Are Let's Plays Technically Legal…?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

OttselHero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2017, 11:41 am

Resurrecting this thread for a couple of reasons. The first is that I just bought a capture device…and I'm suddenly afraid to use it. I'm still on the fence about doing Let's Plays; I know it should be straightforward: get permission from the developer and publisher or don't do it and just review the game instead. But now there is paranoia surrounding the fact that while some publishers have a public statement on their website giving their stance on Let's Plays (under certain conditions), they also frequently state that they have the right to change their policies as they see fit…so a Let's Play could be fine one day and riddled with copyright notices the next.

And then you have Square Enix's (North America) policy which, while generally okay with Let's Plays, also states, "Don’t Mix Our Materials With Those of Other Publishers: This confuses ownership and gets very messy." So…does that mean they forbid editorials (i.e. Top 10 lists) using their material? Isn't that covered under fair use?

OttselHero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Sep 2017, 12:36 pm

Bumped to pose an additional question. Does anyone know if it is illegal to bypass HDCP? The PS3 has HD protection which prevents HD video to be recorded by a capture device (called HDCP). However an HDMI splitter is capable of bypassing it. The PS4 also has this encryption, though it can simply be turned off in the settings menu. Would it be wrong to use an HDMI splitter OR to turn off HDCP on PS4? I've consulted Google and only came up with https://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/com ... pass_hdcp/ , which doesn't offer a concrete answer.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 9:10 am

Well the 2bro channel seems to do it without a problem xD I say go for it (: