will finally never have to set foot there again. :heart:

Corny wrote:
I'm currently in high school. And it's ok I guess. But when I hear that kids go get drunk or go partying. I think that's stupid and never understood why it's so fun to them. Too me it's more fun having friends together and watching movies or playing games. At least to me it is. But that's the negative thing I have about school.

it's cool that you are taking it well. i agree that "having friends together and watching movies or playing games" is fun, i did not have the opportunity to do that much, but no regrets there.

perhaps those other kids you mention do that too, but like to drink on top of it. to each their own, they say...perhaps those two are not so different after all.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Bre2000
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2017, 5:30 am

Currently in highschool. Have not been able to make any friends. Ever ! Love school but don't get people.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 6:31 pm

I attended a public alternative school for my HS years and graduated in 2008.

The experience was very rocky and at various points, tense but normal. The faculty went by their first names, everyone knew each other, but it was no different from a public high school that I could have ended up at as a student.

Like a few other students, I was a misfit who was sometimes viewed by a pair of teachers as an easy target for ostracizing and intimidation.

The counselor helped me fit in which to him I am still grateful about.