Can anybody help add to my list of autism related movies pls

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ants
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Apr 2017, 2:18 am

Thank you again people. I've added all these too my list and also purchased the Run Wild, Run Free book. I'll give it a week or so to compile afew more and i'll post up my [hopefully] almost comprehensive list. After this I'm going to focus on documentaries so forgive me if I start a new thread sharing a different list.

Thanks

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 6:38 pm

A Brilliant Young Mind
Bully
Touch (U.S. television series)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Ants

07 Apr 2017, 2:24 am

AspieUtah wrote:
A Brilliant Young Mind
Bully

Is that Bully the movie pal or the documentary? I ask because I'm looking for the autistic character in the film Bully and cant seem to find any reference.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 3:29 am

The Imitation Game
My Name is Khan

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 7:27 am

Ants wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
A Brilliant Young Mind
Bully

Is that Bully the movie pal or the documentary? I ask because I'm looking for the autistic character in the film Bully and cant seem to find any reference.

I meant the documentary film. The family whose son had committed suicide (Tyler Lee Long) and thereby helped provoke the movie's production was autistic. Another of the film's characters (Alex Libby) was portrayed as being abused on his daily school-bus commutes. Long's parents and the film's director have described the boys as having been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao1jaBpTjgM and https://storify.com/CynthiaParkhill/sho ... ger-s-diag ).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 8:59 am

Movies:
Lars and the real girl (Main character "Lars" is probably on the spectrum)

TV Shows:
Mr Robot (Main character "Elliot" is very likely on the spectrum)
House MD (Season 7, Minor role character "Martha Masters" is likely on the spectrum)

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 4:18 am

There's an Indian movie called "Barfi!" that I thought was excellent. It has a terrific, understated female autistic character. It's definitely not your typical Bollywood flick. It's​ not on Netflix anymore, unfortunately.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2017, 2:46 pm

Autism is a World
Wretchers and Jabberers
Important note though both are accused of using Facillitated Communication and as such may be fake portrayals
W+J guys are somewhat verbal though so they have more credibility
Also Annie's Coming Out FC also

3sp3on
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2017, 3:45 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the new Power Rangers movie had a very positive portrayal of a main character with an ASD, in my opinion.

Ants

15 Apr 2017, 4:42 pm

3sp3on wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the new Power Rangers movie had a very positive portrayal of a main character with an ASD, in my opinion.

Cool, is it stated that he has an ASD?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm

Movies
-------------
Aspergers Are Us - Aspie Comedy Troupe

Run Wild, Run Free - 1969 Children's movie with lead character described by reviewers at that time as Autistic played by Mark Lester of Oliver! fame.

A Change of Habit - 1969 Mary Tyler Moore played a nun working in the "ghetto" who diagnosis a girl with Autism. Elvis in an unusual serious role cures the girl with rage therapy that was popular time

Television Programs
---------------------------------
Directions '65 - February 7, 1965. One of the notable moments in the history of autism and disability rights.
Believed to the first documentary of its kind followed the Autistic 8 year old son of a celebrity chef with parents and siblings providing commentary. Bernard Rimland critic of the dominant "refrigerator mother" theory of Autism was a guest. A relative of Ruth Sullivan an organizer of a small local support group of Autism parents opposing the Refrigerator Mother theory viewed the program. The relative told Ruth about the program (TV was banned in the Sullivan household), Ruth contacted Rimland and they formed The Autism Society of America which had a role in the passage of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1975 that made it the law to guarantee disabled students the right to an education appropriate to their needs

Marcus Welby MD - 1969 Episode "The Foal". Dr. Welby helps Autism parents battle bureaucracy and autism treatments of the era.

Chicago Med - 2017 "Dr. Latham" diagnosed with Aspergers

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ants

16 Apr 2017, 4:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Movies
-------------

Run Wild, Run Free - 1969 Children's movie with lead character described by reviewers at that time as Autistic played by Mark Lester of Oliver! fame.

A Change of Habit - 1969 Mary Tyler Moore played a nun working in the "ghetto" who diagnosis a girl with Autism. Elvis in an unusual serious role cures the girl with rage therapy that was popular time

Television Programs
Directions '65 - February 7, 1965. One of the notable moments in the history of autism and disability rights.
Believed to the first documentary of its kind followed the Autistic 8 year old son of a celebrity chef with parents and siblings providing commentary. Bernard Rimland critic of the dominant "refrigerator mother" theory of Autism was a guest. A relative of Ruth Sullivan an organizer of a small local support group of Autism parents opposing the Refrigerator Mother theory viewed the program. The relative told Ruth about the program (TV was banned in the Sullivan household), Ruth contacted Rimland and they formed The Autism Society of America which had a role in the passage of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1975 that made it the law to guarantee disabled students the right to an education appropriate to their needs

Marcus Welby MD - 1969 Episode "The Foal". Dr. Welby helps Autism parents battle bureaucracy and autism treatments of the era.

Thank you for them. I will add them to my list.

Here is a improved list. I am also working on a documentary list wish I will post separately. I'll also be looking at compiling some of the biggest news stories at some point.

Thanks everybody.

------------------------------------
Films

Adam
After Thomas
Bless the Child
Cries from the Heart
Dark Floors
Dear John
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Fly Away
Jack of the Red Hearts
Killer Diller
Life Animated
Marathon
Mary and Max
Mercury Rising
Miracle Run
Molly
Mozart and the Whale
My Name Is Khan
Rain Man
Season of Miracles
Silent Fall
Snow Cake
Suitcase
Superbror
Temple Grandin
The Black Balloon
The Boy Who Could Fly
The Horse Boy
The Story of Luke
Davids Mother
Fielder’s Choice
Nell
House of Cards
Under the Piano
A Mile in His Shoes
God’s Ear
Breaking and Entering
Joyful Noise
Ocean Heaven
White Frog
Ben X
Stand Clear of the Closing Door’s
X + Y
I Am Me
Hear The Silence
Po
The Darkness
The Accountant
Jack of Red Heart’s
Jane Wants a Boyfriend
Too Hip for the Room
Empty Room
Cube
Backstreet Dreams

TV Series

Alphas
Touch
The A Word
Yellow Peppers
All The Small Things

Possibly Autism Related Films/ Series

The Wizard
Benny and June
Run Wild, Run Free
The Martian
Imitation Game
Little Man Tate
The Other Sister
Forrest Gump
Change of Habit
Silence
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Pit

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 6:30 pm

Ants wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Movies
-------------

Television Programs

Thank you for them. I will add them to my list.

Here is a improved list. I am also working on a documentary list wish I will post separately. I'll also be looking at compiling some of the biggest news stories at some point.

Thanks everybody.

------------------------------------
Films

Adam
After Thomas
Bless the Child
Cries from the Heart
Dark Floors
Dear John
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Fly Away
Jack of the Red Hearts
Killer Diller
Life Animated
Marathon
Mary and Max
Mercury Rising
Miracle Run
Molly
Mozart and the Whale
My Name Is Khan
Rain Man
Season of Miracles
Silent Fall
Snow Cake
Suitcase
Superbror
Temple Grandin
The Black Balloon
The Boy Who Could Fly
The Horse Boy
The Story of Luke
Davids Mother
Fielder’s Choice
Nell
House of Cards
Under the Piano
A Mile in His Shoes
God’s Ear
Breaking and Entering
Joyful Noise
Ocean Heaven
White Frog
Ben X
Stand Clear of the Closing Door’s
X + Y
I Am Me
Hear The Silence
Po
The Darkness
The Accountant
Jack of Red Heart’s
Jane Wants a Boyfriend
Too Hip for the Room
Empty Room
Cube
Backstreet Dreams

TV Series

Alphas
Touch
The A Word
Yellow Peppers
All The Small Things

Possibly Autism Related Films/ Series

The Wizard
Benny and June
Run Wild, Run Free
The Martian
Imitation Game
Little Man Tate
The Other Sister
Forrest Gump
Change of Habit
Silence
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Pit

You are welcome.
"Change of Habit" is not maybe. Autism is mentioned
Article about Autism in that movie

Autism is not specificaly mentioned in "Run Wild Run Free" but is in this August 15, 1969 Time Magazine review
Quote:
Philip (Mark Lester) is a ten-year-old child who wanders the moors of Devonshire, wondering at the endless varieties of nature around him. His only companion is a retired colonel (John Mills) who teaches him how to identify wildlife and how to train and fly a falcon. But Philip cannot communicate either his enthusiasm or thanks: he is autistic, a puzzle and a burden to his parents for most of his life. It is not until after he encounters a wild white colt early one morning that he begins even to respond to other people.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 10:20 pm

I know its never said or referenced in the show. But Seymour Skinner in The Simpsons might be on the spectrum. Because he a lot of the time is very socially awkward and doesn't understand somethings and has weird interests.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 11:25 pm

Freddy Got Fingered- the main character is likely to be on the spectrum.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 3:35 pm

TV Show Scorpion, probably.
ASD's are not mentioned the show is officially about a team of "brilliant misfits". The characters are socially awkward and use terms such as "us" and "the normals".