Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

donaar
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2017, 7:58 pm

so in the new power rangers movie not only is billy (the blue ranger) black but he is also on the autism spectrum and its not a half bad representation of it. there is even a please dont touch me bit after the red ranger gives him a hug shortly after they meet.

Exclusive: Billy’s Autism Brings Realism To Power Rangers

sorry tommy but the new version of billy is my new favorite power ranger.

now excuse me while i go and marathon the origional mighty morphin power rangers (but not the origional movie the cg in that is painful to look at now like i know 1995 is when it was released but still)

ps just realized they made him the one with autism cause he is blue..... damn you autism speaks and your influence

Aq: 37

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2017, 2:34 pm

I was wondering if anyone here would bring up that the script writers decided to portray Billy the blue ranger as being autistic. I haven't seen this film yet , and do not know when or if I will , so I don't know first hand if it's an altogether accurate portrayal . I also have heard that perhaps more controversially for some the yellow ranger , Trini , is going to be brought out as being a lesbian , for whatever reason . I just saw this review on Youtube about this movie . I don't know if the color blue has any special significance . It might just be coincidence , sort of like this one discredited theory that in the original series the suit colors corresponded to each character's respective race http://fusion.net/the-black-power-range ... 1793842190 .

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2017, 9:37 pm

I really liked Billy in the movie. Most often autistic characters are portrayed as cold and aloof, and in this movie while Billy did ask Jason to stop hugging him in the beginning of the movie by the end he was comfortable enough to initiate hugs with his friend!
Also you get to see him stimming by clapping his hands with no one making a big deal out of it, it's​ always nice to have stimming portrayed in a normative manner.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 5:02 pm

i feel that their portrayal of an autistic character was spot on and did not throw us into a negative light... my wife and friends got a kick out of the fact that "it you!! !"