Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 11:26 pm

This is something I've never been able to find a straight answer to, so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on the issue.

Where did this contention between the U.S. and Assad come from?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Apr 2017, 11:36 pm

The Arabs and Israelis both hate him, it is strategically an important pivot point that world powers want to control.

I do not like or trust the military brass that Trump has surrounded himself with, I think the deep state has more or less forced him to toe the line on some things.

Perhaps the only thing that could save Syria would be a total WWII style occupation divided by the RELEVANT powers, we need deIslamification like we needed deNazification, it would have a to a grand undertaking for any chance of success. Punitive missile strikes I guess could be a way to save face but I don't think the MIC will be satisfied with token gestures. Assad can't leave, what is the alternative? The rebels are literally ISIS and al-Qaeda.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:01 am

A third alternative can always be created, Syrians are not only either Assad or ISIS.

Bachar and his father imprisoned and killed Lebanese Christians more than any radical movement in the area; let's not have a very short memory on that.

Anyway, this strike is just a political maneuver and power play and nothing else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 11:46 am

He and/or his father have:

1. Destabilized Lebanon for nearly 30 years
2. Orchestrated the Hama massacre, which killed ~30,000 people, 10x that of 9/11, and 7-8x that of our total troop losses in Iraq and Afghanistan.
3. Mass discrimination against non-Alawites
4. Allowed Syria to be the main conduit for Iranian money and arms to Hamas, Hezbollah, et al.
5. Use of chemical weapons against civilians, possibly the ones previously believed to have been in Iraq prior to the 2003 invasion of that country.
6. Abysmal human rights violations

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 12:03 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I think the deep state has more or less forced him to toe the line on some things.

Even thouhg I have no scientific proof and likely nevre will have, there is this feeling that when a new President comes in he is sat down and informed just precisely how long his leash will be.
I mean, there's this 200+ year old establishment and a President comes and goes every 4 or 8 years like nothing more than a passing cloud compared to the centuries old establishment.

LittleCandle
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2017, 12:26 pm

Hmm...Let's see...because Assad is a murderous, raving madman who gets off on killing his own people.

JackBruns
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2017, 12:39 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
He and/or his father have:

1. Destabilized Lebanon for nearly 30 years
2. Orchestrated the Hama massacre, which killed ~30,000 people, 10x that of 9/11, and 7-8x that of our total troop losses in Iraq and Afghanistan.
3. Mass discrimination against non-Alawites
4. Allowed Syria to be the main conduit for Iranian money and arms to Hamas, Hezbollah, et al.
5. Use of chemical weapons against civilians, possibly the ones previously believed to have been in Iraq prior to the 2003 invasion of that country.
6. Abysmal human rights violations

7. AIPAC
8. Goldman Sachs
9. Soros
10. Greater Israel.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Apr 2017, 1:08 pm

You can blame the Israelis but the truth is that the Gulf Arabs are probably bigger drivers of this violence and for getting us involved in these wars because if we don't then they unleash their mujaheddin terrorists.

there's this too

It was a mistake to overthrow Saddam, it was a mistake to overthrow Gaddafi, it would be a mistake to overthrow Assad.

The only way you can actually win this I think is a grand bargain that results in something akin to a post-WWII type occupation with countries creating zones of influence for many many years. Trying to fight Russia and Iran would be a losing battle and one that will once again put us on the side of the jihadists we've spent the last 15+ years fighting.

JackBruns
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2017, 3:25 pm

Jacoby wrote:
You can blame the Israelis but the truth is that the Gulf Arabs are probably bigger drivers of this violence and for getting us involved in these wars because if we don't then they unleash their mujaheddin terrorists.

there's this too

It was a mistake to overthrow Saddam, it was a mistake to overthrow Gaddafi, it would be a mistake to overthrow Assad.

The only way you can actually win this I think is a grand bargain that results in something akin to a post-WWII type occupation with countries creating zones of influence for many many years. Trying to fight Russia and Iran would be a losing battle and one that will once again put us on the side of the jihadists we've spent the last 15+ years fighting.

Oh it helps Israel a great deal. Remember, Saddam Hussein payed each Palestinian family $25,000 for each successful suicide bombing carried out in that apartheid state. And that was back in 2002. Can you guess what happened to him? The Israelis love it when Muslims turn against each other. That's their goal for further territory.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:50 pm

http://www.globalresearch.ca/greater-is ... st/5324815

It's all been written out and is playing out. Israel has been bombing Syria from the air. The whole trouble in Syria started around the Israeli border. The Arab states would be destroyed tomorrow is the US and Israel wanted to do so. The gulf states are used to help divide people in countries the US and Israel want to destroy. Israel want the Palestinians to be stranded.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:52 pm

LittleCandle wrote:
Hmm...Let's see...because Assad is a murderous, raving madman who gets off on killing his own people.

That'd usually make him qualify to be a US favorite. They've supported brutal dictators across the world for decades. To make out the US is doing this because they just want to spread joy and wonder is just outrageous garbage.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm

JackBruns wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

there's this too

Oh it helps Israel a great deal. Remember, Saddam Hussein payed each Palestinian family $25,000 for each successful suicide bombing carried out in that apartheid state. And that was back in 2002. Can you guess what happened to him? The Israelis love it when Muslims turn against each other. That's their goal for further territory.

I think that part of the situation that currently exists due to Isreali Covert Ops in Syria playing every side off of each other in order to grind them down through their own attrition. --Isreal has been curiously silent about the affairs in Syria for the past several years, which leads me to believe that they are fully engaged in playing all sides off of each other.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 10:44 pm

I didn't realize I would need to mention this, but substantiated facts only please.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:20 am

gas and oil and pipelines
(militairy showroom and sandbox for that industry)
(destruction of history is also a wellknown side-effect)

the waterwar plays into that too (with a 'slight' depopulationprogram on the side)
also aligned the planned 'regime-changes' as in the other arabspring-countries
but its not the people of the us but the globalbankers/militairindustrialcomplex
funny but not so funny, countries fighting for multinationals' interests,
taxpayers money and lifes to serve the taxavoiders' best interests

or Saoudi Arabia is a BIG ally and moneydonator/lender of US and SA wants the chiite branch of islam destroyed, for the wahhabaist/salafist version.
http://www.atlantico.fr/rdv/geopolitico ... 96459.html

in short - geopolitics - money - control
and the war on the minds, by obscurantist fundamentalists in dresses; of all sorts

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:32 am

JackBruns wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

there's this too

Saddam Hussein had made the massive payouts to Palestinian suicide bombers, I think, because he had wanted to appear as Pro-Arab to gain sympathy and support in the Islamic world, instead of a selfish secular despot. I rather doubt he gave a good Goddamn about the plight of the Palestinians.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 7:30 am

Pro-trump americans seem to be very ill-informed on the key role Assad played in the emergence and building of Isis.

Al Assad has a long history of capturing islamists then releasing them for no reason only to become stronger and better armed.

Read the history of Fatah el Islam and its founder Shaker el Abssi for instance.

From a wikileaks cable:
“In principle, we don’t attack or kill them immediately,” Gen. Ali Mamluk, now Assad’s top intelligence advisor, said of al Qaeda operatives. “Instead, we embed ourselves in them, and only at the opportune moment do we move.”

Al Assad's aim was to make his propaganda matches reality: to convince the world that it's either him or the terrorists.
And he's suceeding at that.