President Donald J. Trump Proclaims April 2, 2017

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2014
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 126
Location: ISP will say

01 Apr 2017, 6:48 am

President Donald J. Trump Proclaims April 2, 2017 as World Autism Awareness Day

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... -awareness


WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY, 2017

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION


On World Autism Awareness Day, we highlight the importance of addressing the causes and improving the treatments for autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). We also recognize the importance of identifying ASDs early in a child's life and of understanding the obstacles faced by people living on the autism spectrum. Together, we celebrate the many ways individuals with ASDs enhance our daily lives and make priceless contributions to our schools, workplaces, and communities.

Autism spectrum disorders affect an estimated one out of every 68 children in America. Individuals and families living with autism come from diverse backgrounds. These families face enormous challenges in assisting their loved ones over the course of their lifetimes. As those with ASDs reach early adulthood, families are often faced with even greater obstacles than during childhood, including planning for the successful transition into adulthood and independent life.

We are hopeful that our Nation's efforts will result in significant advancements related to autism diagnosis and treatments in the months and years ahead. Ongoing efforts to scan the human genome carry significant potential to better manage the disorder and, ultimately, find a cure. My Administration will continue to work with the Congress to implement the 21st Century Cures Act and help to clear the way for breakthroughs in medical science. Together, we will turn scientific discoveries into real solutions for people with complex health issues like autism.

Cutting edge therapies and lifelong treatments can impose enormous burdens and expenses on the families of people with autism spectrum disorders. I applaud the efforts by Members of Congress to enact tax-free savings vehicles for families of people with disabilities and ASDs. I also encourage the ongoing public-private efforts to develop new technologies to prevent wandering and keep individuals with ASDs safe.

For generations, men and women living on the autism spectrum have made extraordinary contributions in the fields of science, technology, art, literature, business, politics, and many other professions. Yet the world still has a great deal to learn about ASDs. We must continue our research to improve early identification and intervention, strengthen our comprehension of the disorder, and open opportunities for every member of our society to live independently and live the American Dream. My Administration is committed to promoting greater knowledge of ASDs and encouraging innovation that will lead to new treatments and cures for autism.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim Sunday, April 2, 2017, as World Autism Awareness Day. I invite all Americans to Light it Up Blue, which Melania and I will do at the White House. I call upon all Americans to learn more about the signs of autism to improve early diagnosis, understand the challenges faced by those with autism spectrum disorders, and to do what they can to support individuals with autism spectrum disorders and their families.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
thirty-first day of March, in the year of our Lord two thousand seventeen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first.

DONALD J. TRUMP



Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,518
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

01 Apr 2017, 8:14 am

IMO, President Trump putting such extra effort into this, just further confirms what some of us have been thinking (myself, included), that his youngest son / child, Barron, has an ASD.












_________________
White female; age 56; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,941
Location: Long Island, New York

01 Apr 2017, 2:53 pm

My reaction is in this thread


_________________
How can Autism be trendy and a popular insult at the same time?

Recovering from tongue cancer and suspected Ramsey Hunt Syndrome (Ear Shingles), somewhat verbal.
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,740
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

01 Apr 2017, 4:50 pm

I like the overall tone of this statement, but am concerned about a couple of things:

Quote:
Ongoing efforts to scan the human genome carry significant potential to better manage the disorder and, ultimately, find a cure.


Quote:
I also encourage the ongoing public-private efforts to develop new technologies to prevent wandering and keep individuals with ASDs safe.


I don't like the idea of tracking devices for the disabled and the only cure that comes from genetic research is identification and then elimination.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,711

01 Apr 2017, 5:53 pm

Luckily he didn't declare this on April the 1st!!

But on a serious note his preoccupation with Autism/vaccines and stuff does hint this might have something to do with Barron Trump?



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,111
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

02 Apr 2017, 12:43 am

While I appreciate the spotlight on us who are on the spectrum, it still should be remembered that Trump is the guy who sells the bullsh*t theory that vaccinations lead to autism.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,510
Location: America

03 Apr 2017, 11:19 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
While I appreciate the spotlight on us who are on the spectrum, it still should be remembered that Trump is the guy who sells the bullsh*t theory that vaccinations lead to autism.


What I heard him say and it seemed like maybe he was reflecting on personal experience as a parent, was a vaccination cocktail being administered with a "horse syringe". But that he wasn't agaist vaccinations being administered in smaller doses over a certain period of time.

Edit: I think this is the clip I saw:



Also I think a tracking device should only be considered if there is a chance of someone getting lost. Like stories you see of autistic people or intellectually disabled people getting lost. Or someone with dementia or Alzheimer's or similar. Even still I don't quite like the idea.


_________________
Level 2 moderate/severe nonverbal autism.


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,111
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

03 Apr 2017, 12:11 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
While I appreciate the spotlight on us who are on the spectrum, it still should be remembered that Trump is the guy who sells the bullsh*t theory that vaccinations lead to autism.


What I heard him say and it seemed like maybe he was reflecting on personal experience as a parent, was a vaccination cocktail being administered with a "horse syringe". But that he wasn't agaist vaccinations being administered in smaller doses over a certain period of time.

Edit: I think this is the clip I saw:



Also I think a tracking device should only be considered if there is a chance of someone getting lost. Like stories you see of autistic people or intellectually disabled people getting lost. Or someone with dementia or Alzheimer's or similar. Even still I don't quite like the idea.


But I have a major problem even with the notion of autism arising out of multiple vaccinations being administered all at once, as there is zero evidence that's the case. We know that people prior to the age of vaccinations probably had had autism, so it's clearly not the vaccinations. My dad, who had been born in rural eastern Washington in 1921, which was a time and place removed from the old west by only a decade or two, had never been vaccinated for anything, but he almost certainly was an Aspie.
A friend had related a story to me about how a doctor recounted how he had been about to administer a vaccination to a little girl, when she suddenly had a seizure. He said, had he given the girl the shot just a minute before, there would have been nothing he could have said or done to convince the parents the vaccination had not caused the seizure. Just because babies who develop autism are given a cocktail of vaccinations doesn't mean the vaccinations are the cause. Just as, because all people who drink water eventually die doesn't mean drinking water causes death.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,510
Location: America

03 Apr 2017, 12:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
While I appreciate the spotlight on us who are on the spectrum, it still should be remembered that Trump is the guy who sells the bullsh*t theory that vaccinations lead to autism.


What I heard him say and it seemed like maybe he was reflecting on personal experience as a parent, was a vaccination cocktail being administered with a "horse syringe". But that he wasn't agaist vaccinations being administered in smaller doses over a certain period of time.

Edit: I think this is the clip I saw:



Also I think a tracking device should only be considered if there is a chance of someone getting lost. Like stories you see of autistic people or intellectually disabled people getting lost. Or someone with dementia or Alzheimer's or similar. Even still I don't quite like the idea.


But I have a major problem even with the notion of autism arising out of multiple vaccinations being administered all at once, as there is zero evidence that's the case. We know that people prior to the age of vaccinations probably had had autism, so it's clearly not the vaccinations. My dad, who had been born in rural eastern Washington in 1921, which was a time and place removed from the old west by only a decade or two, had never been vaccinated for anything, but he almost certainly was an Aspie.
A friend had related a story to me about how a doctor recounted how he had been about to administer a vaccination to a little girl, when she suddenly had a seizure. He said, had he given the girl the shot just a minute before, there would have been nothing he could have said or done to convince the parents the vaccination had not caused the seizure. Just because babies who develop autism are given a cocktail of vaccinations doesn't mean the vaccinations are the cause. Just as, because all people who drink water eventually die doesn't mean drinking water causes death.


I agree with you on that. But at least he wasn't saying vaccinations should be eliminated altogether.


_________________
Level 2 moderate/severe nonverbal autism.


AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,472
Location: Millcreek, Utah

03 Apr 2017, 12:27 pm

AutisticAdvocacy.org wrote:
ASAN Condemns White House Autism Proclamation
April 1, 2017

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network strongly condemns the President’s regressive World Autism Awareness Day proclamation, and the announcement that the White House will be participating in Autism Speaks’ “Light It Up Blue” campaign. After a decade of progress in which public conversations about autism have increasingly shifted away from tragedy and fear and towards acceptance and inclusion, the White House’s actions signal a disturbing attempt to drag autistic people back to the margins. ASAN will not let our community be forced back to the too-recent time when the public consensus was that autistic people should not exist....

https://autisticadvocacy.org/2017/04/as ... clamation/

Apart from ASAN's statement, it does make me ponder why President Trump has focused almost exclusively on the U.S. economy, foreign relations and increasing the military budget ... but, then uses his high-level influence to explore autism.


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,941
Location: Long Island, New York

04 Apr 2017, 4:00 am

AspieUtah wrote:
AutisticAdvocacy.org wrote:
ASAN Condemns White House Autism Proclamation
April 1, 2017

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network strongly condemns the President’s regressive World Autism Awareness Day proclamation, and the announcement that the White House will be participating in Autism Speaks’ “Light It Up Blue” campaign. After a decade of progress in which public conversations about autism have increasingly shifted away from tragedy and fear and towards acceptance and inclusion, the White House’s actions signal a disturbing attempt to drag autistic people back to the margins. ASAN will not let our community be forced back to the too-recent time when the public consensus was that autistic people should not exist....

https://autisticadvocacy.org/2017/04/as ... clamation/

Apart from ASAN's statement, it does make me ponder why President Trump has focused almost exclusively on the U.S. economy, foreign relations and increasing the military budget ... but, then uses his high-level influence to explore autism.


I do not care so much why he is focused on us but that he is and in a negative way. Like I said in the other thread he can say he values our contributions in his proclamations all he wants but when you combine his saying the supposed increase in autism is a horrible thing and suspects a cocktail of vaccines are why a we exist and supports curing us I have to conclude his goal is to get rid of us or keep us alive but eliminate who we we are. If you conclude autism is human produced and a "horrible thing" what you are saying we are not fully human but a mutant and not a mutant in a positive X-Men type of way.


_________________
How can Autism be trendy and a popular insult at the same time?

Recovering from tongue cancer and suspected Ramsey Hunt Syndrome (Ear Shingles), somewhat verbal.
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,111
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

04 Apr 2017, 10:21 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
AutisticAdvocacy.org wrote:
ASAN Condemns White House Autism Proclamation
April 1, 2017

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network strongly condemns the President’s regressive World Autism Awareness Day proclamation, and the announcement that the White House will be participating in Autism Speaks’ “Light It Up Blue” campaign. After a decade of progress in which public conversations about autism have increasingly shifted away from tragedy and fear and towards acceptance and inclusion, the White House’s actions signal a disturbing attempt to drag autistic people back to the margins. ASAN will not let our community be forced back to the too-recent time when the public consensus was that autistic people should not exist....

https://autisticadvocacy.org/2017/04/as ... clamation/

Apart from ASAN's statement, it does make me ponder why President Trump has focused almost exclusively on the U.S. economy, foreign relations and increasing the military budget ... but, then uses his high-level influence to explore autism.


I do not care so much why he is focused on us but that he is and in a negative way. Like I said in the other thread he can say he values our contributions in his proclamations all he wants but when you combine his saying the supposed increase in autism is a horrible thing and suspects a cocktail of vaccines are why a we exist and supports curing us I have to conclude his goal is to get rid of us or keep us alive but eliminate who we we are. If you conclude autism is human produced and a "horrible thing" what you are saying we are not fully human but a mutant and not a mutant in a positive X-Men type of way.


You mean... I'm not going to develop laser vision, or retractable metal claws?!?!?! 8O


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,941
Location: Long Island, New York

04 Apr 2017, 11:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
AutisticAdvocacy.org wrote:
ASAN Condemns White House Autism Proclamation
April 1, 2017

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network strongly condemns the President’s regressive World Autism Awareness Day proclamation, and the announcement that the White House will be participating in Autism Speaks’ “Light It Up Blue” campaign. After a decade of progress in which public conversations about autism have increasingly shifted away from tragedy and fear and towards acceptance and inclusion, the White House’s actions signal a disturbing attempt to drag autistic people back to the margins. ASAN will not let our community be forced back to the too-recent time when the public consensus was that autistic people should not exist....

https://autisticadvocacy.org/2017/04/as ... clamation/

Apart from ASAN's statement, it does make me ponder why President Trump has focused almost exclusively on the U.S. economy, foreign relations and increasing the military budget ... but, then uses his high-level influence to explore autism.


I do not care so much why he is focused on us but that he is and in a negative way. Like I said in the other thread he can say he values our contributions in his proclamations all he wants but when you combine his saying the supposed increase in autism is a horrible thing and suspects a cocktail of vaccines are why a we exist and supports curing us I have to conclude his goal is to get rid of us or keep us alive but eliminate who we we are. If you conclude autism is human produced and a "horrible thing" what you are saying we are not fully human but a mutant and not a mutant in a positive X-Men type of way.


You mean... I'm not going to develop laser vision, or retractable metal claws?!?!?! 8O


Yes you will when an autistic person with a special interest in X-Men figures out how.


_________________
How can Autism be trendy and a popular insult at the same time?

Recovering from tongue cancer and suspected Ramsey Hunt Syndrome (Ear Shingles), somewhat verbal.
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,111
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

04 Apr 2017, 6:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
AutisticAdvocacy.org wrote:
ASAN Condemns White House Autism Proclamation
April 1, 2017

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network strongly condemns the President’s regressive World Autism Awareness Day proclamation, and the announcement that the White House will be participating in Autism Speaks’ “Light It Up Blue” campaign. After a decade of progress in which public conversations about autism have increasingly shifted away from tragedy and fear and towards acceptance and inclusion, the White House’s actions signal a disturbing attempt to drag autistic people back to the margins. ASAN will not let our community be forced back to the too-recent time when the public consensus was that autistic people should not exist....

https://autisticadvocacy.org/2017/04/as ... clamation/

Apart from ASAN's statement, it does make me ponder why President Trump has focused almost exclusively on the U.S. economy, foreign relations and increasing the military budget ... but, then uses his high-level influence to explore autism.


I do not care so much why he is focused on us but that he is and in a negative way. Like I said in the other thread he can say he values our contributions in his proclamations all he wants but when you combine his saying the supposed increase in autism is a horrible thing and suspects a cocktail of vaccines are why a we exist and supports curing us I have to conclude his goal is to get rid of us or keep us alive but eliminate who we we are. If you conclude autism is human produced and a "horrible thing" what you are saying we are not fully human but a mutant and not a mutant in a positive X-Men type of way.


You mean... I'm not going to develop laser vision, or retractable metal claws?!?!?! 8O


Yes you will when an autistic person with a special interest in X-Men figures out how.


Sounds good to me! :thumleft:


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,709
Location: Houston, Texas

04 Jun 2017, 8:35 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
AutisticAdvocacy.org wrote:
ASAN Condemns White House Autism Proclamation
April 1, 2017

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network strongly condemns the President’s regressive World Autism Awareness Day proclamation, and the announcement that the White House will be participating in Autism Speaks’ “Light It Up Blue” campaign. After a decade of progress in which public conversations about autism have increasingly shifted away from tragedy and fear and towards acceptance and inclusion, the White House’s actions signal a disturbing attempt to drag autistic people back to the margins. ASAN will not let our community be forced back to the too-recent time when the public consensus was that autistic people should not exist....

https://autisticadvocacy.org/2017/04/as ... clamation/

Apart from ASAN's statement, it does make me ponder why President Trump has focused almost exclusively on the U.S. economy, foreign relations and increasing the military budget ... but, then uses his high-level influence to explore autism.


I do not care so much why he is focused on us but that he is and in a negative way. Like I said in the other thread he can say he values our contributions in his proclamations all he wants but when you combine his saying the supposed increase in autism is a horrible thing and suspects a cocktail of vaccines are why a we exist and supports curing us I have to conclude his goal is to get rid of us or keep us alive but eliminate who we we are. If you conclude autism is human produced and a "horrible thing" what you are saying we are not fully human but a mutant and not a mutant in a positive X-Men type of way.


You mean... I'm not going to develop laser vision, or retractable metal claws?!?!?! 8O


Aw man, I wanted laser *cannons*


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!