AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 12:57 pm

Advocate.com wrote:
The Intersectionality of Autism and Homosexuality

By Louis Molnar
March 10 2017 6:39 AM EST

For much of my life it seemed like everyone else was able to express themselves in a carefree, effortless manner. But it was clear from childhood that I was not like most other people. I had to hide my behavior, mannerisms, and desires. Over time as I learned why I was different, and that it wasn’t acceptable to be different, I had the urge to live in the closet....

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2017 ... osexuality

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 1:45 pm

Probably, for half of your life, you had to "remain in the closet" because of your homosexuality alone.

In the 70's, in fact, homosexuality was rather a taboo subject, not to be discussed at many dinner tables. Homosexuals were attacked frequently---and it didn't make the news. Even in the 80s, many could not imagine homosexuals being married to each other, or being able to share insurances with their partner.

Your autism probably exacerbated that feeling, and made it last longer.