Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:45 am

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
I think most people find me interesting because I'm into such weird things. I'm vegan, I can juggle, I compete in powerlifting, I know a lot about ants, etc. But beyond that, people find me very boring to actually be around. I'm very quiet and I don't like anything that other people like so spending time with me tends to be very dull.

Powerlifting and juggling could be interesting to someone that does not themselves participate

Plenty of fans go to professional football basketball and baseball games. But they do not themselves join teams

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 11:06 am

Am I boring? I don't think so. I can't remember anyone ever telling me that.
I get more "You are weird af!" :D

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 2:23 pm

You can't measure boredom

But yes. Almost always I feel boring and bored

"Boring" is not necessarily a bad thing

Obsessive compulsive disorder involves a lot of boring rituals

And the rituals are comforting

"Exciting" could be bad. When a stampede of junior high school reptiles physically assaulted me when I was 12 years old, that was exciting. It was also exciting when someone crashed into my car while I was driving

Right now I am 34 and would much rather have too much boredom than excitement

And the older I get the more boredom I want

Boredom is stability and predictability

Excitement is risk and danger

Adrenal Fatigue

oddnumberedcat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2017, 9:52 pm

Yeah, for sure. I'm introverted, dislike TV and movies, don't listen to popular music, don't "go out", rarely socialize in general, don't have children or a significant other (not that I want either)... I always squirm when people ask me what I did over the weekend. What did I do? Nothing really. I just read newspapers and journals online.

I like working and reading. Unfortunately, the things I like to read about, the average person doesn't care about. Sooo... what should I say? I very much like what I do and don't find it boring, but I don't anticipate I'm exactly riveting to other people.

It's gotten better over the years since now I can talk to people about politics and the news at least, but in high school, god. My interests were the same as they are now, and I had nothing in common with other people.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

19 Aug 2017, 9:13 am

Yes. I am rarely ever able to connect with others, even when they have similar interests to me. This makes me unappealing to a lot of people. A part of me is thankful to being wired the way that I am, being boring has kept a lot of bad people away.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:53 am

I never thought I was boring but people sometimes make comments to me like, "Man, if you were any more laid back you would be dead." If they could see inside my head they would know differently.

I actually got a negative review for a musical performance. The blogger said I looked bored while I was playing. I wrote to him and thanked him because I had no idea I was coming across that way. I now practice looking enthusiastic along with practicing the music. It's a bit weird at times and feels contrived. One show I actually played horribly but I was so acting so enthusiastic nobody seemed to notice. How I looked while I was playing seemed to be more important than what I was playing. This world confuses me sometimes.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 2:07 pm

Only once has someone else told me I was "boring"

Someone had the nerve to tell me that I had an "interesting" haircut. The speaker did not like it, and the speaker was trying to be positive. But positive or negative, the speaker was still judgmental and superficial

Someone told me that I was the most "interesting" person he knows

A volunteer counselor had the nerve to tell me that "it's interesting you would be involved in something outside yourself". The counselor made it sound like I was only interested in myself. Egocentric and selfish. But the counselor phrased it in a way that was not negative or positive inherently

A clinical psychologist had the nerve to tell me that my failure to comb my hair and iron my pants showed that "you don't care about yourself". :ninja:

:P

:D

See? Precious lil volunteer counselor? A clinical psychologist with a PhD told me I was :oops: selfless :heart: !

"Huh?"

"What?"

And that is the answer to the volunteer counselor's question of "what?"

But "what?" Is not the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me"

Okay?

"What?"

:?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:10 pm

No, but I'm pretty sure everyone else finds me boring. But then I find almost everyone else boring too.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

yes i am boring

lately all i do is:

walking
long time in bathroom
ride bus
eat
sleep
internet
read books

and i ain't got no precious lil "friends". the problem is that if you know how someone responds in one situation, you do not know how they will respond in any other situation. every situation is different. you can't just label someone "good" or "nice".

numerous times i made the mistake of trusting someone. and got huge punishments beyond imagination.

so i would rather fail to interact with the correct someone, than to interact with the wrong someone.

so what

being boring is not illegal

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:47 am

burnt_orange wrote:
Sometimes I want to appear boring so people will leave me alone.

Same. Though I probably am boring so it isn't too difficult. :lol: