Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 11:53 pm

The Whitehouse will never seem so white to me again, because the principles of public service that it represents are so compromised now. Trump is so unpredictable and opportunistic that no-one can know where he might take any policy on AS.

The anti-vaxxers are trying to scare people here with their nonsense and it has flared up again in recent weeks. I despise their main message (vaccines cause the "terrible disease of autism") and their distortions of what it is.

Anti-Vaxxers Are Furious With Sesame Street "Normalizing" Autism
https://thedailybanter.com/2017/04/a-po ... i-vaxxers/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:44 pm

People need to understand where this vaccine injuries cause autism mentality can lead to. They do not think autistic people are people but mutants, part of a intentionally caused horrific childhood epidemic. Let's hypothosize that the anti vaxxers win over public opinion, and after the last two years you are naive if you think it can not happen.

There will be pandemics of preventable diseases.

Anti vaxxers do not believe adult autistics exist. If we are not thought to exist we go back to the 1960's or 1970's where our problems are considered unequivically charactor flaws. In some ways this would be worse then back then because of more fear of difference in our post Columbine, post 9/11 world.

But bieng ignored would be better then the fate of autistic children in an anti vaxxer world. If autistic children are thought of as horrific mutations intentionally caused then "any means necessary" to get rid the autism or autistics will be thought of as ethical. These days of 25 to 40 hours a week ABA will be looked back on as the good old days.

Because Trump leans anti vaxxer do not for a minute think anti vaxxer or fearing autistics is a wholly "conservative" or "redneck" thing. The lowest vaccination rates are often in liberal wealthy places like Marin County, California. Robert Kennedy Jr. is not a conservative. The Judge Rotenberg Center is located in Massachusetts and most of its prisoners are poor minority NYC kids because NYC under its oh so progressive mayor pays them 30 million a year.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:27 pm

Yes, misguided and irrational fanatics can do a lot of serious damage, especially when thrown a bone and a nod from those in power. The AVs are driven primarily by their fear and hatred of autism, and they are the main stigmatisers of AS now, having surpassed Autism Speaks at spreading fears and myths about ASD conditions and people on the spectrum.