Page 8 of 25 [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 11:27 pm

Like Oral Roberts University.....

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 11:45 pm

Are they a highly regarded institution?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 12:48 am

Actually, they have a good reputation.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 2:57 pm

17:18

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 1:49 pm

‘Feminist Science’ event teaches researchers how to do ‘socially just science’

Event seeks to embed social justice into science for ‘progressive social change’

Scientific inquiry has long been considered a stalwart of observation and objectivity, but one effort underway by some researchers prioritizes applying a “critical social justice lens into science,” according to an upcoming event at UC Santa Cruz.

The event, what organizers dubbed “Feminist Science,” describes the effort as a method that infuses social justice, inclusion and equality into science to advance progressive social change.

“Research Justice 101: Tools for Feminist Science” will be hosted at the Northern California school next week and teach researchers how to “practice a socially just science,” according to the event’s description on the university’s website.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/41257/

There Are Four Lights!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 3:42 pm

I, personally, think that universities are just biased towards reality.

That being said, I find that universities are often reluctant to address US foreign policy. Instead, they tend to focus on the discrimination that occurs within Western society ... even though American foreign policy kills more people.

To be honest, that's my main problem with intellectuals these days. They see the world the way it really is, but they have their priorities in the wrong order.

#firstworldproblems

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 9:23 pm

To the original question I'm going to just say no.

They're money-making machines, a lot of the liberal arts colleges have extended their social-justice-y departments to keep up with supply and demand, in that move I think they did take on some radicals. Also we know that a great many administrations show terror of their students, especially the unreasonable minority (not ethnic or gender minority necessarily - just the handful of truly loud activists), they know all the ways from Sunday that the name of the school can get tarred, and they're accordingly constantly playing along with - and losing - what's similar to an extortion game.

It's not to say that there aren't postmodernist-dominated departments, just that I think those departments and that persona was less of a plan (ie. no conspiracy - just an organic result of other dynamics) and enough of those people are intolerable enough that people who aren't in their same bubble run for the hills or try to get a transfer somewhere else or to some other profession at their earliest convenience.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

Conservative students want Stanford professor who co-founded Antifa club to resign

Quote:
A group of conservative students at Stanford University want professor David Palumbo-Liu to resign or be reprimanded for co-founding a club called the Campus Anti-Fascist Network, Fox News reported.

“Antifa’s violence and thuggery is antithetical to the purpose of a university as an institution dedicated to the free exchange of ideas,” the conservative students wrote in a statement reported by Fox News. “We call on the administration to reprimand Palumbo-Liu and for him to resign immediately.”

The College Republicans told Fox News that if Palumbo-Liu continues to lead the anti-fascist group, he should not allowed to teach at Stanford:

Prof. Palumbo-Liu should either disavow the organization he founded due to its apparent domestic terrorist ties or resign. We believe in the institution of tenure and that the university thus is bound not to force him out, but we call on him to do the right thing by either disavowing his domestic terrorist affiliate or resigning.

Students have also criticized Palumbo-Liu, a comparative literature teacher, for his reportedly anti-Israel rhetoric and alleged promotion of anti-Semitic websites in a column he writes, Fox News reported.

Palumbo-Liu was also categorized as an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump. He was previously given the title, “Stanford’s Most Radical Professor,” by the Stanford Review, a libertarian student newspaper.

In an opinion piece published by the Stanford Review, Palumbo-Liu stated that the publication’s reporting on club the was “sensational” and “yellow journalism.”

In the piece, Palumbo-Liu said he named his group the Campus Anti-Fascist Network to “claim an alliance with the anti-fascists who fought Hitler, Mussolini, Franco and other fascist leaders” and to reflect opposition to certain speakers that use campus groups to get invitations to speak on campus:

"One of our basic premises is that many, if not all, of the speakers whose ideologies are aligned with the alt-right — including the ideologies of white supremacy, hetero-normalcy, misogyny, anti-Semitism, Islamophobia and other forms of bigotry — are using campus groups to invite them to speak at their universities not to debate, test, advance knowledge, which is the purpose of education, but to have the legitimacy — and in the case of institutions such as Stanford, Berkeley, Middlebury and others, the luster of these institutions — rub off on them."

In a counter editorial, the Stanford Review wrote that Palumbo-Liu should have picked a different name if he did not want the club to sound like it is affiliated with Antifa.

"Let’s remember the facts here. A professor founds a campus group with a name almost identical to a national movement that has been classified by the government as a domestic terrorist organization and identified by most Americans as a group of club-wielding thugs. He defends himself by claiming that his organization has a slightly different name. He fails to roundly condemn the domestic terrorism Antifa members have perpetrated against peaceful citizens. And yet, he is angry at us for pointing out that his actions could be misconstrued as reflecting a preference for violent protest over the peaceful dissent and debate that Stanford stands for."

I added a few quotes for readability

Stanford is a private university so there is no free speech issue but a free expression of ideas issue. The University can fire the professor for his ideas. That said does anybody support free expression of ideas of ideas they find repugnant anymore? Hypocritical trying to shut down a guy because he supports shutting people down.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 2:35 pm

Most academics that I know don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground. They mostly stay in their ivory towers and seldom get out in the real world.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 10:37 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
I felt a little like in this instance as though this panel was spreading their viewpoint onto many people without showing them the other side.

Presumably, the organisers were responsible for the panel selection...
Do they have a left-wing bias?

Quote:
This is bad as it prevents people from making an informed judgement, but what's more scary is that they did not bother to understand the other side.

This seems to be a classic case of confirmation bias, something which is non-partisan in nature...I.E. either party are guilty at times...
It lacks impartiality and is unethical/unscrupulous given the context if what you have presented is accurate...

This is politics...
Politics is a very dirty business...
Get used to it... :mrgreen:

Quote:
Is their a level of left wing dominance in academia in many places and if so how do we fight it?

I'm convinced that this is the case based, on what I have seen happing here in Australia...
But I am no expert on the subject...<shrug>

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 4:45 am

Honestly, the political atmosphere at most big universities is over-stated as is the presence of feminist oriented programs of study. To be perfectly honest, most serious students studying practical majors don't have time for politics or protests. Those events and seminars that focus on social justice issues are often obscure events.

The the events that attracts the biggest crowds at universities are finals, with lunch time at the commons a close second.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 5:36 am

Darmok wrote:
[i]‘Feminist Science’ event teaches researchers how to do ‘socially just science’

Event seeks to embed social justice into science for ‘progressive social change’

Scientific inquiry has long been considered a stalwart of observation and objectivity, but one effort underway by some researchers prioritizes applying a “critical social justice lens into science,” according to an upcoming event at UC Santa Cruz.

Damn, I despise the distorting/perversion/sodomising of the truth...
Objectivity? <sigh>

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 3:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSuEccEYvaE

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:25 am

I believe North American universities have become the opposite of what they are supposed to be. Universities should encourage debate instead of censoring speech and opinion.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 12:17 am

Poli-sci syllabus slams Trump as 'white supremacist'

--A syllabus for a political science course at California State University-Dominguez Hills blasted President Trump as a "white supremacist," "failed businessman," "orange reality star," and much more.

--An anonymous student enrolled in the course told Campus Reform that while they have had liberal professors in the past, they have seen "nothing to the extent of this."

A California State University-Dominguez Hills lecturer recently used her political science course syllabus to assert that President Trump was elected by “appealing to hatred and bigotry,” even labeling him a “white supremacist.”

Dr. Brooke Mascagni included the language in her syllabus for an “American Political Instituions” course, which is worth three credit hours at the California institution.

“The President of the United States won the 2016 election by appealing to hatred and bigotry,” the syllabus declares, according to images obtained by Campus Reform, adding that “just about everyday, a new scandal breaks or evidence of corruption emerges.”

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10457

There Are Four Lights!

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

Darmok wrote:
Poli-sci syllabus slams Trump as 'white supremacist'

--A syllabus for a political science course at California State University-Dominguez Hills blasted President Trump as a "white supremacist," "failed businessman," "orange reality star," and much more.

--An anonymous student enrolled in the course told Campus Reform that while they have had liberal professors in the past, they have seen "nothing to the extent of this."

A California State University-Dominguez Hills lecturer recently used her political science course syllabus to assert that President Trump was elected by “appealing to hatred and bigotry,” even labeling him a “white supremacist.”

Dr. Brooke Mascagni included the language in her syllabus for an “American Political Instituions” course, which is worth three credit hours at the California institution.

“The President of the United States won the 2016 election by appealing to hatred and bigotry,” the syllabus declares, according to images obtained by Campus Reform, adding that “just about everyday, a new scandal breaks or evidence of corruption emerges.”

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10457

Don't see the problem here; she's just telling the true.