Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Rhi Rhi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2017, 2:43 am

Im recently self diagnosed and havn't 'come out' to my parents, so to speak. Im back in therapy working with a Psychotherapist, who has been helping through it all, but i thought maybe someone here might have some advice on how to go about it? Im a little nervous/ scared that they wont accept it.

Any advice??

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2017, 3:47 pm

Tell your parents,if they love you,they'll accept you,no matter what.
Hiding the facts,just ends in ongoing emotional pain for yourself.

Good luck.: )

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 4:02 pm

Many typically developed individuals don't know much about autism. So, I would suggest avoiding any details about your own behaviors for now. Instead, ask your parents what they know about autism (this will give you a better understanding about how to proceed with the description about your own life).

Plan ahead the three ideas that you want them to know after you discuss this with them. Consider sprinkling into the conversation the names of famous people who are autistic (like Temple Grandin, actress Daryl Hannah and probably U.S. President Thomas Jefferson). This will give your parents the understanding that autism includes great abilities with some of the impairments we all share.

Finally, acknowledge to them that even typically developed individuals like them have special interests, need to stim sometimes and avoid places which are loud or crowded. We just react a little more than they do. This will probably make them feel less like autism is "alien."

After that, wait a few days for them to start asking you questions. If they don't ask in a week, start offering little descriptions of examples about your behaviors, interests and sensory sensitivities. They might be afraid to appear "rude." Ask them how they feel about it.

And, don't be surprised that they will be more interested and caring than you expected. They are your parents, they have known you since you were born. :)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:50 am

Never an easy one to call one way or the other.

I had held back from perusing a full formal diagnosis because one thing I did not want to do was put my mum of 83 through the interviews, maybe put a load of worry on her and leave me looking selfish for doing so.

What was a pleasure was some gentle reminiscing and gentle laughter over some of the eccentricities from my early years, how the Nursery class was not the best of experiences, and other things which might provide some clues one way or the other.

I confess that on my return home from visits to my mum those reminiscing sessions went into notes which I later submitted to the person who eventually did my assessment.

However, the situation is that I first suspected age 51 and was was assessed age 53