[Poll] Do you LIKE being referred to as Mental Ill ? DO YA!?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you LIKE being called Mentally Ill ?
Proud of it 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Hate it (I find it derogatory) 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
Indifferent 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
Other 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 24

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 6:17 am

I personally find it to be extremely insulting/derogatory; non-conformity is not a mental-deficiency.

Seriously, I am the one who speaks multiple languages, I am the one who does my own in-depth research, I am the one who knows how to create my own web-sites and code directly in HTML/CSS/etc, I am the one who had scored 140 on an IQ-test that I took over 15 years ago, I am the one who actually FIELD-TESTS everyone's claims in the REAL-WORLD instead of relying solely on book-learned knowledge, etc.

Yet these clowns in the court-systems are trying to claim and insist that I am the one with a mental-illness, when THEY are the ones who violated MY rights, when THEY are the ones who PERJURED their Oath of Office (most of whom do not even have one by the way even though it is required of them in their very own state statutes), when THEY are the ones who are trying to charge me for trespassing in an ABANDONED building, when THEY are the ones who are trying to call me a thief when the coins on the floor WERE OBSTRUCTING MY EFFORTS at trying to VACUUM the carpet, and THEY are the ones who set a 5000$US bond over a matter of $5.71 that THEY took out of the house due to compelling and coercing me to step outside before BADGERING me for purposes of taking my answers OUT-OF-CONTEXT in order to KIDNAP me and VIOLATE MY RIGHTS, when THEY are the ones who HELD ME HOSTAGE for a FULL WEEK without trial (which is in violation of two different sections of the U.S. Constitution) which caused a bunch of my food to spoil and fruit-flies to spawn at my apartment, then holding me HOSTAGE yet again for a FULL MONTH for refusing to take a psych-evaluation from someone whose reputation continued to receive reviews of very questionable behaviour for more than five years in a row, denying my first Writ of Habeas Corpus for an UNLAWFUL reason (i.e.: due to being part of a Bill of Attainder), then IGNORING all three subsequent Writs of Certioari/Mandamus/Habeas Corpus (I gave a dozen reasons as to why it was unlawful for them to hold me hostage in the subsequent ones unlike the first Writ where I kept the reasons to a minimum), the last writ of which I had signed from EVERY member of my cell-block.

In case anybody doesn't know about the 24-hour rule it's somewhere amongst the thousands and thousands upon thousands and thousands of lines of codes/legislation/statutes/ordinances/regulations, both state and federal, but I will need more time to dig it up out of the Federal Regulations (generally from the U.S. Code) to link its reference.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 6:25 am

I don't really care.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 6:02 am

BettaPonic wrote:
I don't really care.

You must care a bit or you wouldn't have posted.

Anyway, Ban-Dodger, you are confusing intelligence with mental illness. It is possible to be both at the same time. I am mentally ill and I like the label. It has meant that I have been helped by people who I did not know would be able to help me.

As I think you realize, the law and writs you cite do not do you much good in the face of authority's treatment of you. I think your interpretation of their behaviour may be clouded by your thinking. And yes I am suggesting that you may need help.

I agree with you that a lot of the mental health profession are idiots. Research into mental illness is only now beginning to be effective. Just in my lifetime I have gone from having to suck it up to taking medication that actually helps. My point is, even if the help is flawed, at least it's help. I suggest you go through the motions with the health care workers. If nothing else, you will be participating which is huge in the neurotypical world.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 6:10 am

androbot01 wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
I don't really care.

You must care a bit or you wouldn't have posted.

Anyway, Ban-Dodger, you are confusing intelligence with mental illness. It is possible to be both at the same time. I am mentally ill and I like the label. It has meant that I have been helped by people who I did not know would be able to help me.

As I think you realize, the law and writs you cite do not do you much good in the face of authority's treatment of you. I think your interpretation of their behaviour may be clouded by your thinking. And yes I am suggesting that you may need help.

I agree with you that a lot of the mental health profession are idiots. Research into mental illness is only now beginning to be effective. Just in my lifetime I have gone from having to suck it up to taking medication that actually helps. My point is, even if the help is flawed, at least it's help. I suggest you go through the motions with the health care workers. If nothing else, you will be participating which is huge in the neurotypical world.

I am interested in the topic, but I do not care if people call me mentally ill. I am mentally ill.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 6:15 am

BettaPonic wrote:
I am interested in the topic, but I do not care if people call me mentally ill. I am mentally ill.

Me too. The problem is with others' association of shame with it. For such a long time mental illness has been linked with poor character. I think this is because it was not understood and society had to find some way to deal with the behaviour mental illness often leads to. So it was criminalized and demonized.

But we are in different times now.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 8:04 am

androbot01 wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

Me too. The problem is with others' association of shame with it. For such a long time mental illness has been linked with poor character. I think this is because it was not understood and society had to find some way to deal with the behaviour mental illness often leads to. So it was criminalized and demonized.

I think the reason I personally don't care is that a lot of the people I know are mentally ill. My Mom is bipolar. My best friend has a few learning disabilities (I know different). I attend a school that does a lot of special needs work. The mentally challenged kids there are really liked.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 10:13 am

androbot01 wrote:

Are we really? I have a feeling while it is politically incorrect to stigmatize the mentally ill people's attitudes inside have not changed all that much. so instead of saying it in public, they go online, so instead of saying ret*d, they say autistic. Back then there were generally nice people and super prejudiced people while most were in between, that has not changed

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Poirot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2017, 4:00 pm

I usually hear mental disorder and I have no real opinion on it. Besides, either get derogatory treatment from media sites, social activists, friends, fam, etc.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 4:04 pm

I don't like it but I don't hate it.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 3:29 pm

Welp....

If I was an Aspire, since Autism is a developmental disorder and not a mental illness, I would probably be less than thrilled. Though, the medical profession says most people with Autism have minimum anxiety and depression. Those are considered mental illnesses. It is what it is..

I have bipolar disorder. It's a mental illness. I have asthma. That a pulmonary disease. I view mental illness as just a way to group syndromes/disorders/diseases.

How the term "mental illness" is used, context and the way it is said is a bigger deal than the term just existing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 12:03 am

I have anxiety and that is a mental illness. I don't handle conflicts well or confrontations and getting mad at me just makes it worse for me and afraid of you when you get mad at me all the time. It also means I can't handle stress like a normal person and my brain exaggerates situations so it looks worse than it really is. I also get stressed out about things most people wouldn't get stressed out about but would probably get annoyed with but not stressed. It also means I get anxious when things don't go my way and when I am not in control of the situation. It also makes me appear lazy. So I am indifferent to the word mentally ill.

I don't see learning disabilities as a mental illness nor autism.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:15 pm

I think the non-conformity is more of a difference than a mental illness. In fact, we are far from mentally ill. Maybe Adam Lanza did have Asperger's, but he seemed to have something else going on. The other violent people diagnosed with AS were probably fraudulent. Even Adam's father denied or was skeptic about the AS diagnosis.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:36 pm

I am confused about what exactly happened...you certainly can get in trouble for trespassing in abandoned buildings, just because its abandoned doesn't mean no one owns it for purposes of tearing it down later or remodeling. So you got arrested for trespassing in an abandoned building?...what were you doing in there?

And I don't understand the vacuum thing, where were you vacuuming that people would have been around to accuse you of being a thief for picking up coins off the floor whilst vacuuming? And what were you arrested for? were they 'holding you hostage' in jail or a psych ward?

But yeah if there is any reason to believe you could be a danger to yourself or others, they can take you to a psychiatric ward even if you don't agree to have you evaluated. That actually is not illegal as far as I know...granted I am not sure why they thought the psych evaluation necessary, doesn't appear that is included in your post.

So yeah confusing post...but I suppose I don't really take offense if its implied I have mental illness, I have struggled with that and still do, just a fact of life doesn't do any good to get offended about it.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:45 pm

Probably not relevant, but the original post was made on April 1.....

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 2:21 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Probably not relevant, but the original post was made on April 1.....

didn't even notice that, it was on the top of the page so I figured it was a new thread.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 3:02 pm

i don't mind being called mentally ill. what i do mind is the non-fact-based opinion of many employers: we would rather hire a convicted felon than someone with mental illness.