Page 7 of 25 [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

The trouble with the internet is debates soon descend into epistemology.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:11 pm

That's par for the course with Foucault and Derrida. They sound college educated.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:31 pm

A Cornell law professor writes in USA Today about being smeared for his defense of free speech:

My pro-free speech views made me the target of a smear campaign at Vassar College

My lecture against squeezing out free speech from colleges got me smeared. The students who smeared me got a safe space complete with coloring books and markers.

It will come no surprise that campuses face a free-speech crisis at many levels.

From speech codes to kangaroo campus courts to lack of faculty political diversity, non-progressive voices are being pushed off campus.

But there is an aspect of the free speech problem that gets most of the headlines because of the viral videos.

From UC Berkeley in the west to Middlebury College in the northeast, and at dozens of colleges and universities in between, we have seen speakers disrupted, shouted-down, shut-down and threatened. Almost all such speakers were right of center, and almost all of the perpetrators were progressive students.

At Cornell University, where I teach at the law school, former Senator and presidential candidate Rick Santorum was heckled and Tea Party activist Michael Johns was forced to hold his appearance at a secret location due to threats of disruption.

I have watched these anti-free speech mobs from a distance, and from a news perspective. At my website, Legal Insurrection, I’ve written about many dozens of such incidents which started with attacks on Israeli and pro-Israeli speakers going back almost a decade and now have migrated into the mainstream.

I have given many lectures on campuses, mostly focusing on opposing the academic boycott of Israel and on the subject of anti-Semitism.

But I’m not a household name. And I’m not particularly controversial, although I do stick out at Cornell as one of only a small number of openly politically conservative faculty members.

So despite my campus speeches and conservative politics, I never really thought the anti-free speech mob would come for me. Until they did, at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 820815001/

There Are Four Lights!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:53 pm

Wow this is interesting. I always figured Mark Blyth was pretty far left in most ways but made sense on economics. I'm starting to think he'd get on well with Bret and Eric Weinstein on the sociology.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm

Harvard Faces DOJ Probe Over Affirmative-Action Policies
Justice Department accuses university of failing to cooperate in investigation of whether its admission policies discriminate against Asian-Americans

The U.S. Department of Justice has opened an investigation into the use of race in Harvard University’s admissions practices and has accused the university of failing to cooperate with the probe, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The Justice Department is investigating complaints that formed the basis of a federal civil lawsuit filed in 2014 in Boston, according to the documents. That suit alleges Harvard intentionally discriminates against Asian-Americans by limiting the number of Asian students who are admitted.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/harvard-fa ... mail_share

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 1:11 pm

Democrats have a long history of not wanting the wrong kind of people at their lunch counters.*

Campus coffee shop evicts College Republicans from 'safe space'

Members of the Fordham University College Republicans were asked to leave an on-campus coffee shop because their MAGA hats apparently violated the shop’s “safe space policy.”

The self-identified president of the student club that runs the shop told the CR members that she was "protecting my customers," explaining that "you are wearing hats that completely violate safe space policy." ...

“You are threatening the integrity of our club. This is a community standard—you are wearing hats that completely violate safe space policy,” she said. “You have to take it off or you have to go.”

One of the students then asked the president to explain what she thinks the MAGA hat stands for, to which she replied, shouting: “Fascism, Nazis! You have three minutes.”

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10251

*"Lunch counters" is a historical reference, for the young folks here. Typical old Democrat lunch counter:

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 3:38 pm

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 2:20 pm

University teaches white employees how to overcome the ‘discomfort’ of being white

University of Michigan training session used ‘Privileged Identity Exploration Model’

A two-day professional development conference held recently at the University of Michigan included a training session that aimed to help white employees deal with their “whiteness” so they could become better equipped to fight for social justice causes, according to organizers.

Participants who took part in the “Conversations on Whiteness” session, held December 5 during the university’s Student Life Professional Development Conference, were taught to “recognize the difficulties they face when talking about social justice issues related to their White identity, explore this discomfort, and devise ways to work through it,” the university’s website states.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/40145/

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 1:08 pm

‘White-Informed Civility’ Is the Latest Target in the Campus Wars
The rules of collegiate debate are also coming under attack as racist and patriarchal.

From the land that irony forgot—which earlier gave us microaggressions and trigger warnings—comes a new and surprising movement, this time to combat civility. Civility, you see, is a manifestation of the white patriarchy. Spearheading this campaign are a duo of University of Northern Iowa professors, who assert that “civility within higher education is a racialized, rather than universal, norm.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-info ... 1514938758

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm

College encourages students to report signs ‘color-coded pink for girls and blue for boys’ as bias incident

School asks that students report ‘bias incidents’ to college authorities

Williams College’s Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity advises students to report signs “color-coded pink for girls and blue for boys” as “bias incidents,” claiming such signage is “abhorrent and intolerable.”

It’s one example of nearly two-dozen possible bias incidents listed as part of Williams College’s anti-bias “Speak Up” program. Additional potential bias incidents listed include name-calling, “avoiding or excluding others,” stereotyping and calling someone or something “gay.”

Other offenses? “Telling someone they have to wear pants because they are male and a skirt because they are female” and “imitating someone’s cultural norm or practice,” according to the Speak Up program.

The reporting guide clarifies that bias-related incidents, “while abhorrent and intolerable,” are not crimes. Students are advised that they can report bias incidents to Campus Safety and Security as well as the health center and dean of students, among other options.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/40955/

There Are Four Lights!

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2018, 12:54 am

Nowadays, all people learn from college is that rape is bad.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 11:37 am

^^

All of that becomes super-easy pickings if we're pretending that it's only right-wing evangelicals who are saying this.

I think guys like Bret Weinstein, Jordan Peterson, Gad Saad, Jonathan Haidt etc (who are the polar opposite of that) do a great job of demonstrating that there are serious problems that need to be addressed and Jonathan Haidt even more than the rest has been orchestrating people for major change in this regard having now 1400+ Phd academics across the globe who've joined his heterodoxacademy.org.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 7:21 pm

Piobaire wrote:

Yet the oh so smart left wingers could not find a way to defeat the most unqualified candidate for president in history and they do not have control of the legislative branch or the governorships at the moment.

IMHO opinion it is partially because we are intellectually and morally superior to you is not a strategy for anything but making oneself feel good.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 9:50 pm

Conservatives are free to start their own university if they want. Some of them probably already have.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 11:27 pm

Like Oral Roberts University.....