Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 9:25 am

https://www.statnews.com/2017/03/31/vaccine-skeptic-protest/

Quote:
Kennedy 'suggested autism “is a symptom of media malpractice.” He scoffed at scientists who say that a mild increase in autism rates is in large part due to increased awareness and expanded diagnostic criteria. “Missing one of these children is like missing a train wreck,” he said, questioning where all the adults with autism are.

The crowd loved it: At some points they cheered so loudly his words were drowned out"

The day of demonstrations followed an intense lobbying push on Thursday. Activists held 80 meetings on Capitol Hill, many of them with staffers for members of Congress, according to Irene Pi, an organizer from Arizona.

The activists organizing the “Revolution for Truth” also want Congress to repeal a Reagan-era law that had the effect of moving lawsuits over vaccine injuries out of the civil courts by setting up a separate compensation system. People can get compensation through that system if they’re able to meet strict requirements in showing a vaccine did, in fact, cause their injury. Activists oppose the system in large part because autism is not on the list of recognized injuries that can sometimes stem from vaccines.

Other key goals: Getting Trump to take vaccine safety out of the purview of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And nudging him to issue an executive order banning the government from purchasing vaccines that use the mercury-based preservative thimerosal. That preservative has never been in many key vaccines and was taken out of other childhood vaccines in 2001. Research shows it is not harmful in low doses.

The Kennedy name got them "in the door" to lobby congress so this is more important the your usual small rally.
The important thing is the amount of support or sympathy does this congress have for these views and if it is there is support how deep does it run.

I and others have critized "SJW's"for bieng offended by seemingly everything and "political correctness". One problem with this when everything becomes offensive actually offensive statements get ignored or dismissed as just another person whining. Saying or implying that all the autistic adults do not exist is a lot more than a microaggression, it is among the worst things you can say about people. Comparing autistic children to train wrecks is very offensive also.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2017, 3:34 pm

When the misinformed and ignorant gather in large crowds, they're very dangerous.

Liberals are perfectly capable of hyprocisy and hatred, much like conservatives.

Extremism in all its forms is the bane of civilized society.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 5:58 pm

Being a member of the Kennedy clan doesn't automatically make one a left winger

If I recall one of the Kennedy's married a republican "die hard" and former governor of Clifornia who's father was a former Nazi

Feeling_Unvalidated
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2017, 6:46 pm

Personally i think having people at the head of a movement that calls the victims trainwrecks is maybe an abrasive puppet that just makes everyone out there doesn't know the heart of the matter (that "anti-vaxxers" in many cases are simply against the preservative thimerosal and not vaccines) see the movement in an absurd light so that people who have seen the research on ethylmercury can continue to be gaslighted and dismissed.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 1:12 am

In your one day here so far, you have created a number of antivax threads and related comments. It sounds like you may have come to Wrong Planet as an anti-vax campaigner. If you did not know it before you joined, WP subscribes to neurodiverse principles, and is primarily a support forum for AS people.

Also, when you read the rules, (hopefully you actually did before posting) please notice that there is a rule against cross posting. Posting the same material in thread after thread on the same topic is one form of cross posting that breaks this rule and we will remove further threads if you continue to open them for the political purpose of your anti-vax campaign.