Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 2:34 am

President Donald J. Trump Proclaims April 2, 2017 as World Autism Awareness Day - White House blog

WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY, 2017

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

On World Autism Awareness Day, we highlight the importance of addressing the causes and improving the treatments for autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). We also recognize the importance of identifying ASDs early in a child's life and of understanding the obstacles faced by people living on the autism spectrum. Together, we celebrate the many ways individuals with ASDs enhance our daily lives and make priceless contributions to our schools, workplaces, and communities.

Autism spectrum disorders affect an estimated one out of every 68 children in America. Individuals and families living with autism come from diverse backgrounds. These families face enormous challenges in assisting their loved ones over the course of their lifetimes. As those with ASDs reach early adulthood, families are often faced with even greater obstacles than during childhood, including planning for the successful transition into adulthood and independent life.

We are hopeful that our Nation's efforts will result in significant advancements related to autism diagnosis and treatments in the months and years ahead. Ongoing efforts to scan the human genome carry significant potential to better manage the disorder and, ultimately, find a cure, My Administration will continue to work with the Congress to implement the 21st Century Cures Act and help to clear the way for breakthroughs in medical science. Together, we will turn scientific discoveries into real solutions for people with complex health issues like autism.

Cutting edge therapies and lifelong treatments can impose enormous burdens and expenses on the families of people with autism spectrum disorders. I applaud the efforts by Members of Congress to enact tax-free savings vehicles for families of people with disabilities and ASDs. I also encourage the ongoing public-private efforts to develop new technologies to prevent wandering and keep individuals with ASDs safe.

For generations, men and women living on the autism spectrum have made extraordinary contributions in the fields of science, technology, art, literature, business, politics, and many other professions. Yet the world still has a great deal to learn about ASDs. We must continue our research to improve early identification and intervention, strengthen our comprehension of the disorder, and open opportunities for every member of our society to live independently and live the American Dream. My Administration is committed to promoting greater knowledge of ASDs and encouraging innovation that will lead to new treatments and cures for autism.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim Sunday, April 2, 2017, as World Autism Awareness Day. I invite all Americans to Light it Up Blue, which Melania and I will do at the White House. I call upon all Americans to learn more about the signs of autism to improve early diagnosis, understand the challenges faced by those with autism spectrum disorders, and to do what they can to support individuals with autism spectrum disorders and their families.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
thirty-first day of March, in the year of our Lord two thousand seventeen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first.

DONALD J. TRUMP[/quote]

Bolding is mine.

The President is now officially "pro cure" a position Autism Speaks does not take officially anymore.

He proclaims we have been making wonderful contributions "for generations" yet he told a principle of a special education school a few weeks ago the "tremendous increase" in autism is a "horrible thing to watch" and wants a cure. Incompatable.

White House to shine a blue light on Trump’s anti-vaxxer beliefs The President’s World Autism Day commemoration has suspicious roots.

Quote:
Spicer also noted that the idea to observe World Autism Day came from Bob Wright, a “long-time friend of the president.” Wright, and his late wife Suzanne, founded the organization Autism Speaks, which has become one of the largest advocacy organizations for autism. Unfortunately, Autism Speaks has also contributed to the myth that vaccines are a cause of autism.
In 2009, Autism Speaks’ executive vice president of communications and awareness, Alison Singer, resigned in protest of the organization’s openness to the belief that vaccines could cause autism and that “more studies should be done.” She went on to found the Autism Science Foundation, which prominently proclaims the safety and importance of vaccines.

Wright himself continues to prop up this myth. He wrote in his 2016 book that he tried to convince the Bush and Obama administrations to invest more in vaccine safety. In an interview with Today after the book came out, Wright said that “there is no definitive answer” to whether vaccines cause autism. “We have not been able to determine that autism is caused by vaccines,” he said. “However, there are lots of issues having to do with the vaccine safety program that I got into very deeply, with no agenda, early on in autism.”

It’s unclear if Wright is the source of Trump’s belief in the myth.

There is some evidence that Trump has helped reinvigorate the anti-vaxxer movement. On Friday, those who reject the science behind vaccines held a “revolution for truth” in Washington, D.C., a march and rally that includes Kennedy, Trump’s anti-vaxxer in residence, as a speaker.

Thinking we are some sort of vaccine caused mutants is also incompatible with us making wonderful contributions for generations.

"For generations, men and women living on the autism spectrum have made extraordinary contributions in the fields of science, technology, art, literature, business, politics, and many other professions.". This is the most egregious example of a left handed compliment I have heard in my life.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 12:19 am

ASAN Condemns White House Autism Proclamation

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 10:19 pm

I am not so sure I like the idea of a "genetic cure". I am an Aspie and their are times when I think being as Aspie is on the threshold of the next evolutionary advance of the human species. I surely do not wish to be "cured" of my condition. Some of the people on the Spectrum are movers for human progress....

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 11:05 pm

Quote:
"...prevent wandering and keep individuals with ASDs safe.

"...innovation that will lead to new treatments and cures..."

Interpretation: High fences, more drugs and neuro-manipulation.

Nope, not interested!

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 9:45 am

normally I find Nazi comparisons to be cliché and overblown, but endorsing the removal of a group of people from the gene pool because you think them to be inferior, sounds pretty similar to eugenicism.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm

Not excusing Trump, but to be fair, ASAN is an unapologetically hard-left organization.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 10:41 am

... Oh geez he should just stop x-x Really now.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 5:05 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
Not excusing Trump, but to be fair, ASAN is an unapologetically hard-left organization.

How is ASAN hard left?

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2017, 1:00 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
No it is not fair , it's actually both a genetic fallacy , and an ad hominem . Plus , incidentally , since I am myself rather " hard left" in my ideology , if true this only raises my esteem for ASAN even more .

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 11:40 am

That makes me want to puke it up blue in swastikas.

finn_simba
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2017, 2:16 am

It is always a good idea to know more about autism as 80 % of persons with high function autism/Asperger's is unemployed. If we can get more information about the gene behind autism, we could help more people and get more people into work. It will also provide a target for drugs that may enhance the social skill, and it will also provide information about the best therapy that can be used. In the long run, we can use gene therapy to correct gene that causes autism in such a manner that you keep the benefits with Asperger but removed the downside.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 2:45 am

Ha ha ha ha, cause I bet they care so much like adults with aspergers like me....ha ha ha, with that healthcare plan they tried to get through I have a really hard time believing the U.S government cares about people like me getting reasonable health coverage....I mean first off I am a woman, that bill was especially specific about putting sever limints on womans healthcare, but than I have aspergers and other issues on disability. how does the current government care exactly?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 5:27 am

finn_simba wrote:
It is always a good idea to know more about autism as 80 % of persons with high function autism/Asperger's is unemployed. If we can get more information about the gene behind autism, we could help more people and get more people into work. It will also provide a target for drugs that may enhance the social skill, and it will also provide information about the best therapy that can be used. In the long run, we can use gene therapy to correct gene that causes autism in such a manner that you keep the benefits with Asperger but removed the downside.

I am a lot more cynical/paranoid then you. I expect it to be used in part to prevent autistics from bieng born and to attempt to make autistics not autistic, another words eugenics. It will not be called eugenics but evidence based humane treatments.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:42 am

a genetic cure, especially pre-natal is akin to eugenics.
One can argue about whether eliminating autism and it's ilk in that way is a good thing (which i'm not trying to start in this thread), but the method that seems to come from this statement can not be, eugenics is not something that a president should be advocating.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

25 May 2017, 4:20 am

I dont have a problem with this, maybe some "cures" would be made for the deficit syptoms while keeping the special abilities...I like this.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 11:53 pm

The Whitehouse will never seem so white to me again, because the principles of public service that it represents are so compromised now. Trump is so unpredictable and opportunistic that no-one can know where he might take any policy on AS.

The anti-vaxxers are trying to scare people here with their nonsense and it has flared up again in recent weeks. I despise their main message (vaccines cause the "terrible disease of autism") and their distortions of what it is.

Anti-Vaxxers Are Furious With Sesame Street "Normalizing" Autism
https://thedailybanter.com/2017/04/a-po ... i-vaxxers/