Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 5:47 pm

Jurors to hear transit bandit’s statements to cops at upcoming hearing

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 12:53 am

I know this guy is as guilty as Hell, but I'd hate to see him sent to prison, as he wouldn't last five minutes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 8:13 am

He doesn't deserve prison. I hope he's put on probation, at the most.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 1:29 am

Serial transit bandit misses out on cushy plea deal

Quote:
Brooklyn prosecutors appear to be growing irked at the city’s favorite transit fanatic’s insistence that he head to trial.

Despite thrice offering transport-obsessed Darius McCollum a deal of 3.5 to 7 years behind bars for swiping a Greyhound bus in November 2015, Assistant District Attorney Christopher Myco retracted the offer Thursday — instead pitching a term of five to 10 years in prison.

The new offer came with the condition that the transit enthusiast, who has Asperger’s Syndrome, plead guilty to charges of second-degree grand larceny.

McCollum and his lawyer, Sally Butler, immediately shot down the offer, as they have in the past.

The 50-year-old defendant is slotted to head to trial in September.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 6:34 am

As a "criminal" he is on a par with Winona Ryder, who got off with serving 480 hours in community service for shoplifting. She also paid thousands in fines. But her income is a lot bigger than McCollum's. McCollums steals stuff thats a little bit bigger in size than the jewelry and shoes that Ryder stole. But they were both driven by inner compulsions to steal.

But on the other hand how do you stop him from offending again? He cant seem to control himself. He may end up as a roommate of John Hinckley, doing life, but soft time in a mental institution rather than in a prison.

Maybe some institution can give him a job driving a steam locomotive at Hershy Park or some such place.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:49 pm

Serial bus, train thief with Asperger's syndrome mulls insanity plea offer

Quote:
Brooklyn prosecutors offered him the opportunity to plead guilty for reasons of insanity. If he agrees, a panel of doctors will determine his fitness and place him in a mental institution.

Prosecutors have made several plea offers to McCollum, all involving prison time, since his November 2015 arrest for jumping behind the wheel of the empty bus and taking it out for a spin — for 36 hours.

But McCollum has rejected the offers, ranging from 31/2 to 10 years, which would have shipped him to an upstate prison.

The transit thief’s longtime attorney, Sally Butler, has lobbied for McCollum to receive court-ordered mental health treatment, instead of prison, because he’s been diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome.

McCollum, 51, is a two-time felon whose obsession with buses and trains has resulted in a lengthy criminal record for stealing the vehicles.

Yet his particular condition didn’t qualify him for the mental health treatment.

If McCollum accepts the offer the prosecutor made Tuesday, the judge will conduct a hearing in which a panel of doctors will determine McCollum’s mental fitness.

The panel will determine if he’s either mentally ill and dangerous, mentally ill and not dangerous or not mentally ill,” Assistant District Attorney Christopher Myco explained to the judge.

Butler requested an adjournment in order for McCollum to review the offer.

“This is not a traditional plea,” the attorney said.

If McCollum takes his chances with a jury and is convicted, he faces five to 15 years in prison for the top count of grand larceny.

“Doctors concluded the defendant did lack the substantial capacity to know or appreciate the consequences of his actions by reason of insanity or autism spectrum disorder,” Myco read in court from a portion of the report the prosecution’s expert prepared.

“This doesn’t happen,” Butler said outside of court. “That’s what’s so bizarre about it — usually I’m the one begging the court to say somebody has a mental defect or is not responsible.”

In addition to grand larceny, McCollum faces charges of criminal impersonation, operating a motor vehicle without a license, criminal possession of stolen property and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

He will have to say on Oct. 18 whether he will accept the offer or go to trial on Dec. 4.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 1:13 am

Video

NYC Transit Thief Asks to Be Sent Back To Rikers

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 11:19 am

Anthony Hemingway In Talks To Direct Legal Drama ‘Train Man’

Quote:
Genius: Aretha director-producer Anthony Hemingway is in talks to helm Train Man, a legal drama based on the true story of Darius McCollum, a man with Asperger syndrome whose fascination with subways and trains led to him posing as various New York City Metro officials in order to operate subway trains.

FilmNation and Gotham Group are producing the pic.

Hemingway is widely known in the TV space, having executive produced and directed episodes for Underground, Unsolved, The Purge series and the upcoming Nat Geo miniseries Genius: Aretha.

Free Darius McCollum Petition started
Based on he is not dangerously mentally ill.