Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

worrit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2017, 7:03 am

Hi
I'm new here so hope I'm doing this right!
My DD has an ASD and has had mental health problems for years. She has just been told by a psychiatrist that "if a diagnosis of a major mental disorder/neurodevelopmental disorder is made symptoms of other neurotic/stress related disorders will be subsumed under this". She has severe symptoms of depression OCD and PTSD which were looked into in depth during sessions with a psychologist but it seems the psychiatrist thinks they can't be diagnosed as she is autistic.
Is this right? Has anyone heard of this? Any help would be great.

mik9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2017, 12:27 pm

The psychiatrist is wrong. Those are comorbid conditions, and she can have those dx's along with ASD, like many other autistic people.

worrit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2017, 12:42 pm

Thanks - this is what I thought but you get all these superiority vibes from psychiatrists​ and doubt yourself.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 12:46 pm

worrit wrote:
it seems the psychiatrist thinks they can't be diagnosed as she is autistic.
Is this right? Has anyone heard of this? Any help would be great.

Hmm, how odd that the US government has published papers which prove otherwise.
Quote:
"RESULTS:

Seventy percent of participants had at least one comorbid disorder and 41% had two or more. The most common diagnoses were social anxiety disorder (29.2%, 95% confidence interval [CI)] 13.2-45.1), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (28.2%, 95% CI 13.3-43.0), and oppositional defiant disorder (28.1%, 95% CI 13.9-42.2). Of those with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, 84% received a second comorbid diagnosis. There were few associations between putative risk factors and psychiatric disorder.
CONCLUSIONS:

Psychiatric disorders are common and frequently multiple in children with autism spectrum disorders. They may provide targets for intervention and should be routinely evaluated in the clinical assessment of this group."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18645422

Apparently paid professionals in the UK on the same page,

Quote:
Mental health and autism

Even though mental illness can be more common for people on the autism spectrum than in the general population, the mental health of autistic people is often overlooked. Here we look at anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and depression.

By Dr Anastasios Galanopoulos, Dr Dene Robertson, Ms Debbie Spain and Dr Clodagh Murphy. This information is drawn from an article that first appeared in the Mental Health supplement of Your Autism Magazine, Vol 8(4), Winter 2014.
Anxiety disorders

Anxiety disorders are very common amongst people on the autism spectrum. Roughly 40% have symptoms of at least one anxiety disorder at any time, compared with up to 15% in the general population. Understandably, this can lead to sadness or depression – one reason why a mixture of anxiety and depression is common.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/m ... ealth.aspx

Well, damn, even the Brazilians expect the possibility of comorbid conditions,
Quote:
1). . The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS).22

2). . Determination of social abilities and adaptive skills. The Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS),23 completed by a parent, can provide information relating to social abilities. The Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales (Vineland-II, 2nd edition)24 can be administered by a clinician or completed by parents to assess adaptive skills.

3). . Screening for maladaptive behaviors and comorbid problems (e.g., hyperactivity, irritability, aggression, temper outbursts, self-injury, mood, anxiety symptoms) can be assessed by means of parent or caregiver completion of the Aberrant Behavior Checklist-Community Version (ABC-CV).25

4). . Screening for medical comorbidities (history of elimination disorders, seizures, gastrointestinal problems, growth abnormalities). The role of medical testing in the assessment of ASD is increasing, although full consensus is lacking as to what tests are considered universally appropriate. Examples include possible electroencephalogram testing, given that the rate of comorbid epilepsy in ASD varies between 15-30%. When epilepsy is present, a neurologist assessment should be indicated.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... 3000500008

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 12:53 pm

worrit wrote:
Thanks - this is what I thought but you get all these superiority vibes from psychiatrists​ and doubt yourself.
Yep; there was the time I was misdiagnosed as to which version of bipolar I had by the guy in the Armani suit in the office with solid walnut doors -- and the Nurse Practitioner at the community health center fixed that but after my then wife and I had learned the hard way that I had the type of bipolar where antidepressants don't work so well, except we didn't know that was why the things were happening.

worrit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2017, 1:52 pm

Thankyou kitesandtrainsandcats and sorry to hear of your own troubles. These people should be more careful

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 4:36 pm

worrit wrote:
Thankyou kitesandtrainsandcats
Thanks! I dunno, maybe it's one of my 'aspie superpowers' to find these kinds of references? Or some kind of "Mission from God" Who knows why for sure. It simply is, and I leave it at that. :D
During the 7 years I was on Farce Book and in support groups for a couple of the half dozen chronic illnesses I have it became a common refrain, "Is (my name) on? Go ask him, he's good at finding stuff." And I was quite tickled by that. Again, I dunno, but it seems that 93.4712% of the time Google dumps what I want right in my lap.
It has become my habit to give 3 references to whatever the thing is, maybe it is arbitrary but there is a sense of rightness in doing so..
And, really, Google has become something of a playground - as in, "Hmm, wonder what's out there about ________?"

pink_harmonica
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2017, 8:15 am

[quote: kitesandtrainsandcats]
It has become my habit to give 3 references to whatever the thing is, maybe it is arbitrary but there is a sense of rightness in doing so..[/quote]
"Three men make a tiger" ... it's not just you, it's a Chinese proverb.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 1:03 pm

You can have more than one disorder and they can be co morbid which means they all run together.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.