Are you ready for a car to crash through your roof?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 1:41 pm

I'm not. I don't think flying cars are a good idea.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 3:20 pm

I don't think flying cars are a good idea either.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 3:53 pm

Flying cars would be regulated by the FAA, probably as an LSA… Plenty of small aircrafts fly over houses without issue. Plus, pilots have way more training then the average car driver.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:03 am

I don't believe the B2TF pt. II flying car scenario will happen in our lifetimes.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 6:17 am

A few years ago I had a 'flying car' come within about 60 feet of crashing through the roof of my van.
It had departed its side of I-70 and gone airborne upon hitting the fence in median.
And, no, I wasn't ready.

Technically it was a station wagon, generically it was a car.
It actually rolled over in the air; muffler and catalytic converter seemed to be in good shape.
Then it landed on shoulder on our side and rolled down embankment.
Saw that people behind me stopped and went to check.
At the 75mph people were driving that day I would have been a mile further down the road before I would have come to a stop.
And I think I was in shock at how few seconds - about ONE - there had been between me and probable death.

Since this was a warm and partly cloudy day I have a feeling it wasn't hazardous road conditions which were the cause; probably something more like hazardous driver behavior.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 7:04 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
A few years ago I had a 'flying car' come within about 60 feet of crashing through the roof of my van...

I experienced something similar many years ago when a Corvair passed me at a high rate of speed on a country road at night and then lost control and rolled over right in front of me and then slid to the side of the road. With empty beer cans lying all around at the scene, your possibility of "hazardous driver behavior" seemed quite obvious!

Personally, I doubt "flying cars" will ever become like "the family sedan". Maintenance requirements and legalities for cars and aircraft are completely different...and that means the overall cost for each operational "hour" spent merely driving would be quite prohibitive for most people.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 10:26 am

leejosepho wrote:
Maintenance requirements and legalities for cars and aircraft are completely different...and that means the overall cost for each operational "hour" spent merely driving would be quite prohibitive for most people.
Good point. Dad and Grandad flew, so I get that.
And then there's the question of whether one is supermom enough to multitask in 3 dimensions while also having a cellphone in one hand, a cigarette in the other, and a screaming toddler in the back seat.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 11:34 am

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Although statistically, commercial flying is much safer than driving, unlike commercial planes personal flying cars might not have as many safety checks and their pilots would not be as well trained. Humans already have problems with the aspect of driving in two dimensions (forward and backwards, side to side), adding in the up and down aspect would make "driving" or flying as it would be, much more difficult; however, this problem might be solved via the sole use of self-flying and self-driving cars.[20] In mid-air collisions and mechanical failures, the aircraft could fall from the sky or go through an emergency landing, resulting in deaths and property damage.[21] In addition, poor weather conditions, such as low air density, lightning storms and heavy rain, snow or fog could be challenging and affect the aircraft's aerodynamics.[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_car_(aircraft)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 1:19 pm

Cars don't need to fly to do damage. I had a guildie in Everquest that had his a wall smashed by a car going through it, fortunately, he wasn't in that room.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 6:44 pm

This gives me flashbacks of Man of Steel.
WHERE IS THE CODEX?! !!