Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 12:22 am

I know Aspergers forget things, why do we have to forget things? Is there something to take to help your memory?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 5:08 am

Well i always had difficulty with short term memory loss ever since i was young i would have difficulty in school because of it.

HOWEVER, after my diagnoses a IQ test was preformed on me and the test showed that the memory was fine BUT the speed in which i process information is very slow, so if i dont have enough time to soak up the informtation (mostly verbal information) i will seem to "forget" it. Apparently its typical with people on the spectrum, according to my Psychologist.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

svaughan
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2017, 5:11 am

Val information is the worst. My attention span is not great either unless I'm really interested in something. I used to fall asleep in class because I would lose what the teacher was saying so quickly lol.

conanthewarrior
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Apr 2017, 5:39 am

I never, ever realised memory issues were part of aspergers. (EDIT: I should add it is my short term memory, for example I will forget what I had for breakfast, but say an occasion like Christmas I will remember key parts)
My memory is bad, and I do forget things. For some reason I assumed it was the opposite, and it was one thing that I did not think fit, as every other part of aspergers seems to 'fit' exactly me.

I haven't found anything that helps unfortunately, although I write important things down. I have also bought myself a rubiks cube (One standard rubiks brand, another Qiyi thunderclap speed cube) as it is fun, and trying to remember the algorithms I thought could help with my memory.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2017, 5:46 am

A lot of have comorbid ADHD. There is a large crossover in symptoms.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2017, 6:02 am

Years ago in elementary school, I remember I forgot a lot of things, not only leaving things behind but also newly learned material. I have to say that I have been officially diagosed with AD(H)D, however I guess it can also be related to autism. My train of thought is: social interaction gives for a lot of people with autism severe stress levels, negative stress like draining you from mental energy. This makes, in my case anyway, the brain foggy, and therefore laking concentration and short term memory.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:09 am

Bad short term/working memory are my main priorities when dealing with the cursed part of autism. It's the problem I haven't figured well yet, along with auditorial filtering (can't get to it yet) and verbal learning (no motivation).

I tried focus by strengthening the 'hold' on the memory. But it does not guarantee and it takes energy (depends how many you have to remember and how spontaneous).
It 'slips' if I did oral repetition. I don't know if it's true for anyone else. I even forget what I said.
And I have other factors that reduces my attention span -- namely, chronic sinusitis and allergic/idiopathic rhinitis. So, yes, breathing distracts me on daily basis.
Auditorial processing didn't helped with verbal instructions.

As far as I know, I've been coping with it by external memory. (Lists, alarms, etc.) Main problem is that I forget to check it and forgotten that it exists. Or end up losing it. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

conanthewarrior

07 Apr 2017, 6:52 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Bad short term/working memory are my main priorities when dealing with the cursed part of autism. It's the problem I haven't figured well yet, along with auditorial filtering (can't get to it yet) and verbal learning (no motivation).

I tried focus by strengthening the 'hold' on the memory. But it does not guarantee and it takes energy (depends how many you have to remember and how spontaneous).
It 'slips' if I did oral repetition. I don't know if it's true for anyone else. I even forget what I said.
And I have other factors that reduces my attention span -- namely, chronic sinusitis and allergic/idiopathic rhinitis. So, yes, breathing distracts me on daily basis.

As far as I know, I've been coping with it by external memory. (Lists, alarms, etc.) Main problem is that I forget to check it and forgotten that it exists. Or end up losing it. :lol:

I also find verbal learning is not my style at all. How do you prefer to learn? I either like to either actually learn by doing what I am trying to learn with some sort of guide, such as a visual set of instructions, or by reading.

I find with these methods I can learn things rather quickly, but when it comes to verbal learning I am not very good at all.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2017, 11:06 am

I'm visual. Verbal is too hard for me.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 5:12 pm

I've always had bad short term memory. Maybe it's stress from school, but recently I've been spending a large part of my day getting ready to do something but then forgetting it immediately.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 5:13 pm

...I forget :-) .

Kitty4670 wrote:
I know Aspergers forget things, why do we have to forget things? Is there something to take to help your memory?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:42 pm

I would really like to say something less extra-ordinary sounding, but --
self-hypnosis

I worry that I will expose you rip-off artists or will sound like one.

All I mean to say is that bio-feedback, to help you remain calm, will probably make any AS person into a walking computer. People go in and out of this mental state, all the time, without ever realizing what they are doing.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 12:26 am

conanthewarrior wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

I also find verbal learning is not my style at all. How do you prefer to learn? I either like to either actually learn by doing what I am trying to learn with some sort of guide, such as a visual set of instructions, or by reading.

I find with these methods I can learn things rather quickly, but when it comes to verbal learning I am not very good at all.

Almost any ways except verbal. But I have a strong preference on visual learning.
I could even do nonvisual, nonverbal, and non sensory. Or complete abstract.
But almost never verbal to the point that I could see spoken/written language itself as an interference. Especially when it's oral -- too many interferences.

I barely (even up to now) figured how could I explain things in verbal terms except show it if it's even entirely possible.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2017, 2:29 pm

We Aspies don't HAVE to forget things, we just do. It's a trait we have. I forget things all the time. It's especially frustrating when I walk into a room and I forget what I went in there for. I'm sure there's medication out there for forgetfulness, but I don't know if I really need it. It's not like my forgetfulness is making my life unmanageable or anything. I think there's one called Ginkobiloba or something like that, but it might be just for the elderly who are senile and suffer from memory loss. Ok, hope this helped. :)

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:49 pm

Besides being in mental overload, physical exhaustion is a cause of forgetfulness.

It think AS people have a strange way of registering physical neglect. I, personally, would notice stiffness, before cold, or the symptoms of hypoglycemia, before being hungry, or the symptoms of prolonged sleep deprivation, instead of being sleepy. I don't seem to notice any immediate discomfort, so much as it's secondary side effects. I feel no self pity and have to tell myself when to stop.

Being forgetful is a sign to pause, ask questions about your surroundings and personal safety.